LegacyGT.com

Has anyone wired up aftermarket auxiliary lighting to the factory fog wiring?

CDN 2.5i

Interested in auxiliary lighting for my 2.5i wagon which did not come with the factory fog option...

If I can, I'd like to use the factory wiring and just purchase the fog lamp turn signal stalk and some aftermarket lamps and put together my own solution.

Has anyone attempted/succeeded in doing this?

Cannot say that I have, but I would be interested in a solution, as well. My wife's car does not have fogs, and she wants a set of them installed. I will have to figure out what is required, to do this, as easily as possible.

There was another thread, where someone mentioned that it was an easy process...just having a hard time remembering who it was. I know it was fairly recent, though...so, maybe a search will yield better results.

I have not done such a thing, but it shouldn't be difficult. I only know about the headlight system, not fogs, BUT there should be a simple On/Off 12v/Ground current that goes to them. Being halogens, there's no need for more than on/off current IIRC.

What's your plan?

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

It'll be simpler to forget the OEM wiring.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Looking at the connectors, I agree it might be more work than it's worth to try and rig something up. However, I was hoping to use the OEM switch to keep the dash very clean etc.

I may just keep an eye out for a used set of fogs.

Honestly, it shouldn't be hard.

The connectors that you speak of are female (I believe), and accept a spade-shaped prong?

Figure out what size prong that is (say 1/4") and just use male spade connectors for that connection. Then just shield the connectors, in-between the power and ground wire, to keep them from arcing.

If you didn't want to do that, you could even more simply just buy some T-Taps and just tap/crimp/splice into each wire (and the taps could be removed later with no issues).

Both options are pretty easy, connector-wise.

THEN, if you wanted to avoid factory wiring. You could chase the wires to the fog's stalk, and disconnect the factory wiring from the stalk to the fogs. You could then simply wire off of that, using that as your switch.

Of course I've simplified these things for the post, but shouldn't be more than an hour's project (or so).

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

• 2 years later...

Archived