LegacyGT.com

Advice on Removing Centre Air Vent Grill Unit

RegalBlue1000

I have a rattle in the centre air vent grill just above the radio and air conditioning controls. The strip down guide states that there are three pawls along the top edge of this unit which when removed allows the whole unit to pull out.

Given the tolerances between the centre air vent grill and the rest of the dash are quite narrow I can't see the pawls and don't know how to make them disengage so that removal can occur. I have assumed that a screwdriver pushed between the dash and the unit may allow you to push the pawls off but I am not sure if this correct.

If anyone has done this before as part of an audio install or so as to fix a rattle can you please advise how you get the pawls to release. Supposedly a similar approach is taken to the side HVAC vents although I couldn't see how these released either.

Thanks in advance.

26 - Air Vent Grill.pdf

your talking about the little cubby pod area. Take a small screw driver on the passenger side bottom and just pry it out. Then take it and just pull it out. Trust me the abuse taht i put mine through to get them damn gauges in your not going to break it. Now have fun putting it back in. There is a nice little write up on Casopolis cubby pod homepage.

Link to my thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66581&highlight=cubby+pod

link to the install of the cubby pod itself. It will tell you how to get the piece out that your talking about.

http://www.casopolis.com/install/

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I don't recommend using screwdrivers fro any type of interior prying. They are too small, localizing all of the pressure and will deform/scratch plastic.

The best DIY I've heard someone suggest here to remove the center cubby was using on old CD-r as the pry... much larger surface area and safer for the trim

ignore him, he'll go away.

idk how you all want to use metal objects on your dash. if you do just take your time, one wrong slip means hello scratch. If you pop a lot of panels get a good set of plastic tools like i posted above. It will save your vinyl, and your car will be happy and scratch free.

Archived