LegacyGT.com

How to make a JDM grille for 40bucks!!!(and some friends)

05USdmGTgUy

Well I got sooooo sick of the chrome factory grille that me and a buddy hacked it up!!! Now I already ordered the JDM BSK Sport grille from http://www.kingofimports and it should be here in 2 more weeks. I hope...(right Kevin@kingofimports.com)

Now the tools we used are simple...a dremel, some sand paper , and a phillips screwdriver(to take grille off)

After taking the grille off the car we cut out the ENTIRE center chrome "wings" w/ the badge and all. Trying to follow the outside line as much as possible. After sanding and smoothing all edges , and sanding the chrome part so paint will stick, I took it to a buddy's body shop who owed me a favor.(this is where the friends come in in the title) He painted it to match for FREE. Should only cost 50-60 bucks at abody shop if you don't have a friend to give you a freebie.

After that I spent 40 bucks at PEPBoys and bought an APC grille kit. Apc's definition of a grille kit is just a big peice of silver mesh! We sprayed it flat black and used tin snips to cut it to the size we wanted.

Now we took the badge off the wings we cut off, (be careful) and bent the mesh around the opening in the grille , and epoxy'd it all together. I'm attaching pix . The only problem is that the wings we cut out put pressure from top to botrtom , and without them you get a little gap where the grille meets the top of the bumper. Other than that I'd say it looks 1000% better than the factory grille , and is ALOT cheaper than 400 for the JDM one.

If anyone has a white 05' I will be selling this when my jdm one comes in , so PM me and call dibs if you are interested.

Comments and feedback would be great.

Mike.....

DSCF0091.JPG.b2a66a590095825f7f4ae964a0d9d84e.JPG

DSCF0092.JPG.afab078590ac53c4bbe03488b4a7913f.JPG

DSCF0093.JPG.b789280d042d69cd3e6123d197b5cfff.JPG

DSCF0094.JPG.3cdb89b7f44c71533b0028b65e02cb89.JPG

DSCF0095.JPG.82396d8539839a329340fe144af4e357.JPG

DSCF0096.JPG.3042f65ea17e897505d5f21ba950ad79.JPG

DSCF0097.JPG.372081b8c18fe88be595748d248f62ff.JPG

Thanx guys. As far as trusting yourself , it's not bad . You just give yourself alot of room to spare. Leave a 1/2 inch all aroud on the initial cuts , and just touch up from there. Use coarse sandpaper for the big chuncks , and fine stuff later. I don't trust myself to do the headelight mod , but this ism't even 1/2 as hard.(if you have a dremel , or a compressor like we did.) Mike.....

Very sweet! I didn't realize how much I don't care for the factory chrome thing until I saw how clean this looks. Heck, you should cancel your order and spend the money on some swaybars of something else. I think your "hack job" looks just fine. Who cares about the small notches.

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I have actually been thinking about doing this myself. I got as far as calling the parts department and getting the price for a new grill incase I F’ed it up ~150 FYI. [/size][/font] [size=3][font=Times New Roman] [/font][/size] [font='Times New Roman']Looks good! [/font]

Guest *Jedimaster*
I think you did a damn nice job! A little area to fix up here and there, but all in all, very nice and a subtle difference that would only be spotted by anohter enthusiast :cool:

[quote name='silviaparts.com']Our company is going to produce something just like that shortly. We have already bought the stock grill and will make a grill exactly the same as the stock grill, except without all the things in the middle.[/QUOTE] [font='Times New Roman']Estimated cost? [/font]

[quote name='jedimaster']I think you did a damn nice job! A little area to fix up here and there, but all in all, very nice and a subtle difference that would only be spotted by anohter enthusiast :cool:[/QUOTE] Hey your Euro grill didnt look that bad lol

Our office is located in NJ, but all our products are directly shipped from our warehouse in Asia. Yes, we can the grill too, cost will be about $60. We usually do not deal with front lips, however, we should be making some other parts as soon as we can source the seed parts to mold from.

Am I the only one who thinks that grill makes the car look too much like a WRX? Not to knock your job-- that looks like you did what you wanted to do pretty well, but I don't know... there's gotta be another look that is not over the top like this one, but doesn't have the WRX look to it

I think it looks pretty good. You definately have a large brass set. I pulled my grill a while back and after a quick glance, put it right back. It looks like you would have to look pretty closely to catch any of the gaps/cuts. Nice work.

Thanx for all the positive responses guys! I think the only thing that will bother me is that the bottom doesn't line up. I wish I could find a way to put pressure down there to gtet it closer . Oh well. It sure is better than the Oldsmobile look. Plus I had a gift card to PEPboys so the APC crap really was free. Mike........

Yeah it is angled up because of the way the mesh sat. I could have put a tappered spacer in or something but again I'm gettin the real deal holyfield from japan soon so I didn't want to invest too much time. Mike... Thanx again for the posotive responses. I think 110.00 bucks shipped in the continental US is fair if anyone wants it. The paint is a professional match.

Archived