LegacyGT.com

Question about LGT (or Spec B's) differentials

piopio

I am aware that the car uses a viscous center diff and a torsen rear...but what about the front diff?

I think they have open diffs. The 07-08 Spec.B uses a Torsen LSD insted of the Mechanical LSD found on the 2.5GT Like i have. I have never got the front tires to spin very much but i do notice my left front tire wears more then the right. and the rear tires wear pretty evenly so its very possible that the front is an open diff. Prob easier for turning as well.

Here is what Wikipedia had to say about the viscous diffs:

Viscous LSDs are less efficient than mechanical types, that is, they "lose" some power. They do not stand up well to abuse, particularly any sustained load which overheats the silicone results in sudden permanent loss of the LSD effect.[4] They do have the virtue of failing gracefully, reverting to semi-open differential behaviour, without the graunching of metal particles / fragmented clutches. Typically a visco-differential that has covered 60,000 miles or more will be functioning largely as an open differential; this is a known weakness of the original Eunos Roadster sports car. The silicone oil is factory sealed in a separate chamber from the gear oil surrounding the rest of the differential. This is not serviceable and when the diff's behaviour deteriorates, the VLSD centre is replaced.

Is that still true of modern viscous LSD's, they will be worn out after 60K miles or so?

Archived