LegacyGT.com

Painting OEM Calipers - Ricey or Classy?

goBlue

Caliper/decal color combo on a white Legacy sedan  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Caliper/decal color combo on a white Legacy sedan

• black caliper with silver decal
    • black caliper with white decal
    • red caliper with white decal
    • other (please specify)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this isnt my car, but this is where i got the idea

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/muddy02/DSCF0767.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/muddy02/DSCF0768.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/muddy02/DSCF0770.jpg

well, i wanted to go with black at first but Meijer didn't have any so I bought the silver set instead. the OEM calipers are silver when there's no rust so silver should be the least attention-getting color.

anyway, i was wondering if sanding down the calipers would be a necessary step for relatively new calipers? i read the instructions that came with the Duplicolor set, it doesn't mention anything about using sand paper. also, how many coats of paint did you guys put on each caliper?

well, i wanted to go with black at first but Meijer didn't have any so I bought the silver set instead. the OEM calipers are silver when there's no rust so silver should be the least attention-getting color.

anyway, i was wondering if sanding down the calipers would be a necessary step for relatively new calipers? i read the instructions that came with the Duplicolor set, it doesn't mention anything about using sand paper. also, how many coats of paint did you guys put on each caliper?

i used g2 and put on 3 coats but as for prep take a wire brush to them (be careful of the rubber parts) and then hit 'em with brake cleaner

i used a wire brush to nock loose any rust and then some grease lighting de-greaser to clean eveything up. the key is just be patient, and take your time. several light coats, you dont want any drips. and give it time between coats to dry. when you are done with painting the calipers give it about 2 hours to set and dry. remember be patient. than put on the decals and paint them with a high heat claer coat. be careful when you put on the decals, you only get one shot, if you try to remove them you will pull off the paint. remember light coats with the clear, if the clear goes on too heavy it will become cloudy, and then you have to start all over (i know this from experience). it does take a good full day to do all this. i did my fronts one weekend and the rears the next. it is easy, it just takes a lot of time and prep. be sure to mask off everything. you really dont want any overspray. what might work out best is prep and paint everything on saturday, and let it dry over night. than on sunday go back and put on the decals and use the clear. if you have any other questions just ask :)

I'm planning to paint the calipers on my 2.5 n/a red with the words subaru in silver so it doesn't look too ricey. :)

Are you guys just masking off everything and then painting it? Or are you actually removing the caliper off the rotor and then painting it? (That seems like a PITA to do...)

If its the latter, what are you guys using to hold the caliper open or what are you using to open it back up to put it back on?

i used a wire brush to nock loose any rust and then some grease lighting de-greaser to clean eveything up. the key is just be patient, and take your time. several light coats, you dont want any drips. and give it time between coats to dry. when you are done with painting the calipers give it about 2 hours to set and dry. remember be patient. than put on the decals and paint them with a high heat claer coat. be careful when you put on the decals, you only get one shot, if you try to remove them you will pull off the paint. remember light coats with the clear, if the clear goes on too heavy it will become cloudy, and then you have to start all over (i know this from experience). it does take a good full day to do all this. i did my fronts one weekend and the rears the next. it is easy, it just takes a lot of time and prep. be sure to mask off everything. you really dont want any overspray. what might work out best is prep and paint everything on saturday, and let it dry over night. than on sunday go back and put on the decals and use the clear. if you have any other questions just ask :)

thanks for the detailed instructions. :)

i bought the Duplicolor caliper paint kit. i dont think it comes with clear coat. can you buy it separately? if so, where and how much? thanks again! :)

• 1 month later...

any recommendations for colour on regal blue?

I was thinking black or silver or gunmetal but I'd like to know what other regal blues have been doing. I saw red but anyone else do anything different?

sorry for pirating the post... just thought I would bump this one up instead of starting a new thread

• 3 weeks later...

Archived