LegacyGT.com

K&N Drop-in vs. OEM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you all think my mpg would go up with an aftermarket air filter even though my car's OEM filter is relatively clean (only 2k miles right now). Should I wait until my current OEM filter see more miles until I replace it? I ask because I am interested in getting the best fuel economy out of the car that I can - if it will help now, I'll probably pick one up.

-Mark

Do you all think my mpg would go up with an aftermarket air filter even though my car's OEM filter is relatively clean (only 2k miles right now). Should I wait until my current OEM filter see more miles until I replace it? I ask because I am interested in getting the best fuel economy out of the car that I can - if it will help now, I'll probably pick one up.

-Mark

I'm in the same boat, with less than 1500 miles on my 09. I'm going to get the AVO panel filter as soon as I find one, but I do not expect any return on my money in the near future. The savings will come from having a filter I can clean instead of replace, and if I get any MPG increase it will be a plus. These filters are quite a bit more expensive than the stock filters. You can replace stock filters several time before you equal the cost of an AVO or K and N. But in the end I know the AVO, in my case (I will NEVER buy a K and N again), will present a lower restriction in the intake, and last a lot longer. Besides, I simply WANT it. :lol:

I'm in the same boat, with less than 1500 miles on my 09. I'm going to get the AVO panel filter as soon as I find one, but I do not expect any return on my money in the near future. The savings will come from having a filter I can clean instead of replace, and if I get any MPG increase it will be a plus. These filters are quite a bit more expensive than the stock filters. You can replace stock filters several time before you equal the cost of an AVO or K and N. But in the end I know the AVO, in my case (I will NEVER buy a K and N again), will present a lower restriction in the intake, and last a lot longer. Besides, I simply WANT it. :lol:

Thanks for the reply. I think you and I are on the same page. If you get one in the near future, let me know how you like it!

Having worked at a dealership for a while, I can say that having an oiled filter can cause some issues. We just worked on an LGT with an aftermarket intake and oiled filter and the MAF sensor was coated in oil and not reading correctly. Don't know if this was an over oiled filter or not, but not the first time I have seen this issue.

Archived