LegacyGT.com

Turn signal 'clicker'

OT, but can you change the front and rear bulbs to LED plug ins without ******* up the clicker? You know how most cars if the bulb is burnt out (change in resistance) the blinker will blink fast. Will it do it with LED's in place?

OT, but can you change the front and rear bulbs to LED plug ins without ******* up the clicker? You know how most cars if the bulb is burnt out (change in resistance) the blinker will blink fast. Will it do it with LED's in place?

Not without adding resistors. I have LED turnsignals just in the front for my Accord, and even with the potential meter mod i have, i cant slow them down to resonable speed.

The LED turnsignal bulbs each came with a resitor and wire taps to install them. But I was too lazy and dont really care about hyperflashing turnsignals so i just left them.

So if you want normal speed and LED turnsignals you have to install resistors.

An untouched factory turn signal circuit works off of resistance. When all bulbs are normal and in place, the amount of current traveling through the relay is what the relay is timed for. It is called a time-pulse relay. When you decrease the resistance on the circuit (remove bulb, add LEDs), you allow current to travel faster through the relay making it click (back and forth between allowing current and cutting it off) faster. Installing a resistor after putting in your LED lights can return the resistance of the circuit back (close) to normal, thus returning your clicking speed back to normal.

• 2 years later...

Anyone have any info about replacing the relay with a larger/louder one? I've done this a few times now when you realize several blocks later that your turn signal didn't click off, the wheel completely blocks the part of the dash with the lights, and if the stereo is on at all you just can't hear it currently. One of my biggest gripes about the ergonomics of the car.

The worst is I lose my mind when others on the road do this, I don't want to be a hypocrite anymore!

Could just be a matter of putting in a bigger flasher relay which is louder (it's in the fusebox). You may need to extend the terminals with leads if it won't plug right in.

Archived