LegacyGT.com

Re: Driving Stick

hi everyone, I just got my spec b yesterday and I've been practicing with the stick. I have a few questions to ask,

1. It appears in order to shift smoothly, when i'm releasing the clutch and it's getting to the sweet spot, I give it a constant amount of gas and then further release the clutch.

At this point, the car is already moving (not creeping) forward but my foot is still depressed a bit on the clutch (which then I completely let go) is this bad?

thanks again for all the advice.

That is exactly what you want to do. It's called rev matching. Ideally you want to "match" the engine RPM with the clutch in, to where your RPM's will be in the gear your shifting into, (at the speed you are at) when you release the clutch. As you gain more experience you will be able to do this by feel and without thinking about it. That will give you the smoothest shift. When you get better it will all kind of happen simultainiously. Your clutch foot will be coming out while your pushing your accelerator in. This is also the smoothest (and best) way to downshift. Hope this makes sense.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a great tip for beginners. Your e-brake is your friend! If you find yourself on an incline that you are less than comfortable with you can use the hand brake to keep you from rolling back wards. When you are at a stop on an incline put the car into first gear then pull up the hand brake (KEEPING YOUR FINGER ON THE BUTTON THAT DISENGAGES IT). When you move your foot from the brake to the gas the car will not roll back wards. It is important to keep your rpm up a little bit higher in this type of start. As soon as you find the "g-spot" or you feel the car start to pull slightly drop the break and your off.

Good advice. This is a what I do as well. Thanks Subaru for no Hill Assist.:mad:

Also, remember when you throw it into 1st gear when you start to move to fully disengage the e-brake (level ground). I've driven in my parking lot about 60 feet with the e-brake still on. This will only happen if you pull it up slightly on level ground. If pulled up all the way the car will not move.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

hey hey, pics very soon - it was a pretty hectic weekend (birthday was on saturday, and that's when i picked up the car) so they'll be coming :D

Thanks again everyone for the advice, I have a quick question though - this deals with the clutch "popping". When I'm slowly letting go of the clutch, maybe at 1/3 off the ground, there's this point where it feels like something is preventing the clutch from lifting off the ground, so I relax my feet more and the clutch would come up by itself, however, the motion isn't smooth its like:

*slowly releasing* smooth, smooth, resitance, *pop*, smooth, *engagement* point... etc.

is this normal? because I don't recall feeling that *pop* thanks!

• 1 month later...

update:

hi everyone, just wanted to give you an update on the manual driving situation - I've put around 5k mileage on my car and everything seems to be good. Quick question to the six speed owners though - what rpm do you guys rev up to when switching gears in general (as the gear ratios for 5 and 6 gears are different) for day to day driving ? I tend to goto 3k / clutch in / shift / clutch out then the car kinda bucks --- am I not adding enough gas?

Another quick question ----- when we're driving at per say 70 km/h, what gear/rpm should we be sitting at in mild traffic (where we don't want to burn too much gas, but need some acceleration from time to time)?

I've found that gas mileage has been very poor for my car - about 400 km per tank (and I dont' gun my car either.... =(()

Thanks again for your help everyone, I really do appreciate it ^^

Guest Gitster

3k RPMs is fine for either 5 or 6 speed.

If you want to be conservative and not waste too much gas, shift before 4k. In first and second you probably want to shift sooner, the 3rd and up.

The car shouldnt buck around 3k thats plenty of power

for the next gear.

When shifting from 5 to 6 you should try and maintain speed. Clutch engagement and shifting should be quick, precise and fluid not lazy. If you lose momentum before disengaging the clutch you will get bucking especially on a gradient.

Thats 248 miles a tank, about what 16-18mpg, I think your car just needs to be broken in some more. Also you need more cockpit time so you can optimize your shifting.

I would say do not upshift BELOW 3k. I usually upshift between 4 and 5k. If you want to wring its neck than upshift above 5k. :)

If you are driving conservatively, stay in a gear that keeps you at or just below 3k for steady cruising, than you have some usable torque. If you want to be a real gas miser, than kepp it in a gear that keeps you just over 2k.

i learned with my best friend's dad. we went to a parking lot when i was about 15 and he let me drive his Focus. it had a few modifications (exhaust, springs, CAI, tranny/motor mounts, lighter wheels) he made me put my right foot up on my left knee. then he instructed me to drive about the lot. just using the clutch he would have me get to speed, then coast to a stop, then repeat. then after about 15 minutes or so he let me bring the gas pedal into the equation. we practiced for about an hour longer, just that one time.

when i was 16.5 and i got my license i got my first car, a Ford Probe GT... 5MT. i drove it home from the dealer, about 20 miles. ive been driving stick ever since. i dont even think about it anymore. when i get in my mom's car i do smash the floor with my left foot tho, either the floor or the brake pedal....

3k RPMs is fine for either 5 or 6 speed.

If you want to be conservative and not waste too much gas, shift before 4k. In first and second you probably want to shift sooner, the 3rd and up.

The car shouldnt buck around 3k thats plenty of power

for the next gear.

THanks for the heads up - I think it's because I dont' put enough gas to compensate for the lost momentum during the gear shift.

When shifting from 5 to 6 you should try and maintain speed. Clutch engagement and shifting should be quick, precise and fluid not lazy. If you lose momentum before disengaging the clutch you will get bucking especially on a gradient.

Thats 248 miles a tank, about what 16-18mpg, I think your car just needs to be broken in some more. Also you need more cockpit time so you can optimize your shifting.

Yeah - on my navi system it says i'm at 13 mpg i think (or km per litre), I think it could also be related to the way I drive as I'm always worried about my coasting rpm (with still the need for accel). I find myself shifting to fourth gear very quickly - while trying to accelerate from 2k rpm.... that sucks the gas doesn't it?

The reason behind that is b/c I haven't driven a performance car before, and when I hit 3k + - it sounds like I'm hurting the engine (as it gets louder - but I'm guessing its suppose to be like that no?) ..

gawd. I'm such a noob.

I would say do not upshift BELOW 3k. I usually upshift between 4 and 5k. If you want to wring its neck than upshift above 5k. :)

If you are driving conservatively, stay in a gear that keeps you at or just below 3k for steady cruising, than you have some usable torque. If you want to be a real gas miser, than kepp it in a gear that keeps you just over 2k.

Scoop - quick question, when you mean do not upshift below 3k - is this applicable for all gears? (1 through 6)

Thanks again everyone for their tips!

Not saying you can't do it, but it gets a little boggy if you do, imo. Most noticeable 1-2 and 2-3, less so in higher gears. Sort of a trial and error, experience sort of thing. I would also say that you need to learn to keep a steady right foot in the lower gears, that comes with experience.... and when the revs drop too low and it starts to bog, time to throw out the clutch. All of this gets 2nd nature eventually.

Good excuse to drive more! :)

I rode dirtbikes since I was a kid. my buddy's family owned a garden shop we would ride down ther at night on our bikes when we were kids and drive around the pickup trucks with sticks in them all. Even had an old F100 with a 3 speed on the column. I learned to drive when I was around 12 or 13 I picked it up pretty easy though. Even though the clutch and shifting are reversed hand and foot on a dirtbike/atv I think your brain just learns to know when to shift and how to go through the motions

Archived