LegacyGT.com

My Outback today stage 2

This is my Outback today. [url="http://www.ktrperformance.com/gallery/Project_Cars/05_Outback/05_outback_main.htm"]http://www.ktrperformance.com/gallery/Project_Cars/05_Outback/05_outback_main.htm[/url] It has the Winter tires on now - winter sport M-3 on factory wheels. The next round of modifcations will start in two weeks , when we upgrade the Turbo, intercooler , sway bars and add water and methanol injection. Hopefully over 300whp then.

It's a deadbolt custom of IHI and Garrett parts - he expects 580 cfm vs 400cfm for VF-40 at 17 psi. Jerry is just finishing up the the first one for me - he can make more after that. The WI and TMIC should be 20-30 hp by themselves so 60 whp is a conservative goal.

[quote name='LandShark']Chucktoo, You should start sending some info into C&D or R&T to get a little writeup on it. I'd bet they would be interested because you don't find Outbacks done up this way.[/QUOTE] Good idea, when it's finished. Also, they tend to review modified cars that have a "package" from x tuner.

KTR is an amazing place - if you love cars you really need to go see them . They have cars you only read about . My car is a medium/small project for them . For example there is a twin turbo R-32 being upgraded now on the lift. If you can deam it and have a large enough check book they can build it. I can afford a 400+ whp Outback super car - it would be nice to dust Vipers and Vetts with an Outback or atleast for me. And I will have spent less money than either one. Charlie

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm not a fan of lowering cars in general and for me, I like the stance of the OB, but this picture is just meaaaaaaan! [img]http://www.ktrperformance.com/gallery/Project_Cars/05_Outback/outback_ext.jpg[/img]

What is different is the exhaust out of the compressor in the turbo - it exits up not to the side. The down pipe just needs a 4 in longer tail since out wheel base is longer. Mine was the first Maddad pipe they should be for sale soon. $390

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='chucktoo']What is different is the exhaust out of the compressor in the turbo - it exits up not to the side. The down pipe just needs a 4 in longer tail since out wheel base is longer. Mine was the first Maddad pipe they should be for sale soon. $390[/QUOTE] That was with the high flow cat right? I want catless.

Nice Chucktoo! I'm planning on more things on the side of handling and keeping power to essentially what the stock turbo and fuel system are capable of reliably handling (Cobb Stage 2), but that looks extremely impressive. Blowing away cars that are capable of much more sure is fun. :D

Got my Perrin TMIC today and the Deadbolt turbo is on the way. I have a V-7 riser [ tumbler delete ] I hope it fits , it should cut down air losses. See post in 2.5l turbo Perrin parts for pictures of TMIC. The car go in next week and I get it back right after the Hollidays. This will be a basic stage 3 for street use. The turbo is "Kong" like TD05-16g so it will not make a lot of power [ 300whp ? ] but should be real street drivable. It is supposed to be about 40% more flow than the stock Turbo. I will post results right after the first of the year. Stage 4 will not be complete till late April at the earliest - I need to get 1000 miles on the 2.8l before we turn up the boost and make serious HP.

I beleive Kongs are copies of Power Enterprises PE1818's and PE1820's Which are basicly hacked up VF series turbos fitted with larger wheels. Very effective 12 second turbos for WRX's. Definately very effective turbos. Definatley a 300 WHP turbo. Are you running the P18 or P20 IHI housing? I would think that a P20 housing would be a little better for a 2.5 liter motor. The p18 will give slightly better response but it will tend to choke off the topend. If running a p18 expect similar response to the VF39 which runs a p18 housing as well. EDIT: Oh you said "KONG LIKE" TDO5-16G... meaning you are running a mitsubishi turbo. Nevermind then....

We decided to do another intermediate Deadbolt turbo in January . It will be a VF-40 "Zilla" TD06H with a 20g compressor or larger if it can fit. This has the same turbine as a Super Zilla and a 44 lb compressor rather than the 49 lb in the Super Zilla . This is the most that will fit into a VF-40 compatible drop in housing. This should be about as much as can be done with with out major changes - like reverse mount turbos - all new plumbing and a different TMIC. To me this is the end of stage 3 . Stage 4 is a different story.

When all is said and done I will double the price of the car- the 2.8l is more than 1/2 of that. So it is about the price of a nice S4 or a small AMG Benz more or less ,but this is a lot more fun being stealth Subaru wagon. Dyno Dynamics is probably the lowest reading dynos out there but for tunring it is great since you have complete control of loading in every gear. When all is said and done I will get readings on other dyno's for comparision. All told the car will have spent about 4-5 weeks in the shop since is being done in stages. Being at the leading/bleeding edge and not all the parts are easilly available. Much of the time was spent waiting for parts needed at that stage. If you did it all at once and had all the parts together it should be doable in 2-3 weeks. Less than 2 week without the 2.8 l transplant. The 2.8l long block install will take a week by it's self maybe more if we run into problems. But if you want to make real torque it is the path all be it very expensive to go down. After having a fast car last year [ modified 944T 2.85l 365whp 408 ftlb wtq] I decided I wanted to have one of these for everyday use just a little more practical than the Porsche. No rational person would go as far as I am . But I am 56 going on 26 and I can do it now so I will. I grew up too fast and had to become too responsible too early . Call it a midlife crisis or I think of it as being able to say I have no major regrets for things not done. I have been engineering toys for others for 33 years now it is time to engineer a toy for me. The NHRA just changed their rules and you can run down to 11.50 without a roll cage - a sub 12 second 1/4 mile is super car territory and in an Outback Wagon. The place I expect most would stop is with all the plumbing upgrades - the Zilli like turbo, bigger TMIC and maybe fuel if needed. I expect this will be in the range of ~300-350whp we will know in a few weeks. If you are crazy enough to start down this path find a really good shop to work with for when shit happens which it will.

Archived