LegacyGT.com

Intermediate and Y-pipes

Chrisman

Few questions from cat-back newbie...

I have a crucial DP and high flow catted mid-pipe that currently connects up at the doughnut to the stock exhaust.

1) can I replace just the Y-pipe?

2) can I buy just a Y-pipe? I notice Cobb sells Y-pipe+mid-pipe together.

3) where is the resonator? Is it in the Y-pipe?

4) Does replacing the Y-pipe=drone because of 2)

5) Do wagons have a different Y-pipe to sedans?

I haven't seen any ads for just a Y-pipe. They usually come with the midpipe. Cobb and AVO sell intermediate and y-pipe combo packages.

I noticed that Crucial sells a "shorty" DP and a midpipe with HFC. Does the stock midpipe have a cat (third cat)? And what does "shorty" mean when refering to a DP? Thank in advance.

The stock mid-pipe and the Crucial mid-pipe both have a cat.

Basically the stock exhaust has a 'shorty DP' ( with cat) followed by a mid-pipe with cat. Crucial sell a shorty DP without cat, and a mid-pipe with high flow cat.

Other vendors sell a one piece 'full length' DP that replaces those two pieces. Everyone has to put a cat of some type in the mid-pipe area or your exhaust will be stinky and polluting.

The stock mid-pipe and the Crucial mid-pipe both have a cat.

Basically the stock exhaust has a 'shorty DP' ( with cat) followed by a mid-pipe with cat. Crucial sell a shorty DP without cat, and a mid-pipe with high flow cat.

Other vendors sell a one piece 'full length' DP that replaces those two pieces. Everyone has to put a cat of some type in the mid-pipe area or your exhaust will be stinky and polluting.

Thanks for your response. That clears things up for me. It has finally clicked that the stock setup has Front, mid, intermediate, and y pipes (please correct me if I'm wrong).

• 1 year later...

Like DF, I'm piggy-backing on this thread. Are there any aftermarket resonated Mid/Y-pipe combos (regardless of I.D.) that bolt up to the stocker's DP donut flange. It appears that Megan "may", but then it doesn't appear that they also don't work with stock or other stock fitment cans. All of the rest seem to have a flat-flange setup.

I'm trying to figure out what available Mid/Y-Pipe setup to connect my Cobb DP to my Prodrive Cans and keep the stock donut gasketing and spring-bolts. The Prodrive inlets are 2" IIRC so would like something that also increases the I.D. of the Y-pipe connector-side too.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Get Perrin Y-pipe, best one out there. It does not mate to the donut (you loose it) but it has flex section. Future proof when you get 3 inch downpipe. It mates to stock dp without donut fine, although I used Remflex 3" inch gasket that I am sure helped with the seal.

I don't have plans to strap on a high output turbo so I'll be staying with the COBB HFC DP and want something that will mate, post-DP with the donut connector.

Get Perrin Y-pipe, best one out there. It does not mate to the donut (you loose it) but it has flex section. Future proof when you get 3 inch downpipe. It mates to stock dp without donut fine, although I used Remflex 3" inch gasket that I am sure helped with the seal.

More info on the Remflex 3" gasket?

Archived