LegacyGT.com

Sleeping in an outback..

im actually living out of my wagon at the moment. driving around states and stuff. im either crashing on a friends sofa or sleeping in the back.

i <3 my wagon :]

Just get a national gym club membership (or two) so u can shower/shave and you're good.

I HATE paying rent, u are loving it not paying some landlord's mortgage

+ 1 for the twin size foam mattress pad

add: get a sunvisor to block-out the entire front windshield too

I HATE paying rent, u are loving it not paying some landlord's mortgage

Right there with you, the key is starting your own mortgage so at least your money is going to someone you give a damn about. you.

• 1 year later...

Sleeping in the back has worked well for me.

Most often: on a long drive late into the night, and I know the smart thing is to pull over for a few hours sleep rather than 'pushing on'

I didn't want to be seen (I did this most often in rest stops or hotel parking lots) so I'd setup like this:

In the back,

The 60% rear seatback section still 'up'

My head by the hatch and foot of sleeping bag sticking out of the folded-down 40% section.

With a bag or a jacket thrown over my feet, I figure I just look like luggage.

Two things I'd like most

Nice curtains for the windows and to partition off the front.

2" cushioned fabric in the trunk bed and on the rear seatbacks

(with a little engineering, one could make a wedge pillow to fit exactly in the cushioning gap that'd be required to allow the seats to fold up).

Anyone ever seen any nice custom sleeper jobs done on the Wagons?

I did that once too. It was below freezing and I should have left a window slightly open. The moisture was building up like crazy and freezing under my nose, enough to wake me up every hour. My mattress was a large foam bean bag. Comfy but too thick. My face was almost in the ceiling. I had enough leg room. I learned few tricks for next time if I have to!

sigh.. they offered an option for a tent cover thing on teh pontiac aztek.. now thats a great car

The Pontiac Aztek is a GREAT CAR.

LIFETIME BAN!!!

Ive slept in my Durango numerous times always with a cracked window, tinted windows, everything flat and with (in decending order of preference) an inflateable airbed, pile of furniture blankets, camping pad (which doubles as a emergency work on car pad)

So do you heat the tent up with engine exhaust or something?

Good one.

Actually worked out pretty well for typical Seattle weather. Would still sleep in the back of the car and used the tent for hanging out, cooking and keeping gear out of the rain.

Slept in the back of both my outbacks many times. Also got one of these which was great for car camping.

http://images.solidcactus.com/autobarn/sportz-86000-tent.jpg

So who makes this, what is it called and where did you get? Great idea.

Archived