LegacyGT.com

tires or bars ?

awdG35killer

tires or bars  

51 members have voted

1. 1. tires or bars

• TIRES
    • SWAYS and STRUT BARS

if its body roll you want to reduce go with sway bars. Later consider improved struts when they start comming out. Tires can make a big differance too but I cant see replacing them right away-use em somewhat then replace them later.

The most apparent difference good performance tires will make will be with both steering response and traction. Bodyroll will be reduced simply due to less sidewall flex. On the other hand, with a grippier tire you're expanding the limits of the car's handling which will result in a larger capacity for suspension-related bodyroll. All in all, tires really do make a big difference, but they're expensive and I find it hard to throw away a set of tires with plenty of tread left on them. It's none of my business, but since when do you buy yourself Christmas gifts? 'Tis the season for giving. Why don't you buy me new tires? lol

[quote name='SWortham']... and may I recommend the Yokohama AVS ES100 or Toyo Proxes T1-S. They're both great for their stiff sidewalls and for daily driving in dry or wet conditions.[/QUOTE] Have you ever driven a car with T1S??? They are known for very mushy sidewalls! I have them right now on a light car, and I can feel a difference from my old tires. The ES100's aren't much better, my wife has them on her A4. Both tires are good for DD and wet, but lousy for stiff sidewalls. /bill

Well I guess it's all relative. They are good in their class, especially for the price. Comparing them to the 'Max Performance' class of tires will probably make those tires seem less impressive. I've had the Kumho 712's and I've read direct comparisons between them and the tires I mentioned. I was impressed with the overall performance of the Kumho's but the others are better. Most people praise the Yokohama's for their progressive sidewall feel which outshines the Kumho's.

Tires, tires, tires...before swaybars. The Toyo T1s are a much better tire than the AVS ES100s. The Toyos are right up there with the SO3. And yes the T1s have softish sidewalls but in my 215/45 17 tire size, there isn't that much sidewall to flex. I just swapped my REcrappy2s for Pzero Neros on my 2.5i and it's changed the car drastically.

Is there a LGT friendly Azenis size? :D Those have some stiff sidewalls, and short of an R-compound, you won't lack grip! They are a ton of fun if there is absolutely no chance of snow, and they do very well in the wet too. Standing water does require some caution as the tread design just doesn't clear as much water as others. /bill

[quote name='bbbradley']Is there a LGT friendly Azenis size? :D Those have some stiff sidewalls, and short of an R-compound, you won't lack grip! They are a ton of fun if there is absolutely no chance of snow, and they do very well in the wet too. Standing water does require some caution as the tread design just doesn't clear as much water as others. /bill[/QUOTE] 225/45/17 for the RT-215 Azenis.. Falken will be releasing the RT-615 Azenis soon.. one thing to mention about the Azenis is that they have a narrow operating temperature range (around 60F to 90F for track temps).. when the ambient temps go below or above the track temps, the tires just dont grip at all. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='SWortham']... and may I recommend the Yokohama AVS ES100 or Toyo Proxes T1-S. They're both great for their stiff sidewalls and for daily driving in dry or wet conditions.[/QUOTE] i had es100's on my specV and loved cuz they lasted over 25k miles and plenty left and i felt confident in the rain...i might want the RE750s tho.

[size=1][size=1][size=1]Definitely tires first, then springs, then sway bar. Not too sure the cost/value of strut braces is better than springs. I've put on Conti Extreme Contacts, which I'll use until we finally get snow - then Hakka 2's. I'm pretty impressed with "ultra high performance" all season tires. I've used the Conti's and Michelin Pilot A/S's. I feel you get 90% of the performance of a full on summer tire, a quieter, more comfortable ride, and a tire which you can use year round. I'm seldom driving above 9/10s to justify the "highest" performance tires. I think the stock Bridgestones are a high mileage tire compromise for Subaru and one of the best value mods you can do, is change them out. I got $200(w/1000 miles) in trade-in on my Conti's from a local Discount Tire store. Just my opinion... [/size][/size][/size]

id like springs, but the potholes, speedbumps and those concrete parking dividers scare me and my bumper. i sometimes try driving like i have springs on but the concrete parking dividers always end up UNDER my bumper. so if i had springs(even if they lowered only .75 inches) my front bumper would be scratched to hell.

[quote name='awdG35killer']id like springs, but the potholes, speedbumps and those concrete parking dividers scare me and my bumper. i sometimes try driving like i have springs on but the concrete parking dividers always end up UNDER my bumper. so if i had springs(even if they lowered only .75 inches) my front bumper would be scratched to hell.[/QUOTE] show up on Wednesday at the SFV meet you will see my car with STi pinks, you could even ride on it to feel the difference with a stock springs

...why not all of the above at 1 time...Do you guys think if you put on a set of STi Pink Springs, Cusco front and rear strut bars, Cusco front and rear swaybars, Cusco front and rear lower arm bars, Volk Racing LE37K 17 x 7.5 with Toyo T1-S 215/45ZR17 and a set of STi valve stem caps will help body roll, handling and grip??? Hah hah do you do you??? ...get a second mortgage or a small bank loan and do it all in one shot!!! ;) Patience is the key to virtue...that's my advice, CRAZY KEN P.S. The LE37K and Toyo's alone makes the car handle better with stock suspension, but with the bars it will make it feel like you are riding on rails! Pushing the car with just wheels and tires is not good enough IMO. It's still scary, because of the unpredictable bounciness of the car over blemishing curves/turns. This is what I am currently experiencing...Save up and wait!!! Xenonk is going to install the bars listed above for me soon (I think Dec 18th) ...except for the Springs...they are on order! I'll let you guys know how it turns out!!!

Archived