LegacyGT.com

Insurance Claim - Repair problem

I am preparing to meet with the dealership on Tuesday (hopefully) to discuss what has become a nightmare.

Back in Dec car was "massaged" by a Tempo (car port) that broke free on a windy day. Damage $4 500. Needed to repaint half the car.

First repair attempt, good except paint did not match (Obsidian Black). Few other minor issues. Dealer said we will redo.

Second repair attempt in March, paint still does not match and now there are areas with overspray, certain trim pieces around windows have finished buffed away, etc. Worse not better.

So being a sucker for punishment (Dealer promised he would make the car like new.)

Third repair attempt in July. Gone for 3 weeks (actually gave him 4 weeks to do job!), leave the car with the dealer to get things right. Still very friendly and cooperative. PAINT STILL DOES NOT MATCH and this is the worst job of the 3! Except now he repainted 95% of the car (to blend the paint). Never gave him permission to do this. All other items that required resolution not done.

This is the insurance company recommended repair shop.

I am not sure what my options will be considering the money has been paid to the dealer by the insurance company. (Location: Quebec, Canada, laws, structure a bit different here.)

As stated at the beginning, I am starting with the dealer ownership and will probably contact the insurance company at the same time. But from there.....?

I want to be as prepared as possible.

All ideas would be appreciated.

I'd tell the insurance company to $%#* off and take it to your own shop. Make them pay to do it again. 3 times, I mean come on. I told my insurance company where I was going even though they didnt like it, tough shit, I want it done right the first time.

Insurance companies NEVER have the authority to tell you where a car can be repaired.

You are the "injured" party and have the right to have the repair made anywhere you'd like. At this point I would have the car completely repainted by a top-notch body shop and send them the bill. Consulting a lawyer would be a good thing at this point as well. Add his fee to your claim amount.

Thanks Guys.

Hindsight being 20-20, I should have been more diligent about where I get the work done. But who would have thought that a Subaru dealership, with full paint shop could be so brutal.

Meeting with the owner of the dealership in the morning.

Will be calling lawyer friend afterwards.

I had a simular problem with my OBP 04 Baja. they kept repainting it with the wrong color. Came to fine, after the trade in, the body shop called me and said that they found the problem. Their system only had the Java Black from the FXT/WRX and not the OBP paint codes in their computer. They got the new paint code and wanted to re-paint it again. Hope this helps.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Archived