LegacyGT.com

06 specB radio-a/c failure--happen to you??

So, today, I was stopped at a Sonic. Engine off, radio on, waiting for my order. After I started the engine, the radio turned off and the radio simply wouldn't turn on again. The a/c was blowing cold air but the display was dark. None of the radio or a/c controls would work even though there was cold air blowing.

After driving for about 5 minutes, trying to press several buttons with no success, suddenly everything turned on.

I have an 06 specB, about 17K miles. Any idea WHAT happened?

Thanks in advance.

Congrats! You'll never see it again! :lol:

Several people have had this happen as well. It seems to happen to lots of people once, then never re-occur. Can't tell you what causes it ... but unless it starts to happen more often, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think it has happened to me twice ... but I've had 2 different headunits, and I think it happened once each.

Go figure.

Me Too! It happened to me one day while out doing errands. So I drove it right into a Subaru dealership. When they restarted it, all was fine. But since I was there and they had some time, they offered to to do a full diagnostics. They took off the head unit, check all connections, the computer, etc. They came up with nothing.

screen name with spec b in it. CHECKspec b in title when problem has nothing to do with it being a spec b. CHECK

The head unit in the 06 Spec.B was a new offering from SOA. The model reference does have some relevance.

The head unit in the 06 Spec.B was a new offering from SOA. The model reference does have some relevance.

Nope. It was first offered in the 2005 VDC also. I had the same radio as the Spec.B long before the Spec.B was a twinkle in your eye.

The volume issue has been discussed ad nauseum here as well. It's simply a case of the knob being between two "indents." Vibrations from the engine or road vibration can then cause the volume to move up and down. If you want to ensure that the volume doesn't jump on it's own, just be sure that the knob settles in an indent that holds its place.

Thanks for the input. I don't know what it was. All I know was the a/c was on, the radio was playing and suddenly, the radio was DEAD. The display was dark, the a/c display was dark, and it kept blowing cold air. This persisted for about 5 minutes and then everything was OK.

I must say, all of these reviews (like Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc.) about Subaru's quality being really "improved" leave me scratching my head. This car's quality is really bad. From bits of trim not lining up properly, asymmetrical gaps between dashboard panels, the navi buttons not being aligned, etc., this car shows very little attention to detail. Interestingly, a friend of mine bought an Impreza only a few weeks after my specB. Her Impreza was assembled in Japan (mine in Indiana) and the fit and finish differences are VERY obvious. That Impreza is put together much better than my Indiana-assembled specB. Wonder if SOA is aware of this . . .

• 4 months later...
On the way to work this morning notice the head unit is not lit. Radio and heat/ fans are on just blank screens. Start hitting buttons and everthing turns on and off. Got to work shut off car and restarted to see if it would reset and nothing. Messed around with the dimmer switch and got a very, very faint glow could hardly make it out. Your thoughts? :spin: '05 27k

Archived