LegacyGT.com

Any experience with this E/L Header?

mschmidt

I have been planning to go stage II shortly and am contemplating a header at the same time. I would really like an E/L design since the top end on my LGT is horrible.

I was looking around on eBay (I know!) and came across a particular design that I think would fair pretty well in terms of top end performance and durability. I like the location of the spherical joint for install ease, and that coupled with the flex joint location should suffice for durability. Quality (eBay) is a concern though. Any thoughts. Some links below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUBARU-WRX-STI-HEADER-EXTRACTOR-TURBO-MANIFOLD-94-05_W0QQitemZ330157801091QQihZ014QQcategoryZ43808QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUBARU-WRX-STI-HEADER-EXTRACTOR-TURBO-MANIFOLD-94-05_W0QQitemZ330158161492QQihZ014QQcategoryZ43808QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-06-WRX-STi-HEADER-UP-PIPE-Equal-Length_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQihZ004QQitemZ140150082894QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Having EL APS headers I could criticise these but ..... :)

They certainly are interesting, I don't think I've seen a similar design using a spherical connector. Not a bad idea

However, I take exception to their claims, specifically "quicker spoolup." By now everyone knows, or should, that the stock manifolds provide the best spool, all else being equal. That said, you can get most if not all that spool time back with proper wrapping. Otherwise the open pipes and greater runner length cool the exhaust between head and turbo costing flow velocity. Wrapping is another story, one hotly debated but generally regarded as decreasing header life. (I'm one of those who has and argue FOR wrapping, but mine is APS's own system :) )

If you didn't already know, EL headers change your GT's voice almost completely. Some like it and some do not. I do. Subie motors will always sound like Subie motors to some degree but EL headers remove most of the boxer rumble.

Honestly, getting headers just to have headers is not a good use of money. Get headers if it is part of a bigger modding plan. Correctly implemented they will increase your volumetric efficiency, a good thing, but VE encompasses the whole motor system from intake to exhaust tip. Do it all in context. Then get tuned properly.

Dollar for dollar the most impact you will ever make to your car will be a turbo, this assumes an already existing "stage 2" level. An UP/DP and a turbo will bury any and all other mods.

Then why do I have EL headers? Because I am old-school (hey! watch it!) and personally believe in VE as part of my own mod path. While I started with gutted stock parts I now have every mod a VF40 car can have for power. It rips :) . But don't believe getting these headers from Ebay, or any others, will somehow transform your car. Get them if headers are part of a larger more comprehensive picture. Merely adding them to a DP will disappoint.

As far as your "horrible" top end? Short answer: TURBO. Period.

I agree with SeeeeeYa. These aren't carburated V8 engines that will get huge gains from just adding a header. It should be part of a larger plan to prep for a bigger turbo. MY new header/UP will be my last mod after UP/DP/CBE/TMIC/PULLY/STS/AEM CAI an Access Port and a tune. Now all I need for more power is to get a bigger LGT style turbo package.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived