LegacyGT.com

Drop in filter vs. intake

DoubleM

Hi. Since I don't have an accessport for my car yet, I was thinking about playing around with an spt intake. I've heard all the stuff about it messing up your car and all that, but I heard one last night, and they sound too nice for me to not want one. Another legacy owner was saying that a drop-in filter would give me a little more turbo sound, but not nearly as much as an intake. Has anyone had expirience with both of these, and could tell me how they compare sound-wise? How much louder does the turbo and bypass valve get with just a drop in? Is the difference even noticable with the windows down? Thanks!

if sound > a solid running car, then go for the spt intake. i loved the sound, it was addicting, but all the things that have been said about the spt intake are true. heat soak is terrible (with or without the "shield"), intake temps run higher, and the maf readings are inconsistent resulting in inconsistent performance and hesitations beyond the stutter. i went back to the stock airbox + k&n filtercharger and - the air silencer. it isn't quite as loud as the open intake, but you can still hear whats going on. read the comments posted here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64072 if you need more proof of why the spt intake is horrible. and if you want to try removing your air silencer first and throwing down $50 for a k&n here is a link for that as well... http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955 . hope this helps. tc.

Hi. Since I don't have an accessport for my car yet, I was thinking about playing around with an spt intake. I've heard all the stuff about it messing up your car and all that, but I heard one last night, and they sound too nice for me to not want one. Another legacy owner was saying that a drop-in filter would give me a little more turbo sound, but not nearly as much as an intake. Has anyone had expirience with both of these, and could tell me how they compare sound-wise? How much louder does the turbo and bypass valve get with just a drop in? Is the difference even noticable with the windows down? Thanks!

You've got Stage I power already.

You could remove the silencer for more noise and not mess up the OEM system.

I had a Perrin drop in and it was hardly noticable.

hmmm, ok. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Yeah, I know the spt intake probably reduces power if anything, but the song is great. But I would rather have a good running car than a nice sound, too bad I can't have both...

You've got Stage I power already.

You could remove the silencer for more noise and not mess up the OEM system.

I heard that even removing the intake silencer could mess up the intake as well, I heard that in the big intake silencer removal thread...sigh...

What about blow-off valves. I'm hesitant on getting one because some people turn it into rice, but having a not-too-loud one would be nice. But I heard that blow off valves can cause your car to run too rich....I can't win. Hahaha.

you want it to operate like it does now? leave it like it is now!

Spend all that BOV and Intake $$ on a Accessport (used 1.0, they are fine - why do you need a color screen?!) for 400 - and then gut your downpipe and slap on a few Hogzaust washers.

Flash stage 2 - and it will be 10-fold any BOV or Intake will get you.

(PS - that is my car above :)

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I picked up a Blitz panel filter with a guard over the top from a vendor on here (IMPORTIMAGE) and love it. I noticed a definite improvement in performance with the X02 CatBack I installed the weekend before, and since you remove the front half of the airbox and the resonator below anyone nearby can hear all of the turbo spool action. I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me.

The downside is that you're sucking in the hotter air from the engine compartment which could lead to early detonation in the cylinders but so far I haven't noticed anything. I'm currently looking into buying/fabricating a heat shield to separate the filter assembly and solve that problem, but I was told by a local performance shop owner that the temperature difference isn't great enough to be concerned with on the LGT.

I'm stock everywhere else on the powertrain so that could be a factor you should consider. Those with upgraded maps or Stage 1+ setups could see more problems with this configuration, but that's all theory until someone can present proof one way or another.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Archived