LegacyGT.com

XM/Sirius questions

Stacie

IIRC, Sirius uses three satellites, and XM has two. Theoretically, Sirius is supposed to have better reception. Considering Sirius myself, but the issue of where to mount a unit is a big one. If someone made a unit that was small enough to fit inside the cubbyhole (and be able to close the door), it would be great, but I haven't seen a unit that small. If there was certainty about an integrated factory unit, I would probably wait and bite the bullet with that setup.
Ron

The antenna isn't the issue, it's the head unit. I went to Crutchfield's site and took the measurements of the current head units available for both XM and Sirius, and none of them appeared to be small enough to fit and allow the cover to close.
Ron

[quote name='Stacie'][url]http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hokie[/url] ?????[/QUOTE] Trust me, as a Hokie, you're not going to find a proper definition for Hokie in the dictionary. :D Try this link : [url]http://www.unirel.vt.edu/vthistory/hokie-explained.html[/url]

[quote name='BlkLegGt']Regardless of which on you choose, how can you possibly mount these HUGE units in the Legacy interior without it looking crappy? I have my SIRIUS receiver (from my old WRX) still sitting on my nightstand simply because I can't bring myself to clutter the slick interior. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE] The XM Commander unit is a small unit and fits easily in the cubby immediately under the dash in the center stack. I like it because when the cover is flipped down, you don't even see it. The antenna unit is mounted on the rear deck where the tail light is. BTW, if I lose reception (and I do and in exactly the same places (2 or 3) consistently on my 3 hour commute), it is for a few seconds at most. Not a problem for me but i suppose it might bother others. Can't speak to Sirius.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='Stacie']Hokie = some type of castrated fowl? What's that all about anyways? :confused: :confused: :confused:[/QUOTE] Ouch, Stacie - that hurts. Hopefully turingmachine has cleared this up for you. We Hokies may be foul, but we ain't fowl (though that darn mascot of ours is). Cheers.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='emlevins']The XM Commander unit is a small unit and fits easily in the cubby immediately under the dash in the center stack. I like it because when the cover is flipped down, you don't even see it. The antenna unit is mounted on the rear deck where the tail light is. BTW, if I lose reception (and I do and in exactly the same places (2 or 3) consistently on my 3 hour commute), it is for a few seconds at most. Not a problem for me but i suppose it might bother others. Can't speak to Sirius.[/QUOTE] Yeah, I heard XM had a small one. But, prob is, I'm pre-paid on SIRIUS until June05! Guess I'll be stuck waiting for a smaller unit (no laughing;) )...

I have Sirius in my GT. Yes, the 1st gen PnP receiver is big, but the new ones are smaller. I have mine suction cupped to the windshield and it works fine for me. I don't listen to O&A or Stern so my decision was based on music, talk, sports, and the hardware, and based on those factors Sirius won hands down. Sirius has both the home and away broadcasts of every NFL game every week, plus the NBA, lots of college sports (including March Madness), etc. That sealed the deal for me. Here's my receiver: [img]http://home.comcast.net/~nlehmann/leg/int1.jpg[/img] -Nick

Same here, I could care less about O&A or Stern (although BOB & Tom would be nice on satellite.....they aren't on any local Detroit stations). I'm not willing to spend the $$$ unless I can hide the unit and not clutter up the already-tight dash area.
Ron

Anybody know if this one would fit? Kenwood KTC-H2EC * tuner dimensions: 4-3/8"W x 3"H x 1-3/16"D [IMG]http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2004/113/h113KTCH2EC-f_dmt.jpeg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-F8FWCqHSmdJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=176950&I=113KTCH2EC]Kenwood KTC-H2EC at Crutchfield.com[/URL] I don't have a Legacy just yet, nor am I planning on paying for radio soon, but I drive across the state of Iowa several times a year, and the radio reception drops out in places, so the thought has crossed my mind. This tuner looks great, if it could somehow be integrated. I'd rather have a good way to hook up an iPod or sirius tuner, though, or better yet a replacement console piece to install an aftermarket Double-din HU, with seperated Climate controls. (Subaru, if you are listening...)

