LegacyGT.com

Thinking of changing "wood" trim to black

Gmoe

Did a quick Photoshop to see what it would look like if I painted/covered the "wood" interior pieces. I just quickly covered the shift knob to hide the wood on it as I would replace it with either a Momo, or aftermarket if/when I try this. Still thinking of how to change the small areas on the doors. Black contact paper comes to mind.

I think this looks much nicer/sportier. I don't exactly love the silver trim option either, so I figured something different.

http://lh6.google.com/gmoreschi/Rq6SORmybTI/AAAAAAAAAqM/45qvJW4-nc4/s800/intblack.jpg

• 3 months later...

I did this, did it with a can of flat Krylon fusion and a satin clear coat on top of that. I started out with a 150 or 220 sand paper and wiped it down with alcohol and blew off with compressed air. Holding up well did almost 2 years ago. Lemme see if I can find a pic.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/447872_1d637/TABBFVIB85936MW.JPG

Rick

I didn't remove the door piece. I couldn't get it to budge. For now, I covered it with the same black vinyl that's on the shifter knob. I'd like to take it off and paint/trade, but I'm not sure it's as easy as it seems it would be.

Did you remove the door part to paint? I have the silver and have a member willing to do an even trade. Just need to remove and send those.

I did remove the door, IIRC the door unscrews from the back. I masked off the silver trim piece on the door as well as the gear selectors. Just did it with blue painter's tape and an exacto knife.

Rick

I went for the "piano black" look rather than satin. Looks much better in person as the camera flash washes out the regular interior and makes it look gray. Never got around to taking a pic in daylight without the flash.

DSC00669.JPG.98dd41c4bc20a894c8587263ea4bc184.JPG

It is still ugly.

Archived