LegacyGT.com

Mothers California Gold 3-step process -- worthy?

Hi All...I have searched, and read NUMEROUS threads on detailing/car care, polishing, sealing, claying (which I already do), etc.

My question is (and I know some will definately recommend wolfgang products), but I wanted to know if anyone recommends/uses the Mother's 3 step California gold process? Not knowing what to get, my wife picked up what she thought would be a good way to get things done on her new car...which, of course, I am going to have to take care of...so, I may just end up returning what she bought...while I wasn't there. I commend her for getting something, at least. :lol:

So...anyone have any experience with the mother's stuff? Is it going to be effective, at all? She did get a clay-bar, which I will keep, and it's also Mothers. But, I figure, after it's done, I can get a different type...but, that won't be for about another year, after the first application.

The three step process, I believe, involves a pre-wax cleaner, then their version of a sealant, and then the carnuba wax. I have an orbital buffer/polisher, which I have used in the past, with no issues...so, maybe for x-mas I can get a PC...who knows.

Please let me know your experiences...and again, if I should return them, I will. I have no issues with that...just takes a trip to the store where she purchased them.

While we are on the subject, I need to know a good leather conditioner/cleaner. Not sure if I can trust the wipes, or can I? Never had leather before...so, this is a first.

Appreciate all the help...and trust me, I have read LOTS of OCDetails' threads...which is why I am contemplating returning what she purchased. Nothing has been opened yet...and the weekend is gone, so, even if I order something online, I should be OK by the coming weekend.

It's not the products that matter, but rather the process of using the products. As long as you are following the steps of wash, clay, polish, protect then you are doing the right thing. The name on the bottle doesn't matter as long as the right product is inside of it. Wolfgang is great, but it is only one stage of the process.

Paint polishing is something that needs to be done by machine. Those orbital buffers are for applying waxes and not much else. Try to use them to remove swirls and you will get some very pretty patterns burned into your paint. This is really PC territory if you want to complete that step. If swirl removal isn't in the cards right now, then I would wash, clay, and then use something like Meguiar's NXT Liquid Tech Wax that can be applied by hand and has some fillers in it that can help reduce the appearance of the swirls. It also has some fine abrasives in it that will help polish some of them away, but not many by hand. Hopefully that helps. :)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks OC. I figure one of these days, I am going to wash the car, clay it, wash it, then do the mother's three step process. The random orbital has three different kinds of pads (it's almost like a PC but not quite), which have worked well for me in the past.

Just wanted some more detail on the Mother's 3 step process. Guess it should be fine, for now...as I know step 1 is only supposed to be used once or twice a year (i.e. when the car is clayed). Step 2 & 3 can be used as each application deteriorates, and a new layer is required.

When swirl mark remover is required, I will use the NXT liq. tech wax, and apply/remove by hand, if that makes it easier...but maybe the polisher will help.

I will post up some results, once I have successfully completed the job on both cars.

The Mothers 3 step is an oldie but goodie. The step 1 actually does a better job of swirl hiding and rounding than NXT. There are better products out there but Mothers 3 step is a good beginners "by hand" system.

So, given that it's an 'oldie but goodie' with beginners qualities...what would you feel is the 'next' level up? I've tried tons of waxes/polishes/etc, but never mothers...so, given the fact that I still have a chance to return the mother's stuff, I was wondering what is better, in current day attire.

Any thoughts?

It is better than just waxing, but don't expect show car results with it. Even those products being used with a PC won't do amazing things. They are "ok" off the shelf itmes, but they are very basic consumer grade products. I don't know that I would consider anything off the shelf as being the next step up. Honestly, if someone is going to continue using consumer grade products then they are people who are looking for consumer grade results. You have to move up the to Enthusiast or Professional grade products in order to take a step up. There isn't much on the shelf that fits the bill of either of those two grades.

If you want to take a step up and still shop local, then I'd suggest looking for some Meguiar's #9 polish. That will help take care of swirls better than any Mother's product.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I was also thinking S100...since I have read some fairly good reviews on it...here, and other sites. But, I will still require a sealant, and then on top of that, the S100, correct?

So, if I were to get the woflgang kit that is listed on detailcity.com, plus a bottle of s100 (there's a couple of HD locations around here), would I be OK for a while? I can keep the clay bar...that is not a big deal...it's the other stuff I was curious about.

I knew I wouldn't like the mothers stuff...so, I will go return it, for a refund, and order something online. Better to buy right the first time...then to have to waste money, and end up buying again.

EDIT: And what about a good leather conditioner/cleaner?

It would be my advice not to layer anything on top of the Wolfgang sealant. You don't necessarily have to put a wax on top of a sealant. Since for a long time sealants lacked the depth and gloss of a wax there was a lot of layering going on, but sealants made in the last few years have really stepped it up a notch. Layering a wax on Wolfgang has detracted from the appearance in my opinion.

For a good leather cleaner/conditioner I would suggest Poorboy's Leather Stuff. For an even better dedicated leather conditioner I haven't found much better than the Wolfgang brand. I'm trying a new one soon through from NTS7 that is supposed to be really good. It's a line of products available at Autogeek.net if you are interested in trying something new. I figured I'd give it a shot and compare it to some other products and then post a review. I should be getting my order this week. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Regarding Meguiar's #9 ... is it a cleaner, or is it a polish?