If you are looking to install it in the cubbyhole, nope. When I measured it awhile back, only the Roady and the XM Commander (with inside modifying for the depth) would fit the cubbyhole, but they are both XM, and I want Sirius. That Kenwood also uses a cradle,so it would have to be an external mounting. I wish someone had a tiny Sirius unit!!
Ron

[quote name='BlkLegGt']Nick, Thanks for the photo. But, honestly (no flame), that's the look I'm trying to avoid. BTW, where do you run your power cords?[/QUOTE] Yeah, the "on-dash" look isn't for everyone. It doesn't really bother me, though. There are plenty of other places to mount the receiver, but all involve some sort of modification of the dash. There are tons of kits from companies like pro-fit and panavise- some vehicle specific- that can mount XM or Sirius units in a number of different places. The bottom line is that the mounting position of the receiver shouldn;t be a deterrent to getting sat radio. I have both my radar and sirius power cords running to a splitter at the power outlet in the console. The antenna wire runs to the trunk and up to the roof. -Nick

• 3 months later...
i have used both, xm and sirius and have one thing to say: sirius plays the same songs over and over! since i spend 25+ hrs a week in my car, it did bother me a lot. most of my co-workers, all of who drive a lot, say the same thing. some even replaced their sirius with xm. in east TN sirius has issues in many areas and skipps/searches for signal - which is very annoying. xm is the way to go! on the other note, how can whoever posted the pic see the road with all that crap on the windshield - in the field of view. that should be outright illegal! same goes for handicapped people who leave their stickers on their mirrors while driving (even though it says not to do that on the sticker!). - end of rant - :mad:

This thread is amazing. The imfamous, X is better than y thead. :rolleyes: Both are excellent in terms of hardware and programming. I think it is a personal choice based on the availability of hardware (what fits in your car) and what your preferences are when it comes to music, etc. With the recent price change of XM, they are about identical when it comes to price. Just go to each website and deceide from there. As for coverage, they are about the same. They both require line of site and because of this, you will get "blackouts" with tunnels, bridges, near large groups of trees, large mountain on one side, etc. When it comes to people saying that coverage in a certain areas is bad with brand XYZ, that is a bunch of crap. They are about the same and it is all based on the angle in the sky where the satellites are located, and what objects are in the way. The satellites are at different angles/locations (XM - 2 sats, Sirius - 3 sats) for the both companies, and this is why one might might not have an issue in one location, but the other one will. If you drive down a road with trees on both sides, they both will have issues - period! And don't forget, hardware issues can not be blamed on the provider. Example, just becuase a piece of hardware has a poor FM transmitter, don't blame that on the Satellite radio company! I see this way too oftern in various forums I read. Pick one and you will be happy. Here is a Sirius install that looks quite nice - one of the newest and smallest Sirius units too. [url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9138"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9138[/url] -S

[quote name='tytek']i have used both, xm and sirius and have one thing to say: sirius plays the same songs over and over! since i spend 25+ hrs a week in my car, it did bother me a lot. most of my co-workers, all of who drive a lot, say the same thing. [/QUOTE] Ain't that the truth! You'd think 'China Girl' was the only song put out in the '80's!

Help! I have XM in all my other cars and put it in my new Leg LGT. I got the little commander and it's great. But When they put it in they said that they could not get the proper fm connector cuz it didn't exist yet. Soooo, they put in a wireless modulator or whatever you call it and it sucks!!:mad: It sounds like an am station with static. They tell me the right part will be available in June and they will put it in for free. But until then it will drive me nuts. Does anyone know about this and is the right connector available so I can tell them and gett this fixed now! The place that did it was Car Toys in Boulder,CO and they have been great. Hope some body has an answer.

