LegacyGT.com

HID retro question: Safe place for the ballasts?

bman

I've been looking on HID Planet and I wanted to know what the retro-ers here were doing about this? Since there's no sealed place to mount the ballasts, where are people putting their ballasts? Especially where I am (in the N.E.) there's snow, salt, and rain to worry about. I saw that I can "pot" the ballasts but, that seems like an extreme.

Thanks

Yea those are the ones I used, Yes they get hot but mines didnt melt the plastic bag I didnt run into any troubles. Just checked it when I had the bumper off and changed it every season.

>> ziplock it and e-tape

what about the heat from the ballasts? wouldn't it melt the plastic?

also, which ballasts are you using? I'm considering denso slims.

Mr.350

My driver's side is on top of the windshield washer fluid reservoir and the passenger is under the headlight. Both are held in place with the double sided foam tape. Going on strong for 2 years now.

X

---

I did not do anything. I check them once in a while, and they seem perfect.

X

if you place it in a decent area it really wont get affected, i also did nothing to protect em

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

kjiz,

I thought the covers were only the bottom half? The top half being part of the headlight assembly w/ a hole for the wires to reach the bulb?

The pics I've seen of the LGT ballast mount w/ cover is under the headlight assembly and there's a gap where stuff (water, salt, dirt) can get in and corrode the ballast. I'm thinking long term what that's gonna do to the ballast. :confused:

• 2 months later...
My driver's side is on top of the windshield washer fluid reservoir and the passenger is under the headlight. Both are held in place with the double sided foam tape. Going on strong for 2 years now.

X

same here, driver side is velcro'd to top of washer fluid bottle and passenger side is ziptied to chassis under headlamp.

A couple layers of 3m professional duct tape will keep them safe for the entire time you own the car.

just make sure if you dont have sealed ballasts like the older hellas or kioto (lexus toyota) that you seal up where the wires enter really well. water always finds a way in. i had to use some silcone sealant since my ballasts are far from being a sealed type :)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

drivers side lowbeam i bent the bracket to HID ballast and threaded it through the battery tie down bolt.

drivers side fog I 3M double side taped it to the windshield washer reservoir.

The Passnger side lowbeam and fogs a Zip tied both balast together, then ziptie the whole thing to the bottom of the intake (I removed the resonator) so theres a popit hole on the intake pipe from removing the resonator. Ill probably need to change that up because Im sure eventually ill wear a hole into the air intake.

Archived