LegacyGT.com

Impromtu 0-75mph test - 06 H6 vs 05 LGT H4T

A co-worker has a 2005 Legacy GT automatic sedan. So today we set out to find a closed circuit in which to safely measure acceleration. We found one near Route 101 in NH. The LGT has 41,000, the OBW 35,000.

We started from a dead stop, AC off, trans in Sport mode. We did not preload the transmission - just sat with foot on gas, but not depressed, and left foot on brake. We counted down via cell phone.

Simply put, from 0 to about 65 mph there was almost no difference. They moved together for what seemed like a long time. Somewhere between 65 and 80 mph the LGT finally started to pull away before we ran out of room.

Certainly the lower-geared, lighter manual H4T version would be faster in this speed range. But if you are selecting an automatic and don't spend much time accelerating at full throttle above 65 mph, drive both rather than assuming there is a big difference in this specific performance criterion.

We made no effort to time either car. Both of us have been riding motorcycles most of the summer but by mid-October we'll have had our fun and will be ready for some more comparisons.

I'm not goring an ox, here - by all means set up your own test.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Both cars have about the same hp, but the turbo makes more torque, but has lag.

Load the tranny and the LGT would have taken the lead easily.

The H6 makes more power from about idle to 3000 or so, then the LGT takes over.

Both cars have about the same hp, but the turbo makes more torque, but has lag.

Load the tranny and the LGT would have taken the lead easily.

The H6 makes more power from about idle to 3000 or so, then the LGT takes over.

So, you did the same test with both cars and loading the transmissions? Take any times?

I've been trying to find someone who did a stock 2.5T dyno run at TDC so we can compare them more precisely.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I think a lot of people choose the turbo over the H6 because of the performance "upside" (i.e. "modability"). The six is smooth, to be sure, but I didn't like the lack of aftermarket or the sounds it made. Something about its sound reminded me of a Toyota Tacoma.

If you are not looking to mod your car though, it is a very nice car. :)

How dare you post this post about racing 2 cars on the street? Don't you know that that is completely illegal? And to make matters worse, you don't even call me so that I can watch and film with my camera. Shame on you !!

How dare you post this post about racing 2 cars on the street? Don't you know that that is completely illegal? And to make matters worse, you don't even call me so that I can watch and film with my camera. Shame on you !!

Yes, racing cars on the street is illegal. That's why we didn't do any such thing. Ain't private property rights a grand thing? I have to say entering Route 101 from a ramp is much more scintillating.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Trying to find the date on my organizer but can't find.

Our local Subaru dealer had a road course, slalom, off-road course (you get the idea) set up for the testing of the Outback/Legacy. A local drivers club volunteered to drive the cars aggresively through the course and then sit with potential customers as they drove it.

Off the start the timing of the 6 cylinder and turbo2.5 where very simliar. They guys running the course admitted that the turbo was faster off the line if brake-torqued (vs the 6 cylinder being brake-torqued), but the Subaru people didn't want us to do that.

That's excellent! What dealer! That would really attract a lot more people to the brand then advertising safety and leather seats - and they might be young enough to buy three or four more!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

That's excellent! What dealer! That would really attract a lot more people to the brand then advertising safety and leather seats - and they might be young enough to buy three or four more!

Frontier Subaru in Winnipeg Manitoba. To a degree they let us beat on those things!

Archived