LegacyGT.com

'07-'08 LGT tuning

hamhock

Yeah, I don't drive the miata much since my son was born. But, I've got so much time and money into it that it's worth more to me to keep it around until I have a little more time to give to it. The miata is probably little Andrew's first car, but since he's only 20 months it's mine for a while longer. Also, did I mention how quick it will be for him with an 8:1 compression engine, no turbo, stock 1.75" catback, and neutered engine management? :)

The only real problem with the '96 that I know of is OBD-2. The earlier cars are slightly easier on the EM front. A lot of folks did some questionable re-wiring to make OBD-1 EM solutions work. I believe there are drop in solutions now which get past this problem.

There are also a few reports of '95-'99 cars with weak thrust bearings, to the point that some '99s had TSBs. My '95M's thrust bearing let go after some extra track day stress, lost oil pressure, and gave me an unexpected opportunity to upgrade to a forged motor.

Other than these two issues, the gen 1 miatas are pretty bulletproof to ~250 whp. Driveline components start becoming the issue above this. In my opinion though, the sweet spot if tracking the car is about 200 whp (stock is 100 whp). Pushing beyond this is fun but the car is not really balanced anymore without a lot of custom chassis work.

Yes I did. I'm not going to mention names though so as to not step on toes on this board. I will say this though, I got a KILLER deal. So if anyone wants anything on their Leggy, PM him. He'll give you a good deal to say the least.

Mika

I don't trust people that aren't goofy in some form. It seems like they try to hide something;). Best thing about Dave is that he's gonna help me AFTER I purchase the UTEC/wideband. It's not always the purchase that's important, the support is very important as well.

Mika

• 1 month later...

I decided to splurge and have Clark tune my car. He did a good job. Smooth power all the way to redline. If you're on Nabisco at all, PM Defiant Autospeed. He'll give you a good price on a UTEC(if he can find 'em).

I got tired of waiting for Cobb. Cobb's AP is a decent product, and I'm not gonna slam the product. BUT, their ETA's are ALWAYS off by a good 6 months, if not more.

You're in Cali, how far are you from Vishnu? He may be another choice for you. ECUtek tunes are good as well.

Mika

I decided to splurge and have Clark tune my car. He did a good job. Smooth power all the way to redline. If you're on Nabisco at all, PM Defiant Autospeed. He'll give you a good price on a UTEC(if he can find 'em).

I got tired of waiting for Cobb. Cobb's AP is a decent product, and I'm not gonna slam the product. BUT, their ETA's are ALWAYS off by a good 6 months, if not more.

You're in Cali, how far are you from Vishnu? He may be another choice for you. ECUtek tunes are good as well.

Mika

Clark does great work. Do you UTEC Delta?

I frequently do road trips to areas with 90 maximum octane. With the AP I could swap maps at the state line, what options are there with the UTEC?

Clark actually gave me 2 tunes. 1 tune for 93(which is the norm here in the DFW metro), and 1 tune for 91. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a 90 octane tune. With the UTEC Delta, you can manually swap the map(there's a clicker on the Delta box itself). I put the Delta in the glove box, where the owners manual box is.

Jim, yes I got the UTEC Delta. I haven't had any time to mess with it though, as it's been a very hectic few weeks.

Mika

Archived