I've read mixed information which in some cases claims it has abrasives in it (polish) and other sources that indicate it has no abrasives (cleaner). I couldn't find anything on my last search on the topic (Autopia and Googling).

wash, clay, polish, protect

Meguiar's #9 would fit in the Polish area. It does have abrasives, but very mild ones. It is probably one of the only Meguiar's professional polishes that can get results when applied by hand. The problem with #9 is that it will leave filers in the swirls, and is thereby not a good base for a sealant. #9 is best used prior to a wax where having an oil and filler free surface isn't as critical. If your goal is to remove swirls and still use a sealant, then you are going to need to use a machine to polish with a bodyshop safe product.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks OC. Appreciate the input. At this point, I have returned the Mother's stuff.

Planning on ordering a couple of things from Wolfgang's products, as well as the leather conditioner/cleaner from Wolfgang.

One question I have...and this, only because I cannot afford a new PC, is that I have a Craftsman Orbital Polisher/buffer. I have used this for quite a while, and am wondering if it will work at all with these products, or shall I just go back to using my arms, for this process?

Swirl removal is a job for a PC. The buffer you have isn't the right tool for the job and neither are your arms. If swirl removal is your goal, then you really should wait till you get a PC. Just because it spins doesn't mean it has the power to break down polishes into an effective swirl removing form. The PC is the slowest machine you should use for that job unless you really really enjoy work. The slower buffers won't spread the product and you'll have a lot of buffing to do when you are done. The swirl removal that happens with those machines usually results in holograms, so I would stay far away from it unless you are waxing. These types of marks are not pretty and not easy to remove:

http://www.ocdetails.com/assets/images/greenbufferburn.jpg

http://www.ocdetails.com/assets/images/BufferBurn1.jpg

OCDETAILS BLOG

Well, I just got the car a week or so ago, so, given that its brand new, I'm not quite sure what kind of condition the paint is in, though, what I do know is that I have to get it clean. So, I don't think there are too many swirls, yet...but I also don't want to create additional ones either.

I believe for the first application, I can use the buffer, whilst I save some money for the PC, and some pads, etc. I will be ordering some WG pre-wax cleaner, some WG paint sealant, and the WG quick spritz wax/detailer.

I already have a clay bar, washing liquid, microfiber cloths, as well as a soft bristle wheel brush. So, on that end, I think I should be good to go for now. Once I get the PC + pads, I will reapply...but since I won't be here for about 2 weeks in August, the cars are going to sit in the garage...so, not worried about the elements.

Thanks again, though, you're advice is always appreciated.

The most important thing you can do to maintain your car is frequently wash it using good tools and processes. Then apply a protectant regularly. You can wax by hand, and a PC just makes it quicker. Meguiars Gold Glass Shampoo and Meguiars NXT are both great over the counter products to preserve your cars appearance.

If you want to remove swirls, OCD is right, you need to use the right tool for the job.

Now, I am going to get crap for this. But I did a test application of SSR2, SSR1, WG cleaner, and then half with WG sealant (only 1 coat) and half with NXT. The NXT had better reflections, more depth and a darker wetter appearance, it was also smoother, it was harder to remove though. I tried to take some pics, but its hard to see. I bought the WG kit and its pretty much a waste now. It might improve with 2 - 3 coats, but for simplicity and just being able to go to the local store to pick it up when I run out NXT FTW. OK, let the flames begin :)

When you are dealing with appearance products then it is all in the eye of the beholder. I look at other things when I recommend products beyond appearance, but that is certianly a big part of it. I've got nothing but praise for NXT and what it has accomplished with the Tech Wax product. It has some issues with durability, but it is very nice in way of appearance. It is very Zaino-esqe for those of you who are familiar with that. There are people out there who believe Zaino is the very best looking product in the world and NXT Tech Wax looks just like it. It isn't my cup of tea, but beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder, right? ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

I might still try out the WG on my DMG. But on black, NXT all the way. Since I apply often durability isn't my primary concern, also the light polish helps to remove the old coat, clean the paint, maybe cure some light swirling caused from washing between applications, and add new protection.

I also have just started using the prima hydro after each wash, so that helps to add durability on top of the nxt. Although, by mixing the two I have noticed the hydro will slightly dull the appearance of the nxt. Since it is still my dd (that will change soon), I find the extra protection worth the trade off.

Since I still have a full bottle of the WG I need to see how it handles multiple coats, but if I can get the same results from a single application of nxt then I am all for it.

I don't want to make a blanket statement that NXT is better than WG. In my single application test I just preferred the looks of NXT. Results may vary, it is definitely in the eye of the beer-holder and both looked great.

So, I finally placed on order for WG Leather Cleaner and WG Leather Conditioner. I would assume here, that this is maybe a 2 times per year type appplication? or maybe once every 4 months, given the heat here in Florida?

Secondly, I also ordered the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Instant Detail Spritz. I may also add Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer to the order, for a complete regimen.

Once I get it, I will post up some results, of how I think it works, or with issues that I have had.

Thanks for all the input.

clean your leather as often as you clean your paint, twice a year.

protect your leather as often as you protect your paint, quarterly

dusting, vacuuming, cleaning windows and spot treatment on interior should be done frequently, as often as you wash the car.

Using a conditioner for spot treatment will eventually make the interior very glossy like armorall. This is where 1-step cleaner and conditioner products are nice. They will remove fingerprints and grime without having to add new protection.

Archived