LegacyGT.com

Question regarding winter setup for 06 Spec B

Nightwish1094

Just picked up an 06 spec b. Im curious to hear what other LGT or spec.B owners opinions are for choosing a winter setup. Ive read the stickys and have a good idea of what sizes to go with. Im not sure of what rims to use.

Before i get to my options my main concern is what to do with the stock Spec B rims, i love the looks, and know that they are part of the main things that make it a spec.B, but some part of me wants a wider rim and lighter setup. But i do want to use the rims in some capacity as i think they do look great on the car.

My 2 options are basically:

Option 1: Keep stock 18x7 spec.B wheels and wrap them with winter tires. Main negative is cost of 18" tires for winter use.

and

Purchase wider/lighter 18 inch rim so i can run a wider tire during summer safer, as IMO the 18x7 rim is too thin for a performance tire setup, id like to run 235-245's. Probably OZ Ultraleggeras or if i get a raise soon some Volk's.

Option 2: Buy new set of wheels/tires. probably 17x7 cheap wheels off tirerack with a 205 wide winter tire

and

Keep stock spec.B set up for summer.

Option 1 is significantly more expensive, but hell, buying new wheels and putting them on is one of the most fun experiences of being a car enthusiast IMO.

Know its long winded, but just want to hear some thought from other LGT owners.

I bought 215 x 50 Dunlap M3 wintersports on ASA AR1 17 X 7 wheels for around 1250. Great tire drove with no problem thru any of last years snow storms. Just hit the si drive nob to cut engine power by 20% and away you go. Also this tires steering response on dry pavement is super.:spin:

Ouch. Tough decision.

I had my mind made up for me when I drove the new car home through a snowstorm and was frighteningly close to getting involved with a 75 car pileup that closed down the highway for 12 hours. BTW I was still on the stock summer rubber and wheels.

I pulled into a wheel shop and he had a sweet deal on wheels and winter rubber that somebody swapped out. Deal was too good to refuse at that time (and wanted to get home alive).

Some 6 months later I'm dealing with buyer's remorse. Not really the winter setup of my dreams and I still have my stock wheels for the summer. I'm constantly drooling over other wheels and will probably cave and buy a set of Rota Tarmac IIIs in the next year or so.

Good luck in your decision - but I would push you into using the stock wheels for the winter and getting some new bling for the summer.

I'm in the same boat as you. I need a dedicated winter setup as these tyres aren't going to cut it when i make my winter trips up to the mountains.

I myself am going with your 1st option. There are some decent snow tyres available in 18's and i'm going to pickup another set of 18's and run the stock spec.b tyres on those.

So the stock rims will house my winter tyres and the new rims (prob ssr or volks) will flaunt the stock spec.b tyres. Granted it is going to be a blow to the wallet, but hey ... its only money :rolleyes:

and besides, having the ability to swap to a winter setup in a few minutes is well worth the added expense.

I use OEM for summer and 17" wheels with 215/50-17 Contiextremes to closely match OEM circumference for speedo purposes and a little extra sidewall for pot hole season. The Contis are excellent in the snow for an AS tire and handle the dry very well.

I use OEM for summer and 17" wheels with 215/50-17 Contiextremes to closely match OEM circumference for speedo purposes and a little extra sidewall for pot hole season. The Contis are excellent in the snow for an AS tire and handle the dry very well.

what he said, it's nice to have some pot hole protection and keep the same clearance for those days when the snow just packs into the wheel well.

If you can't have studded tires, Nokian, Nokian, Nokian.

Archived