LegacyGT.com

XM/Serius Antenna question

leggtnut

I was pondering if it was possible to attach a second antenna to my XM unit to by chance get a little better signal in the mountians here. 1/2 my commute is over the mountian and tough the woods :).

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Is this an XM or a Sirius question? XM has ground repeaters and Sirius does not (from what I understand).

What is your precise location? I sometimes lose line of sight to the sirius satellite in the afternoon/evening, as it makes it's way through it's northern loop of it's orbit. However XM is a "static" satellite signal (meaning the satellite is stationary)....and it relies on ground repeaters to get the signal to everyone. (AGAIN, this is just from what I recall while talking/reading about it).

XM use satellites that have geostationary orbits, their position in space is always the same relative to a point on the ground. XM uses two satellites.

Sirius has 3 satellites in geosynchronous orbit. This means that at any one time, at least one of the three is in view.

Both services have repeaters onthe ground in higher population areas. These signals from ground sources can be recieved like FM radio signals.... they pass through walls and things, to a certain extent.

To the OP, no you can't hook up two antennas, and even if you did, the footprint of your car is so small it wouldn't make a difference anyways. Make sure you're not shawdoing the antenna with a roof rack or anything

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

mwiener2. Thanks for the info. I just didn't know. I just have lots, of trees in the way, did I say lots of trees. Same signal both ways and no trestrial repeters in this area. I am currently using the OEM 07 XM unit with the antenna. I may add a different one later on. Have any recomendations that might do better in a wooded area?

Subaru Ambassador PNW

The 07 HU I got came with the XM unit with it. So I just needed to run the cables. It wasn't hard at all. If you have a 07, it is pre-wired for it, but if not, you will want to use a aftermarket antenna, unless you can score all of the cabeling like I did.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Are you sure it can be converted? It would be waaaay nicer too... I can see some 06-07 headunits with AC for sub $200...

I will send you a beer for giving me such a great news!

Thank you!

Are you sure it can be converted? It would be waaaay nicer too... I can see some 06-07 headunits with AC for sub $200...

I will send you a beer for giving me such a great news!

Thank you!

The manual climate controls cannot easily be converted to the Auto Dual Zone.

However, what mweiner is saying, is you can go aftermarket. Us with the dual zone auto climate controls cannot. You can buy this mounting kit from Crutchfield and either A) install a single DIN head unit, or B) have a custom shop open the gap to "dual DIN", and insert a double DIN head unit (the route I would personally go).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ClAkR81WyaJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=112200&I=120998901

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2006/120/h120998901-f2.jpeg

Archived