LegacyGT.com

Replacing rotors

iyamdman

I was wondering, since I am going to replace the wheels and tires - I might as well do brakes since the wheels will be off. I was thinking about replacing the stock rotors. I know that drilled rotors have better cooling, but I heard they can crack. What about Power Slot rotors? They are $124 each, but are they worth it? If I just change the rotors, but use stock pads, would there be a performance difference? Would there be more of a difference with just a pad replacement with stock rotors?

[quote name='iyamdman']I was wondering, since I am going to replace the wheels and tires - I might as well do brakes since the wheels will be off. I was thinking about replacing the stock rotors. I know that drilled rotors have better cooling, but I heard they can crack. What about Power Slot rotors? They are $124 each, but are they worth it? If I just change the rotors, but use stock pads, would there be a performance difference? Would there be more of a difference with just a pad replacement with stock rotors?[/QUOTE] Unless you plan on tracking the car, then cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors won't do much on the street over the stock rotors. You will never create the amount of heat on the street to warp a rotor. You'd be better off upgrading the pads and keeping the stock rotors. (Even though they look cool with nice wheels) :D
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

^^^ My sentiments exactly. Tires, then wheels (if they lighten your unsprung weight), then pads, then rotors (and usually replace with stocks unless I'll be tracking the car and I keep a separate set just for that - cross drilled with bevelled holes, not slotted) and track pads. I have complete confidence in these stock rotors to perform optimally under anything you could hand it on the street. FWIW, stock pads typically operate similarly, IME, from rotor to rotor, so I don't think you'll see a noticeable improvement upgrading your rotors and staying with stock pads. You may be coming from a different vehicle setup where the "bite" happens sooner than on the LGT. If that's the case, then ideally a set of performance street pads would probably get you the feel you're looking for from the LGT. But then again, it all comes down to what you hope to do with the car. I've not talked to anyone who has upgraded their brake lines to stainless steel to see what difference it's making in their brake performance. Perhaps Xenonk (Keefe) has installed them on his LGT and can weigh in here. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Subietonic']I've not talked to anyone who has upgraded their brake lines to stainless steel to see what difference it's making in their brake performance. Perhaps Xenonk (Keefe) has installed them on his LGT and can weigh in here. SBT[/QUOTE] I've upgraded to the stainless lines...they do not improve braking performace per se(such as stopping distances), what they do is improve braking feel. The brake pedal has a firmer, more solid feel with the stainless lines. The spongy and soft feel of the stock rubbber lines is gone.

[quote name='iyamdman']I was wondering, since I am going to replace the wheels and tires - I might as well do brakes since the wheels will be off. I was thinking about replacing the stock rotors. I know that drilled rotors have better cooling, but I heard they can crack. What about Power Slot rotors? They are $124 each, but are they worth it? If I just change the rotors, but use stock pads, would there be a performance difference? Would there be more of a difference with just a pad replacement with stock rotors?[/QUOTE] Unless you are going to do some hard stops repeatedly, the slots are designed to keep the brake pads from glazing (by scraping off the thin layer of the brake pad each pass). Usually drilled rotors cracked based on cooling procedures.. a lot of people dont understand that after a couple of hard stops, one should definitely drive around without touching the brakes to allow them to cool before parking the car. So unless you are going to autocross or track the car, crossed drilled/slotted rotors are worth it. If you see a lot of street time, a set of blanks with a good veined-vented center will do plenty for you as it is.. all you are missing are brake pads for more initial bite and higher coeffiecent of friction with lower operating temperature range.. Stock pads with upgraded rotors wont do much, if anything. You'll get more performance out of brake fluids and upgraded brake pads by far. I posted some replies to B4_Maniac's thread about brake pad options. Go check out what you can get that is already available.. more brake pads will come out. Keefe
Keefe

^ Agreed. There's a lot of knowledge being thrown around here. Keefe knows his stuff. Also... just to expand on the topic. I don't know what all is available for this car but [url="http://www.dba.com.au/default.asp"]DBA[/url] makes some of the best rotors. If you're going to upgrade the rotors, that's what I'd get. I suppose it depends on what you're going for but even their standard rotors would probably be an improvement in terms of ventilation and weight savings. They're worth checking out, although personally I'd wait until your stock rotors start to wear, warp, or need to be replaced. In the meantime, upgrading to a performance brake pad and a DOT 4+ brake fluid would make an immediate improvement.

Rotors dont make the noise as much as brake pads do.. it's actually the harder set of brake pads that make more noise (metallic pads for track use).. when you hear them, you'll think you are back in elementary school where someone will run a set of fingernails on a chalkboard at EVERY touch of the brakes. I am a TMP fan, [url]www.racingbrake.com[/url] might try to make a set of aftermarket rotors for the GT.. as I spoke with Ken about a month ago on this matter. Keefe
Keefe

• 4 months later...

Archived