LegacyGT.com

Problems after windshield replacement?

okay, I got the glass replaced for 270bucks with heated element...

I signed the paper and got home.

I see that the passenger side airbag cover is lifted off of it position. I put it back into normal position, but its loose now. I can just shake it a little bit and itll come off...driver side doesnt do that. Picture is included.

Ive included the picture of the weird looking places..So tell me what you guys think about it.

It comes with 1 year workmanship warranty.

Got it done at a shop called Glass Masters.

090607_181934.thumb.jpg.76af4354f1764b345869a6f4225327bb.jpg

090607_182107.thumb.jpg.16ba824acf6782787c8ec003b7964a87.jpg

090607_182139.thumb.jpg.fa232f8723ca825fdf3013e0e730ecbc.jpg

090607_182338.thumb.jpg.1511cdbfae89a2c6e71c8f455a3de143.jpg

090607_182226.thumb.jpg.0e5a9c2003b4bc3e775ed013aa87273d.jpg

Yeah, call them up and tell them the guy did a real bang up job.

The installer likes to go crazy with that black sealant. On one of the windshields I had replaced, the guy got it on the inside headliner.

They'll probably fix it free of charge.

I think everytime I've had a windshield replaced in a car, it took more than one try to get them to put it back in the right way. What a hassle.

Its worth taking it back thats for sure. On one windshield I had done the glass company didn't know how to remove the side pillar trim, so they broke the clips and RTV'd it back on.

I was really unhappy when it fell off when I was turning the corner.

i got mine replaced earlier this summer at Elite Auto Glass here in Colorado. Pilkington aftermarket glass with the heating coils.

Fine until freeway speed in a crosswind, then the windshield vibrates very annoyingly. An earlier thread on windshields indicated that replacement jobs often are tricky with our cars. :mad:

i'm way out of my depth . . .

Had mine done last year under warranty because of wind noise. When they removed the windshield they found sealant gaps probably because the robotic gun ran out. Took me 18 months to convince the dealer there was a problem and then the installer did a crappy job re-installing the trim so now I have wavy trim surrounding my windshield.

Had mine done last year under warranty because of wind noise. When they removed the windshield they found sealant gaps probably because the robotic gun ran out. Took me 18 months to convince the dealer there was a problem and then the installer did a crappy job re-installing the trim so now I have wavy trim surrounding my windshield.

It's not the installer's fault, it's Subaru's. The replacement molding comes folded in a box. Your waves are pretty common to any leggy that has had the windshield and molding replaced.

-- Steve

Went to Safelite just south of the beltway and got horrible service.

The guy doing my windshield did not know what he was doing - and he also didn't speak English. The molding clips were broken when he pushed them back in - so the molding just stuck out half an inch.

Brought it back, they made the same guy work on it again. Then next thing I know the car leaks. Every rain storm my carpet gets soaked. Water comes in from underneath the dash. Lovely.

Brought it back to them, they say it's not the windshield causing the leak.

Eventually the leak fixed itself (somehow - maybe it's because it's summer...) but it sucks when you spend a lot of money trying to get professional level service and you end up getting crap.

I had Safelite replace my winshield on my prvious Audi S4. The first time he started ripping my mirror off and then found out he had the wrong windshield. I had to drive around for a few days with a severely damaged windshield. Then when they installed the correct one ( I requested an OEM windshield against their discretion - F them) So they installed it, gromets were broken and it leaked. They came back and repaired it and it was fine. A year later I found gromets missing from under the hood. They replaced them - twice because the first time they damaged them. Everything seemed fine after that. I would reccomend them, but look out.

Ah.. i took a trip down to GA, and on the last day of the trip, i checked my windshield. Found that molding was coming apart on the passenger side. So i had to put some tape on it to prevent it from coming apart.

It also seems like there is some loud wind noise. Its not those leaking noise, its the ones that hit your car and is making the deep whistle or similar noise.

I will take it back in on Monday and have them fix it.

This stinks.. I guess I should of went to some place better known for their service.

I demanded when my windshield was damaged due to a small rock hitting it that it be replaced with a subaru branded one, I would not settle for a substitute. I went to a dealer that I have known and trusted for aftermarket accessories and whtnot for probablly 5 years now. It took longer to get the windshield in and cost my insurance more (deductible+$175? somethin like that.. it was a pricey windshield) but it was well worth it.. you'd never know its been replaced.

sorry to hear of your troubles, I'd say those are definatley workmanship issues and if I were you I'd harass them several times a week until they got an answer for me on whats going to be done about it :p

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

still wondering why they removed the side inner pillars to install the windshield?? I don't think they did that with mine?

Im not sure why either.. It seemed like he was trying to rip it off or something. Even the cashier girl got in the action and tried to rip it off..

Looked like everyone in the shop was a mechanic. The Lady that answers the phone attatched trim to the glass. The other Girl tried to rip the pillars off. The main guy tried ripping it off too. The other guy tried also. And they finally get it off. So that gives 4 people working together. 2 real mechanics and 2 cashiers.

The also leave buncha glue stains in the car and outside the car.

Its just a horrible experience now that I think about it.

Im not sure why either.. It seemed like he was trying to rip it off or something. Even the cashier girl got in the action and tried to rip it off..

Looked like everyone in the shop was a mechanic. The Lady that answers the phone attatched trim to the glass. The other Girl tried to rip the pillars off. The main guy tried ripping it off too. The other guy tried also. And they finally get it off. So that gives 4 people working together. 2 real mechanics and 2 cashiers.

The also leave buncha glue stains in the car and outside the car.

Its just a horrible experience now that I think about it.

:eek::eek:.....sounds like time for a new shop! This reminds me of the good old joke that starts with How many ______people does it take to change a light bulb? :lol::lol:

but seriously, what the hell were the office women doing ripping shit off your car?

• 6 months later...

Havent check on this thread for a while..but i have a question for all you who had their windshields replaced. Do you guys notice any wind noise?? Like I can hear mine really loud that it gets in my nerves..

My sisters rx330 is really quiet compared to mine..(even camrys, and many other cars)

Wonder if its the installers fault... I forget how it was with the original ones before the installation. But I dont think it was that loud.

Anyone else with this problem??

i had an old mazda that got glass replaced.

several times the install was pure crap. same car same windshield.

go oem or forget it.

in all my experience they valued speed over quality. they had to redo it several times. best to do it on a warm to hot day. then don't drive for a couple of hours. you have to let it set.

I had my windshield shatter less then 2 weeks after owning the car due to a rock flying up off a damn dump truck on the freeway.

I payed $250 for a premium one to be replaced but I didn't get the heated element because I don't really need it anyways.

this one has had a few good sized rocks and crap hit it but has not cracked or chipped at all.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

Archived