LegacyGT.com

Lousy Brakes

frontrangeSubie

[quote name='il collaudatore']If people are saying to switch the tires, switch the pads, and deal with the lack of initial bite on the pedal to feel the true power of the brakes, then that's a fault on Subaru's part. Because most people who buy this car will not know, want, or care to start fiddling around with the brake components. That's like saying a Civic has one the best performing engines around- you just have to flash the ECU, and bolt on a turbo, and then you'll see how good the engine is.[/QUOTE] You said it better that I did....I just know that our brakes don't stop our cars very good! Tires...brakes...whatever...Subaru should be embarrased

[quote name='RobY']please read... it is absolutely the tires... [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5487[/url] If you are not skidding the tires at all bring the car back to the dealer... It is VERY easy to lock up the tires with a 100 percent stock system. Some have even done 90-0 stops leaving tire trails the entire way. The european car may be diffrent but the brake system is exactly the same. If you do not want to listnen to people who actually have changed out the tires only to realize that their braking increased tenfold thre is very little I can do to help you.[/QUOTE] Hate to burst bubbles but it IS NOT only the tires. These tires come OEM on various other brands and they do not have these horrific stopping distances. I was reading an older Motortrend issue the other day and saw a car that weighed more then the Legacy with the same tires stop 30ft shorter. Ill give you the exact model when I get home.

Whats the tire size I bet it had a softer more compliant sidewall. Read Pradet's post for further detail In the brake discussion sticky. Also are they 60-0 or 70-0 tests :D I am confident it IS the tires. It only makes sense when all magazines tests the cars TO THE POINT OF IMPENDING LOCKUP. Meaning the brake system overwhelms the grip of the rubber. Its simple physics. Also what re92 version were they RE-92a's? There are about a dozen diffrent versions of the tires with diffrent speed ratings and compunds. Therefore it is incorrect to say that because other cars have the same tire therefore its the same. What is the tire pressure? Do you know which version of RE-92's? What is the speed rating? Is it the same size tires? All of these effect the tractive surface of your contact patch. If you can show me another car with the same tire size running the same compund RE-92 with the same speed rating runing the same pressure stopping with a diffrence geater than a few feet I will eat my words. This is why I always look at magazine one pass brake rating with a grain of salt. All it does is measure braking performance as a function of tire traction. We can argue this till our face turns blue but the laws of physics says you can only stop as fast as your least tractive surface. The brakes obviousy lock up the tires with minimal effort.

[quote name='franklin']Is it the tires? is it the pads? Is it some other design weakness? It would be inlightining to see an instrumentated test of just how much difference different tires and /or brake pads would make. Seat of the pants impressions are too unrealiable. Any body (or Vendor ) want to jump in and solve the puzzle with actual before and after test results? Would be nice to KNOW what to invest in to get some return. Hey COBB dont you sell some aftermarket pads-- What do they do mto help?[/QUOTE] it's the stock tires, I'll tell you that much.. then the next thing to go is the OEM brake fluid with a low boiling point.. then the pads are next in line to change out. If Subaru took the time to replace the RE92s with the GD009s, they would have a way better braking quality with a slight sacrifice in road noise (whoop-di-do). A bottle of ATE Super Blue brake fluid is $10. Best mod yet. The stock pads have a low friction coeff., but they dont squeal or create a lot of brake dust. For what I have driven already, it's really the tires fault for not giving the brakes the actual recognition.. the next great upgrade is draining out the OEM brake fluid and putting some better brake fluid with a higher wet boiling point. Just to give everyone an idea of who I am, I own 6 to 7 sets of rims for my Legacy GT and all sorts of different tires to go with them (from racing to wet, to all seasons and street summer tires). The GT can stop on a dime if you give the car the right "shoes" to wear. Oh yea, I DO drive my car like I stole it and keeping it for my own collection. I do take care of my car and I do more maintenance on my car than a LA-Supermodel going to a photoshoot every other day. Oh yea, as for brake pads, the JDM brakes (non-brembo) are the same as USDM, you here is the thread of all the JDM brake pads you can get for the GT.. I am in the process with working out some specs with [url]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] to supply me some various [url]www.endlessusa.com[/url] brake pads (namely CC-A and CC-X brake pads :D :D ) Here is the thread for JDM brake pads: [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4617[/url] Keefe
Keefe

I concur it's the tires as I have the stock RE050As and they are fantastic. Car stops perfectly even in the wet, handles like a dream. It would be hard to make it handle better although I know it could be done - but there's really no point for normal city driving. When I get new ones I will have to be careful I don't go backwards as these are only OEM I believe.

[quote name='fan42025']I concur it's the tires as I have the stock RE050As and they are fantastic. Car stops perfectly even in the wet, handles like a dream. It would be hard to make it handle better although I know it could be done - but there's really no point for normal city driving. When I get new ones I will have to be careful I don't go backwards as these are only OEM I believe.[/QUOTE] The RE50A are awesome, that is right. I also was very astonished about how they perform and how quiet they are. I already did the swap to 18" summer tires and have Dunlop Sportmaxx in 225/40 18 on them. There is a slight improvement in handling, the noise is quite the same. Now I have Pirelli winter tires on the OEM 17" wheels. They are really not bad, but the RE50A are better, that is for sure (unfortunately not in the snow, so there is a reason to get winter tires)

Totally agree with Keefe (Xenonk). I drove 250 miles at Barber Motorsport Park, and have absolutely no complains about the brakes, even with stock pads [I have Kumho MX, ATE Gold, Goodridge SS-braided lines]. In my opinion, Subaru of America just tells their long-term supplier Bridgestone to give them the cheapest thing that's: - round & black - all-season - V-rated The RE92 has been around for ages, and had been on Imprezas and Legacies for ever. Well, what can we do to have SoA change their mind? I don't know, and I'm not going to wait to find out.

i dont get it, i thiknk these brakes are fcuking awesome...why? cuz it has saved me from exactly 4 accidents, all in the rain. the ABS saved my arse. even with the shitty RE92s. i love these brakes and they should be better with some ss brake lines. A LOT better with some new tires. so in my experience, these brakes are the best ive used.

[quote name='awdG35killer']i dont get it, i thiknk these brakes are fcuking awesome...why? cuz it has saved me from exactly 4 accidents, all in the rain. the ABS saved my arse. even with the shitty RE92s. i love these brakes and they should be better with some ss brake lines. A LOT better with some new tires. so in my experience, these brakes are the best ive used.[/QUOTE] Hope you know that you can stop shorter with threshold braking ;) At least this ABS system isnt as easily engaged as the WRX.. and I think it's because of the design of the chassis on the GT being a longer wheelbase [I]IF[/I] the ABS parameters are still similar from the WRX. Keefe
Keefe

Archived