LegacyGT.com

Acura TL 6MT vs Legacy GT LTD 5MT

So I have been trying to make up my mind on purchasing a new car for the past few months. When the Legacy first came out I was all over it and went for a test drive and was pretty much set on my decision. Over the past few days I have been driving a 04 Acura TL while my old clunker is being repaired and all I can say is that I am Very impressed. The TL has a ton of power on tap (270hp) and the ride is very controlled. The brakes are superb and really have some serious bite to them (Brembo Fronts). The only downfall of this car is the very noticeable torque steer. It rears its ugly head anytime you power out of a turn or gun it from a stop. I was just wondering if any of you have cross shopped the TL? It seems like a pretty good value if you can get one for about 30k.

I was initally looking at the TL. I've said it before on here somewhere: The TL has a great stereo, great NAV system, good styling, great packaging, etc. etc. The one thing it doesn't do well is drive. And it isn't just torque steer. Take that car and push it while you're going around a bumpy curve, or accelerate from a light. It seems that by the time you experience its 270 horses, you experience all the negatives of the drivetrain and chassis. It doesn't steer well. I drove one for a couple of days, and found myself liking the the music system and nav system, etc. But those things get old. The driving experience is the part you will have to enjoy day in and day out. I saw a huge difference.

If the TL was available with AWD, it would be a real contender for me. If AWD and/or top-notch handling and performance is important to you, go with the LGT. If comfort and refinement are more important, then the TL is a very good choice indeed. I personally couldn't live with the torque steer.

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='sduford']If the TL was available with AWD, it would be a real contender for me.[/QUOTE] ...and it would be much more expensive.

[quote name='sduford']If the TL was available with AWD, it would be a real contender for me. If AWD and/or top-notch handling and performance is important to you, go with the LGT. If comfort and refinement are more important, then the TL is a very good choice indeed. I personally couldn't live with the torque steer.[/QUOTE] AWD TL would be twice as much too. With that price, you could get an Audi S4 or a BMW 325. AWD>FWD think of the snow man!!!

I can easily see a TL to LGT comparison, but when you throw the STI in there, they aren't even remotely in the same class as one another. If you are looking at an STI, the TL is certainly not the car you want and vice versa...

[quote name='thatericguy']just fyi...i know its wtlw, but the 2006 TL is planning to come out with the same sort of AWD as is on the 2005 RL. (SH-AWD) It will also have the Satellite traffic / Nav link up. great stuff ahead.[/QUOTE] I've read about these rumors too but the TL is so big and bulky...hmmm wonder how well it would utilize AWD. I'm looking at an April 04 purchase for my next car though if not earlier. :)

[quote name='godwhomismike']To summarize what has been discussed over and over... [b]TL - Pros:[/b] luxury items galore, quick, looks [b]Cons:[/b] fwd, handling [b]LGT - Pros:[/b] Looks, very fast, excellent awd handling [b]Cons:[/b] fewer luxury items - Mike[/QUOTE] +1....this has been beaten to death really...

[quote name='thatericguy']just fyi...i know its wtlw, but the 2006 TL is planning to come out with the same sort of AWD as is on the 2005 RL. (SH-AWD) It will also have the Satellite traffic / Nav link up. great stuff ahead.[/QUOTE] How much? $35k?

Archived