LegacyGT.com

What a bad coil pack looks like!

or less expensive. I only have to replace one small one instead of a larger 4 in 1 or 2 in 1

+1! How much is 1 coil for legacy? it's about $200 for my 00RS for the 4 in 1 coil pack. :( one of the reason why I haven't try to replace it. I know injector could be the one causing my misfire. However, cylinder 4 is also the most difficult one to remove. :(

I havn't looked into it yet, but a quick check nline shows 2 parts. One is $130, the other is $75. I don't know which is right. I have to call the parts department.

edit: Just called dealership. They want $99.98 + tax and they don't have it in stock. He said there is only one in the country and it's not in Colorado.

Part number is 22433AA540

edit again: Subaruparts.com has it for $76 but not in stock

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

wow... i guess it's cheaper in terms of 1 time purchase. but pretty expensive in terms of coil for coil... then again, these kind of thing shouldn't break too often... should only happen to high mileage cars.

I havn't looked into it yet, but a quick check nline shows 2 parts. One is $130, the other is $75. I don't know which is right. I have to call the parts department.

edit: Just called dealership. They want $99.98 + tax and they don't have it in stock. He said there is only one in the country and it's not in Colorado.

Part number is 22433AA540

edit again: Subaruparts.com has it for $76 but not in stock

• 2 years later...

120k on my obxt and 3 of the coil packs look exactly like the OP's pic.

Anyone bother to replace them or is it superfical? Less iron = different magnetic field, but there is still a lot of iron there.....see op's pic.

Bad coil...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/2010-05-04002-1.jpg

Spark was escaping the coil (black burn marks) and

traveling along the outside of the boot (white burn

marks) before jumping to the engine block.

• 5 years later...
It doesn't look nice... but that rusted stuff isn't the coils... it is just the iron core which functions as the electromagnet. The coils are still in tact.....

That Is not the Iron core. Its called a core because its in the middle. The core could be made of any number of things including air (which would be no core, just a coil) but only the manufacturer could tell you unless you disassembled it. Different cores produce different electrical characteristics. The coil is just that, a coil. Its a coil or spiral-if you will- wrapped around the core (if it has one). It takes in the incoming voltage and steps it up to a higher voltage which is then transferred to the spark plug. The quantity of step up voltage is dependent on how many turns the coil is made of and what material the core is made of (if any). The above mentioned coil construction is completely sealed. If it wasn't sealed, it would suffer a severe loss in Voltage, be vulnerable to catastrophic short circuit hazards (i.e weather, water) and the car owner would also be exposed to hazardous high voltage conditions. That ugly rusted thing is the Heat Sink wrapped around the outside of the sealed unit. The Heat Sink is designed to wick heat away from the induction process. Excessive heat creates very high resistance in an electrical circuit which in turn will degrade the electrical components until they fail. The rust causes the Heat sink to no longer wick heat away from the coil. Electromagnetism is just a byproduct of the induction process which in this scenario is not wanted or needed. Any time Current is passed through a conductor a magnetic field is created. This is how electrical induction (i.e coil packs) works.

Since they are rusted, no, they would have to be replaced. I don't think there is anyone out there that makes replacements. Unfortunately, these coil packs were not designed with rebuild options in mind. If the sinks were designed with a less corrosive material, I'm sure they would last for many more miles. The less corrosive metals cost more which would drive up the cost of the coil packs which are all ready hanging around $100 buck a pop. Only in a perfect world could we have it all!

Yes, I'm sure the weather has the most impact on them. I bet the southern and west coast guys don't have coil packs that look like that. Don't forget all of the salt they lay down during the cold months. SALT SUCKS! It could be cheap quality. I ordered a coil pack from Rock Auto once and it was DOA. It was worse than the one I was replacing.

Archived