LegacyGT.com

Quick Snow Cable Question

Okay - I know you guys answered my question about which cable to get for my Legacy in order to better handle the snow (and more importantly, get passed the checkpoint). But now I have another question - front wheels, or rear? Would clearance be better in the rear? Or would having assistance on the front (steering) wheels be better? Thanks in advance! :spin:

Okay - I know you guys answered my question about which cable to get for my Legacy in order to better handle the snow (and more importantly, get passed the checkpoint). But now I have another question - front wheels, or rear? Would clearance be better in the rear? Or would having assistance on the front (steering) wheels be better? Thanks in advance! :spin:

:rtfm:

Just keep a box of chains/cables in your car's trunk... I've never had to put them on going to Mammoth, Tahoe, or Big Bear. This is assuming you're using (at least) M+S rated tires.

From the Caltrans web site;

• R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed.
  • R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.
  • R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions.
  • R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.

Don't over-drive conditions, and you should be fine.

-Mike-

This is something I wasn't sure of:

Just keep a box of chains/cables in your car's trunk... I've never had to put them on going to Mammoth, Tahoe, or Big Bear. This is assuming you're using (at least) M+S rated tires.

From the Caltrans web site;

• R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed.
  • R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.
  • R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions.
  • R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.

Don't over-drive conditions, and you should be fine.

-Mike-

M+S == snow tires? My understanding is that M+S is a designation on all-season tires. So when they say snow tires in the R2 condition, do they really mean dedicated snow tires or all-season with M+S is fine?

a snow tire will say m+s on it. m+s means mud and snow. a dedicated winter tire that should be used in snow only will have the snowflake in the triangle logo. m+s tires are allseasons
Nope. M+S is the old rating that corresponds to any tire that meets certain tread design requirements meaning it won't be a slick in the snow or mud. (Doesn't mean it is actually a good winter tire)

The snowflake label has to be on the tire for it to be considered a "snow" or winter tire. There are LOTS of snow and winter tires (not M+S all season) that perform better than the RE-92s and many other all-seasons on dry warm pavement, or wet warm pavement. And then they spank the All-seasons in snow and ice too :lol:

:spin:

In the mountains, you would be surprised. You get packed, icy snow on steeply banked roads, and bets are off. All seasons become pretty much useless. H2s with off-road tires are sliding sideways without control.

An OB or Legacy with dedicated snow tires will track like it's on dry concrete and brake like it's a pleasant, rainy day. Add studs and even the braking comes back within normal parameters. If you ski, snowboard, or do other winter sports in the mountains, a dedicated set of snow tires is very much worth the price.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I know you guys all think that you can get past checkpoints without chains/cables, but I'm telling you, CHP makes EVERYONE do it - regardless of AWD or 4-wheel drive. I don't know why, they just do. So I have a 3.0 with all-seasons, and the question is still - front, or rear?

OK, one last time - for all of you who live outside of CA, let me tell you something - we don't get enough weather here to justify having an extra set of rims with winter tires on them. (Breathe...) I could see doing this if you live in say...Colorado, North Dakota, etc. I can't seem to get it clear to some people that CHP will not let you pass a checkpoint if a severe storm is in effect, regardless of your vehicle's handling capabilities. Chains ARE required at times. I've had this happen numerous time in numerous years. I'll have cables handy, but just wanted to know if people though the front or rear would be better places for installation, with pros and cons.

For example, I used to drive a front wheel drive, and of course would install them there. The downside, less clearance in the front and the turning radius was increased. Perhaps this is a non-issue with the Legacy? Perhaps rear is better anyways? I know getting the chains on the front is easier as you can turn the wheel to gain access to the inside of the tire.

i would think being awd you would want chains on all 4 wheels for the same reason you want matching tires on all 4 wheels

I would think that just having one set while driving on snow at slow speeds for a limited time is not going to do much harm.

My last car had a VC and the owner's manual said chains were OK for short periods and low speeds. I'm pretty sure that VC grabbed tighter and quicker than the Subaru's, too. Plus it's something you're only going to do in cold weather, so that'll help dissipate any extra heat. :)

if you do this, please do it on all four corners and use a set of low profile cables...

And I have lived in SoCal. Even then I had a set of rims/winters to throw on when I headed up to the mountains. It is not a big deal..

:spin:

Archived