LegacyGT.com

I live in NC and use M1 5w-30 in my 05 GT... In the owners manual it has a chart indicating that the upper ambient range for 5w-30 oil is 100 deg F.

I recently saw a post on bitog which had analysis that M1 5w-30 is thicker at temperature than 10w-30 is, despite the fact that the chart in the Subaru owners manual shows that 10w-30 can be used in hotter climates than 5w-30. I was intrigued that the analysis on bitog showed the 5w-30 thicker at temp, I would have expected that anything Xw-30 would perform quite similar at temperature.

In any case, It hasn't been below 100 deg here for over a week...should I be concerned?

Despite the fact that both oils are classified as 30 weight at operating temp, the 10W-30 should actually be slightly heavier than the 5W-30. The 5W-30 falls in the lower of the acceptable viscosity ranges to be called 30 weight, and the the 10W-30 falls in the upper part of the acceptable range to be called 30 weight. I think it is like this for Mobil One oils.

I know this is true for some others because I have seen the raw cut data from a refinery for similar oils (data that shows actual viscosities over temp ranges). I have been running 10W-30 for the summer but will go back to 5W-30 (or if I can find it 0W-30GC :) ) on my next oil change.

Despite the fact that both oils are classified as 30 weight at operating temp, the 10W-30 should actually be slightly heavier than the 5W-30. The 5W-30 falls in the lower of the acceptable viscosity ranges to be called 30 weight, and the the 10W-30 falls in the upper part of the acceptable range to be called 30 weight. I think it is like this for Mobil One oils.

I know this is true for some others because I have seen the raw cut data from a refinery for similar oils (data that shows actual viscosities over temp ranges). I have been running 10W-30 for the summer but will go back to 5W-30 (or if I can find it 0W-30GC :) ) on my next oil change.

I will try to find the post on bitog that indicates otherwise...

Another anecdote...It's well established that GC 0W-30 is actually one of the heaviest 30 wt oils at temperature...

Archived