LegacyGT.com

Autocrossing in MA & NH

Garandman

speeddr7 asked about finding autocrosses and other competition events in Merrimack country so I thought I'd post what I know and others can add to it.

The New England SHO Owners Club will run two more autocrosses this year at Fort Devins, MA. Registration is $54. they've had everything from a Lotus Elise to a Z06 Corvette to a Toyota Matrix but I saw no Subaru entries. You can reserve a spot with PayPal or a credit card online. http://www.neshoc.com. I signed up for the Sunday Sept. 9 event.

New England Region SCCA has a number of events planned. Their schedule is at: http://www.ner.org/schedule.htm#solo. They have a big charity fundraiser coming up August 25-26 at NHIS.

COM Sports Car Club (long ago the Corvettes of Mass) hosts a number of time trials and driver's schools. Their schedule is at: http://comscc.com/schedule.htm

Most autocrosses require only a Snell standard 2000 or newer helmet. And they will allow motorcycle helmets (M2000 or M2005) in lieu of the generally more expensive SA2000 or SA2005 auto racing helmets. You don't need roll cages, 5 point harnesses, etc, etc.

Most Autocrosses are one minute or so runs through pylons. Often the entire course is done in second gear. Just about any street car in good condition will complete the course with no problems.

Time trials on a race course are a lot more demanding. You can expect to burn up a set of brakes in a weekend, and in a log practice session may experience brake fade, overheating, or both.

Another caveat: most suspension changes will move you from stock to prepared classes, where you will be competing against very well sorted out cars. No problem if you're just out to have fun. But if you think autocross is something you want to do, don't get oversized tires, new sway bars, etc: they will push you into the prepared class.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 weeks later...
ok just signed up for Sept 9th, Hey Dana still got that helmet?

Yes. It's a Shoei size Large. I have an XL and XXL as well.

And a co-worker with an 05 LGT sedan says he's going to sign up, which would be at least three Subarus. I'd guess a few WRX's will show up as well.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Here's more info.

7:00 - Gates open

7:30-8:30 - Tech Inspection

8:45 - Driver's meeting

9:00 - Walk course

9:30 - First car off

- No fires are allowed

- No alcohol or drugs

Before the event

(Things you'll need to pass Tech Inspection)

- Make sure the battery is securely fastened

- Check/top off brake fluid, engine oil, and coolant

- Check for loose wheel bearings/suspension parts

- Check hoses, belts and excessive fluid leaks

- Throttle linkage must move freely

- Check tire pressure

- Remove excessive "stuff" from the car. You have to remove loose items prior to tech inspection so don't bring what you don't need

- Check to be sure tires have at least 2/32" tread - race tires are exempt

- Check that seat belts are securely attached, working properly and free from fraying.

- Bring a helmet - must be Snell 2000 or newer rated. We have loaners but having one is easier

At the event (Gates open at 7:00)

- Check in with the event registrar and sign the release

- Find and empty parking spot in the pit area and prepare car for tech inspection

(Tech inspection 7:30-8:30)

Tech inspection prep:

- Remove carpet mats and loose items from interior (radar detector, coffee cups, etc)

- Empty trunk - spare and jack can stay if securely fastened

- Check/adjust tire pressure

(typical tire pressures for autocross are 35-40 psi front, 32-36 psi rear.)

- Put helmet in car

- Get in Tech Inspection line -- stay with your car.

- Attend Driver's Meeting @ 8:45

- Walk the course

You will be outside all day so dress for the weather (sun block, rain gear, drinking water, etc.). We run rain or shine. We will break for lunch so you can bring food or you will have time to drive to one of the near by shops to buy your lunch.

You will be expected to be at the entire event. We plan work assignments and run groups based on attendance for the entire day. If there is an emergency while your at the event let us know. If you just leave you will not be allowed to run with us again.

Directions to Devens

From Rt. I-495 take Exit 30 (Rt. 2A/100). At the end of the exit take 2A toward Ayer. Follow 2A through the rotary (you have to go about 1/2 way around the rotary to pick up 2A again). Approx. 2 miles after the rotary you'll enter Ayer center. Continue to follow Rt 2A by taking the right across from the Mobil station. After traveling approx. 1/2 mile take the left second left onto Bishop Rd. Follow the road for about 1/2 mile and take a right at the fork. Proceed through the gate onto the runway.

Pat Madigan

SCMC NE Regional Director

www.svtcobraclub.com

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I'm expecting the guy at work with an LGT will sign up but haven't confirmed with him. This is a great opportunity to go as fast as you can, legally.

Sign up at http://www.neshoc.com. There are only a few SHO's that run: the cars run the gamut from Jettas to Vipers - and just about everything in between.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Update: this event is sold out. The 9/22 event has 11 slots left. There are three classes: Expert, Novice, and Expert/Race - cars wit hrace rubber.

Should be fun - they have up to eight runs, which is cool - some of the NER SCCA events I went to had three or four.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Well, I picked up a knife blade in my tire about five miles from the event and with no shops open and no plug, I was out.

This autocross is different from most - it's a 1.6 mile course with much higher speeds than most.

In the race tire class, an STi placed 3rd, behind an Evo and a '99 Camaro, but beating everything from some older vettes to an F150 Lightning and a Lotus Elise.

In the "Experienced" class, Imprezas placed 5th, 6th, and 12th out of 16. Two "breathed upon," 90's BMW M3's placed 1-2.

There were three Subarus out of 18 entries in the Novice class, including Dan and another LGT. They all showed huge improvements during the course of the day.

There are only three slots left in the Saturday, Sept

22nd event. Sign up at www.neshoc.com.

The course: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzwHqB6EfsE]YouTube - 1.6 mile autocross course Ft. Devens, MA[/ame]

Who Dares Wins

スバル

A friend of mine just signed up with his Volvo V70R, so only two slots left at max for the 22nd event. If you pay by PayPal you can likely get in.

In many areas BMWCCA sponsors their own events, along with PCA, the local SCCA chapter, some Corvette clubs, and other clubs.

Merrimack, NH?

Merrimac, MA?

Merrimack, County, NH?

Merrimack River?

Merrimack river watershed

The next event after this that I'm aware of is an SCCA event also at Devens Oct 7. They have more classes and strictly enforce rules, so things like coilovers, 7.5" rims, engine mods or aftermarket sways will push you into the Street Prepared class. Same Snell 2000 helmet requirement but people are pretty good about loaning them.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 weeks later...
One of the WRX owners rode with me and took video, which came out well. When I rode with him I managed to aim the camera at the dash for about 1/2 the run, so I owe him. We may also have footage from a Corvette driven by an instructor. I'll be able to post it tonight.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived