LegacyGT.com

Subaru Legacy GT Wagon LTD

Hi guys,

I am inches away from buying a used 2005 lgt wagon With 33000 miles. But need to know some stuff about the car. I took it for a test drive and absolutley loved it. I have been reading lots of your topics and think you might be able to help me. Is there any reason i shouldnt get this car, what are any potencial problems i could be dealing with at this kind of age. I am looking to take it to Montana from Florida is this wise? Is it a good tourer? Judging by the test drive i would say this a very fun car, especially when a mustang v6 pulls up at the lights trying to look good and you smoke him. Are there any draw backs to this car at all?

As with any used car, look the car over good, study the service records, check the tires, and look for things that do not seem right. As for the remainder of your questions, almost any well maintained car with 31000 miles should easily make the trip from Florida to Montana. Just enjoy the ride .

Things to look out for on a 2005 model...

1) noisy wheel bearings

2) cooling fans that stay on full speed all the time

3) badly chipped paint - front end especially

4) clattering noise coming from the engine bay - probably a failing turbo

5) climate control and stereo displays fading/flickering

6) various dash and interior rattles (these are fairly common and not usually a big deal)

7) the stutter

8) burned-out headlights

9) all of the other typical used car issues (service/maintenance record, accident history, tire tread, etc...)

eles1 is there a cure to the stutter everything is good but that. Thanks for all the input guys its much appreciated

Aftermarket tuning, if you decide to go that route. Subaru has demonstrated that they either cannot, or will not, address it themselves.

Regarding the stutter, drive the car at a 60 - 70 and give it a little gas, see if you feel the stutter, if you don't . Then I would forget about it, if you do well then make your decision. Mine never had the stutter until I went to aftermarket tuning with Cobb tuning stage 1. Now it stutters, but it is really only a minor annoyance.

These are good cars, but like all cars they have their quirks, and overtime things will break. But 31000 is not a lot of miles unless someone raged on the car all the time.

The main thing is that overall it is a reliable car. Besides that, it is a very good looking car for a wagon, and it is extremely rare as they only made the 5-spd in a turbo wagon for the 2005 year. They are, needless to say, quite hard to find.

I've had one for almost a year and I'm still very happy with it. The only drawbacks I've found so far are minor: it runs a little rough when it's cold (but smooths out after a couple minutes), and setting the climate control to 'auto' engages the AC no matter what. No road trips yet but I'm looking forward to taking some with this car.

FWIW, two people have fixed stuttering cars by replacing an oxygen sensor in the exhaust system. I'm not aware of anyone who fixed it with tuning alone (usually the stutter resumes after a while).

So far for me I've only had the flickering stereo and the fan relay issue. However, those have been greatly outweighed by what a fantastic car this is. I love mine as much as when I first bought it.

It's a fabulous touring car and the AWD will certainly serve you well in the harsh Montana winters. Get some snow tires as soon as you get there!

I'd be more worried about how my body would react to moving from Florida to Montana than I would be about that car! :lol: :lol: :lol:;)

If you've done all the background checking and have had it thoroughly inspected by a mechanic then I'd say pull the trigger!

Cheers!

-Ian

We've got this same basic wagon and seem to have the only one in the area; the rest are OB. The only limitation for using this model in Montana is the limited ground clearance. We had the sedan out to a friend's Blackfoot Valley cabin last weekend and hit a rock or two while going up their gravel road. You won't need real snow tires unless you're driving to a ski resort every day. Both of ours still have the stock tires but once they wear out we'll get regular mud-and-snows and especially the Michelin's will make you think it's a whole 'nother ride.

Archived