LegacyGT.com

Auto on lights when dark...Any kits available?

at last

auto on/off headlights are useless! If you're driving on a shady road with lots of tree cover your lights will be flashing on and off, had this happen on a rented pathfinder, annoying as hell!

I would hate auto lights and wipers.

auto on/off headlights are useless! If you're driving on a shady road with lots of tree cover your lights will be flashing on and off, had this happen on a rented pathfinder, annoying as hell!

I would hate auto lights and wipers.

+1

Just leave them on

Denial is your best friend

I think the point is to avoid driving a couple miles down the road at night with your lights off. I usually just leave my lights on all the time, but once in a great while; after my wife drives the car I find myself cruising down the road at night with only the DRLs on.

I had a 99 Caddy with auto light and wipers and both just pissed me off to no end. The wipers wouldn't come on until a couple drops landed right on the 2"x2" sensor at the top of the windshield. Then they would go nuts if the rain picked up a little. The headlights had a setting that would allow them stay on for 1-5 minutes after the car was shut off. And the kicker was when the light sensor went out and the headlights stayed on all night and toasted the battery.

All the auto whatever features are a nice convenience until they fail and cost you thousands of dollars just to make the damn car drivable.

Let's kick this pig!

I think the point is to avoid driving a couple miles down the road at night with your lights off. I usually just leave my lights on all the time, but once in a great while; after my wife drives the car I find myself cruising down the road at night with only the DRLs on.

I had a 99 Caddy with auto light and wipers and both just pissed me off to no end. The wipers wouldn't come on until a couple drops landed right on the 2"x2" sensor at the top of the windshield. Then they would go nuts if the rain picked up a little. The headlights had a setting that would allow them stay on for 1-5 minutes after the car was shut off. And the kicker was when the light sensor went out and the headlights stayed on all night and toasted the battery.

All the auto whatever features are a nice convenience until they fail and cost you thousands of dollars just to make the damn car drivable.

i have seen quite a few cars cruising down the toll way at night with no tail lights. why? cause drls are on and they think they can see. and most cars have elctroluminecent guages or some other sort of cluster that is always iluminated. they cant tell their lights are off. and they are too stupid to know to turn them on even when you flash your lights at them

the smart ones disable DRL's. my question is why are people who are so unaware of their surroundings allowed to drive? One of my biggest peeves is when people are clumsy or completely oblivious to what they are doing. They are hurtling a 4000 LB car going against what humans were made to do, and they have no idea as to what their car is doing. I just don't get it.

When I have things set on or off in my car, I know it.

Dr. Pepper, amen. I couldn't have said it better myself. I se so many (more now that I live in CA) driving and obvioulious to what is happening around them. They don't look any other way but straight and have "blinders" on while driving. Or they are talking of the God Damed Cell Phones and driving like a bat out of hell. at least get a head set for the so important phone call and keep both hands on the f'in wheel. And no, the built in speakerphone isn't enought down here to get people to leave the phone alone, they have to hold the dam phone. I have seen and been hit by someone not paying attention to their sroundings and talking on the phone.

Sorry for such a strong rant, but I am just about fed up with the drivers that just don't relize that they are driving around in a deadly wepon. Hell, there are more deadly car crashes than there are with loaded guns (I think I remember that right) and we will give a drivers license to anyone that can pass the fog the mirror test, just about.

Oh, and to make some relation to the origonal thread, Auto on/off lights in a suby is just useless. Just turn them on and forget about it and disable the DRL. But My Dad's old VW tourage had the auto wipers and loved them. You turn them on in the lowest intermitant setting and they will sence when to swipe. Now I would pay extra for one of them, hell, I might even consider a 09 if it had it in a H6 Legacy Sedan.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

i have seen quite a few cars cruising down the toll way at night with no tail lights. why? cause drls are on and they think they can see. and most cars have elctroluminecent guages or some other sort of cluster that is always iluminated. they cant tell their lights are off. and they are too stupid to know to turn them on even when you flash your lights at them

I hear ya. I'm one of those who know what switch is set which way, as a matter of fact; I've just gotten used to hitting the dash illumination button(*) right after starting the car and if the dash doesn't get brighter I know that the headlights aren't on. Again, it's only when the wife has been driving and messing with my ILL setting that I miss the fact that the headlights aren't on. Also, I have dark tint on all of my windows and on the windshield down to the rearview mirror so the dash always looks bright even on ILL 1 with the headlights on during the day. I think I have only done the DRLs at night about 3 times in 2.5 years of ownership.

Most of those who don't respond to the flashing headlights are probably lit and oblivious to their surroundings anyway.

Let's kick this pig!

I go both ways on this.

My Mom's Audi Q7 SUV has the auto-on headlights, and they're no where near as sensitive as you all mentioned (shady/tree-covered road). They turn on when needed, never seen them flicker.

I personally like having my headlights on all the time (although I disabled DRL) just as an added "HELLO I'M HERE!" for all of the oblivious drivers out there that you all reference.

Although I prefer my headlights on at all times, these auto-on systems are pretty nice when they work how they were intended.

Edit: The nice thing about auto-on, is that all of those who forget their DRL's are on, won't have that problem (as their headlights/tails would be automatic)

In all honesty, driver's out there (SADLY) are not going to get any better/smarter. So, I guess we've given up and started to spend immense amounts of R&D to work around their stupidity/faults.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Archived