LegacyGT.com

Does all LGT paint have orange peel?

The orange peel on my 2005 LGT OBP wagon is noticeable only when you're really looking at the paint in good light (like a cloudy day) to see the reflections. But it's there. I don't get the mirror-like reflections I see in some detailing photos because of the orange peel. Is that just the way it is with the LGT? (For the record, I've seen worse orange peel on Mercedes.)

I've also read here that it won't polish out because it's in the color coat underneath the clear coat. Is that your experience?

Yup, they all have some orange peel; robots do good paint jobs, but they aren't perfect. They also all have drips on the corners of each panel if you look closely. This is caused by the "dipping" process used to prime the body parts. Look at the corners of the hood and trunk lid near the glass and you will see what looks like a drip hanging over the edge. On the doors you willl find them on the bottom corners.
Let's kick this pig!

Those drips aren't from the E-coat dipping process... they are from the Primer/surfacer, topcoat, or clearcoat stages.

The E-coat stage is electrodeposition... not air cure... so it won't cure as a drip.

Orange peel can be in the color or in the clear. Unless it is really bad, I wouldn't worry about it.

The only way to really get rid of it is to wet sand the car and buff it out. But caution on that... our clear isn't too thick and you don't have much material to sand through before you're into the color.

Archived