LegacyGT.com

poor crash tests

Thats for the 2.5i I have the GT I'm safe. :rolleyes: My bosses wife was t-boned at 50 mph and broke her pelvis a couple weeks ago and she had the side impact and curtian bags. The cops reported if she did'nt have those she would be dead.

Well, safer than the Honda Accord or Mazda6 according to the Aussies! Subaru's new generation Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive Legacy and Outback have been awarded the best ever five-star crashworthiness ratings in independent testing performed by the Australian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP). Side and curtain airbag-equipped variants of Legacy and Outback have achieved ANCAP's highest recorded five-star points tally - 35.52 out of a possible 37. In what is believed to be a world-first, even the non-side/curtain airbag equipped variants of both cars achieved five-star status, scoring 32.57, underlining their structural integrity. The results mean that all Legacy and Outback models outrank key rivals in independent crashworthiness testing. These include the side/curtain airbag-equipped Honda Accord, which scored 28 points in identical Euro NCAP testing, and the side/curtain airbag-equipped Mazda6, which scored 26 points in Euro NCAP.

is the legacy referred to as the liberty in austrailia? looks the same, i wonder if there are any structural differences between the libery and us model legacy . It did really well in the ancap. here is the link [url]http://www.aaa.asn.au/NCAP/PDF%20Docs/libertc04.pdf[/url]

[quote name='crex']is the legacy referred to as the liberty in austrailia? looks the same, i wonder if there are any structural differences between the libery and us model legacy . It did really well in the ancap. here is the link [url="http://www.aaa.asn.au/NCAP/PDF%20Docs/libertc04.pdf"]http://www.aaa.asn.au/NCAP/PDF%20Docs/libertc04.pdf[/url][/QUOTE] If anything I'd expect the USDM versions to be safer since the Aussies don't have to deal with the rolling WMD that we have (SUV's) to the same degree.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gave the Outback sedan 5-stars across the board: Front Driver, Front Pass, Side Driver, Side Rear Pass 5 5 5 5 Better ratings than the the 2004 Accord, Camry, Mazda6, Altima, Passat... I'm sure the list goes on, just tired of looking them up! There was debate about this months ago, something about the differences in weight, speed and height causing the vast differences. -B

i see that this was discussed before in another thread, i read the differences between the tests which account for the differences in the safety performance. Basically the IIHS uses an impact barrier that is supposed to represent an suv to legacy collision and the test dummy is the size of a female. ANCAP simulates a car to legacy collision which is why the results are better.

[quote name='Beanboy']There was debate about this months ago, something about the differences in weight, speed and height causing the vast differences. -B[/QUOTE] Thats exactly what it is. From what I have read, the Department of Transportation uses a test the simulates a car striking the vehicle. IIHS's test are more sever. But some would say the IIHS are more realistic. -Nick

Realistic.... that's the thing: these are lab conditions. Yes, they help make comparisons among cars, but they are really only valid if the "real world" accident is exactly like the lab test (same speed, same height, same angle, etc). Any variance, and there could be different results.

[quote name='Jonny Bradtmueller']Do you plan on crashing alot? [b]I don't know about you but when I bought the car I didn't think about " how is this car going to handle a side impact ? [/b]" Well I aslo owned a Honda CRX Si when they first came out so that's not saying alot. :redface:[/QUOTE]I did. Side impact bags were an easy sale to the wife. Plus after my boss's wife's accident I'll never go without.

Guest *Jedimaster*
There was an Outback commercial on tonight that mentioned the 5 star rating of the OB and how it did better than a bunch of SUV's. That's comforting to know.

[quote name='sduford']You guys all seem to be concerned about safety, then I hope you all replaced those RE-92A tires as soon as you got the car! Tires are the single most important safety factor on your car.Sly[/QUOTE]Granted, tires are an important safety factor ON the car, but what goes on between the ears and how you use it is the biggest safety factor IN the car, IMHO. ;) SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The Legacy's body is just as rigid as the Outback's body. The only reason the Legacy got four stars in terms of side impact versus the Outback's five stars is because like someone mentioned above that the U.S.'s test is with an SUV. The added height from any SUV will prevent any sedan from having five-star protection in regards to side-impact with an SUV because it will hit the upper part of the doors and lower windows.
-ben

When I first heard about the IIHS test results, I was a little PO'd. Now that I've done a little more research, though, I'm not concerned about the Legacy's safety anyore. Here's what I found: Curtain airbags save reduce fatalaties by 45%, but torso airbags reduce fatalaties by 10%: This means that our effective curtain airbags are much more important than our apparently subpar torso bags. I found this info on the IIHS website. Watching crash test videos: You can go on progressive.com and watch the different crash tests done by the IIHS. When you look at it, it appears that the Legacy's structure is very strong (looks more solid than Accord/Camry). The ratings on the tests verfify this. Our cars have better head restraints than most other sedans. Check the IIHS website for this. I think you can rest assured that the Legacy is a pretty safe bet. Safe drivin', everyone Austin

[quote name='Austin2.5i']When I first heard about the IIHS test results, I was a little PO'd. Now that I've done a little more research, though, I'm not concerned about the Legacy's safety anyore. Here's what I found: Curtain airbags save reduce fatalaties by 45%, but torso airbags reduce fatalaties by 10%: This means that our effective curtain airbags are much more important than our apparently subpar torso bags. I found this info on the IIHS website. Watching crash test videos: You can go on progressive.com and watch the different crash tests done by the IIHS. When you look at it, it appears that the Legacy's structure is very strong (looks more solid than Accord/Camry). The ratings on the tests verfify this. Our cars have better head restraints than most other sedans. Check the IIHS website for this. I think you can rest assured that the Legacy is a pretty safe bet. Safe drivin', everyone Austin[/QUOTE] Austin, Just to be on the safe side, maybe you should give up driving and stay indoors. Pray that a airliner does not crash into your home.:eek:

Recent side and front impact safety tests for a wide variety of cars here in Oz showed the Legacy/Liberty was in general better than BMW, Merc, Audi, Honda, etc. "equivalents". So rest assured, the GT is a very safe car.

Archived