I don't have a picture of it, but I mounted my XM commander just behind the shifter on the console with a piece of velcro and it looks clean and works great.I have enough cord so that I can put it in the console glove box when I leave the car if I want. That way, I still have the little storage place in the console and I can see the station #s etc easily. Also there are novisible wires anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='StringFellow']If you drive down a road with trees on both sides, they both will have issues - period! Here is a Sirius install that looks quite nice - one of the newest and smallest Sirius units too. [url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9138"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9138[/url] -S[/QUOTE] The first part is not entirely true. XM stinks for cutting out. Here in LA I had it in one of my cars, and I swear, if I drove under an underpass that was 150 feet in the air doing 75 mph it would cut out. If I parked NEXT to a building...it would cut out. If I parked under a shade tree...it would cut out. If I was going through the McDonald's drive thru and came to a stop under the 3 foot overhang at the pay window...it cut out. I went to Sirius....it cuts out about 1/5th as often. I can drive through a 300 foot tunnel and sometimes it won't cut out other times it cuts out for a split second. I was driving in a blinding rain storm with my Sirius...didn't drop once. On top of all that...if you hate FM radio and the corporate Giant Clear Channel Communications which owns the VAST majority of all radio stations, then you don't want XM radio. Clear Channel has a large part ownership in XM radio, and has a lot of input into what they do. Hence the broadcasting of KISS-FM radio on and XM channel. How idiotic is that...broadcast a FREE radio station on PAY satellite radio? Need4Speed must have stock in XM since he's posted about 8 or 10 posts in this thread stating XM rocks and Sirius stinks...just because XM has OandA (whoever they are). By the way, I think Stern signed onto Sirius BEFORE O&A went to XM. Sirius also has 24 customer service, more talk stations, CLEARLY the better sports and events too. Music is a toss up, unless you are a Rock n Roll fan. In that case Sirius is the EASY choice. More variety there, not just all "Alternative" rock like over 1/2 of XM's rock stations are. I agree about the link with the Sirius Starbase. It's small, like the blue lighting and easily fits in the cubby hole. It's going into my LGT very soon.

[quote name='Driver72'] By the way, I think Stern signed onto Sirius BEFORE O&A went to XM. [/QUOTE] Get your facts straight man, Hoo Hoo announced his deal with Sirius days [b]after [/b]O & A went on the air. They signed on over the summer of 04' and began broadcasting on October 4th, 2004. As for XM cutting out where you live, that will differ where you live and the number of repeaters in the area in any metropolitan area. We can all talk till we're blue in the face about which is better, it happens to be a matter of opinion. In my opinion XM is a Superior service and their radios and technology are far superior to any offered by Sirius. Size of the tuners and options that are available. Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one. DD

[quote name='Driver72']I said, I think. or you have gay fantasies about these Opie and Anthony characters since they are also listed in your "Location" profile. [/QUOTE] Is this really necessary? You want to really go there? Keep it up and we'll see what happens. DD

Is that a threat? Ohhh, does somebody get upset at the truth? You say, "in my opinion XM is the superior service" But you still haven't acknowledged whether you've actually ever HAD Sirius or spent any reasonable time listening to it. I'll take that lack of reply as a No and No. It's evident Rick that you actually haven't EVER spent anytime listening to Sirius. And the fact you are from Boston, and list "O&A on XM" in your Location profile that you are SERIOUSLY biased towards XM for that reason. Clearly you don't have any other basis for your love of XM than your love towards your two hometown "boys". Maybe you should ACTUALLY know what you are talking about if you are going to make such statements as which is superior. By the way...I wonder who exactly O&A were trying to emulate when they came on the air? Hmmm, have never heard O&A myself, but from what I hear by many they were an attempted rip off of the ORIGINAL shock jock...and he's going to Sirius. Again, I could care less about that though, since I don't listen to either. I've had both XM and Sirius..actually I had XM for longer than I've had my Sirius...and for me taking EVERYTHING else into account...not just the evident love of some hometown guys....Sirius is clearly the better choice.

Archived