LegacyGT.com

definitive hands free phone discussion

ercdvs

searching around, i see a lot of 1/2 started information and speculation... but i wanted to compile this info in one place to add a hands free kit to my 2005 LGT.

According to threads on adding aux in to the radio, pin '3' enables call mode on the CN402 8 pin connector.. and pins 4 & 8 are the audio signal.

Is there a harness that uses this existing pin out, or has anyone had success connecting a 3rd party BT hands free to these pins ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im interested in getting a parrot kit. the problem is they dont offer a kit which combines the audio streaming features of the mk6000 kit with the GPS features of the 3200 LS color kit. I want to both stream audio from an aux source and use my cell phone as a navigation device.

the parrot kit does look like a winner... simply because they offer the easiest way to get it connected to the car.

on the other hand.. as long as the wires from any car kit are properly labeled.. i can easily add it to the radio / power as the proper diagrams floating around here make it clear what is what.

I mean... 3 pins for the radio (mute signal / speaker L&R) and then find a 12v power line?

the parrot kit does look like a winner... simply because they offer the easiest way to get it connected to the car.

Does your car have the Subaru underseat subwoofer? If so, does the subwoofer T-harness use the 8-pin connector? (if you have the "correct" sub for the 2005, you'll find that it does [ADDED: Only a few 2006 Legacy spec.B and Outback VDC models have a subwoofer that connects to the 8-pin socket]).

The Parrot Kit will not mute a subwoofer that uses the 8-pin plug without you making some extra modifications. [ADDED: Correct, but only applies to a few 2006 Legacy spec.B and Outback VDC models]

However, if you do have a sub that uses the 8-pin plug, the loop of wire between two of the pins is the phone audio input. For some reason, Subaru decided to short those two pins, even though the subwoofer doesn't have anything else to do with the phone input.

You can cut that wire in the middle and connect your mono audio into there. Then you only need to add one more new pin to the 8-pin plug for the mute control.

You mentioned in another thread that you also want to add the steering wheel remote radio controls. I suggest snipping the 8-pin plug out of a junked 2005 (or from somebody with a blown subwoofer with the correct T-harness) so you can transplant the extra pins you need.

I mean... 3 pins for the radio (mute signal / speaker L&R) and then find a 12v power line?
The phone audio input is mono. The two pins are signal +/-, not Left/Right. I think it's floating, like the radio's speaker outputs (the "-" side is not ground).

(In that other thread where people talked about converting the phone input into a stereo aux input, they did that via some microsurgery on one of the HU's PC boards)

You can use viper taps to get ground and +12V battery and/or +12V switched power from your subwoofer T-harness. Then you won't need to hack the car's factory harness.

To connect to the audio and mute control wires on the Parrot, you should only need a VW "into car" wiring adapter (what you normally would use to install an aftermarket HU in a late model VW). You won't need the Parrot Kits Subaru kit.

Found this thread on saabcentral.com forums: Pre-wired Telephone Install For Dummies!

This Parrot wiring picture was in post #9:

cable.jpg.f7ef9443f87263c0a7ae9192905fb616.jpg

All of the car radio connectors on the Parrot are ISO, used by (almost?) all cars and radios (both stock and aftermarket) in Europe. Also used by VWs here in the US.

The Parrot Kits Subaru kit just converts from ISO to Subaru's 14-pin radio connectors.

Addl. helpful info in post #10. (Ignore the Saab-specific wiring info)

Sounds like the Parrot CK3100 already has wires for a line-level audio out — ready for you to run into your Legacy's phone audio input...

CK3100 has two wires separate from the ISO connector wiring harness that are “line out” for the speaker.

So the parrot kit doesn't have the proper connector either? 14 vs 8 pin ?

if i am just going to run bare wire to the radio (lack of 8 pin connector for sat controls & hands free) why bother with the additional kit ?

according to the saab forum... its really just the +/- for audio (not L/R, i was mistaken) the wire for mute control, and finding power somewhere..

i was under the impression that there is a harness under the driver seat with power / speed sensor / backup triggers / etc that can be used...

on the other hand.. as long as the wires from any car kit are properly labeled.. i can easily add it to the radio / power as the proper diagrams floating around here make it clear what is what.

In addition to muting your head unit, the Parrot amplifies your signal so that it's loud enough to be played thru your stock speakers. Since my sub used the 14-pin connector, I had no probs w not being able to mute my sub.

yes.. i understand ... but my current issue is I need to plug into more in that 8pin connector... and why spend $50 on a harness that isn't really needed, provided I identify the correct wires for attaching to the radio & power.

If parrot identifies which wire is what coming out of the unit.. i can certianly match it up to signal & mute & power.

why spend $50 on a harness that isn't really needed, provided I identify the correct wires for attaching to the radio & power.

If parrot identifies which wire is what coming out of the unit.. i can certianly match it up to signal & mute & power.

true, the harness isn't essential, but for me it offered:

1) ease of use, true plug and play

2) possibility to revert to stock, with no trace

ISO connectors picture and pin-out. Pin marked "**" is phone mute input into radio. More info on ISO connectors than you probably wanted to know.

One of the ISO connectors has the 4 pairs of speaker wires. The other ISO connector has power, ground, power antenna, illumination, and a few other pins. Each of the ISO connectors also happens to have 8 pins, so don't confuse that with the smaller Subaru 8-pin sub connector.

As I mentioned earlier, many cars and radios in Europe have adopted this standard. Since Parrot is a French company, they also use that standard. So on many European cars, the harness included with the Parrot is already plug-and-play — no additional adapter cable needed.

The object labeled "MUTE CABLE" (see the image from the Saab thread) is an inline plastic module. It contains the four relays used to interrupt the radio's speaker outputs and substitute the Parrot's speaker-level audio onto the car's front speakers during phone calls.

This is the QCSub-1 harness:

qcsub-1.jpg.c7af7cec08f6cdbdcfc695450f31d742.jpg

(from [noparse]www.quickharness.com[/noparse]. $60 shipped :eek:)

The QCSub-1 harness only connects between the Parrot's ISO connectors (4 black connectors at top of picture) and the Subaru's 14-pin power/speaker connectors (2 white connectors at bottom).

The QCSub-1 does not connect to the Subaru's square 8-pin connector (subwoofer/steering wheel remote/aux in, etc.). Parrot doesn't want to deal with that — it would require adding a 5th relay to interrupt the signal going to the sub. Not worth their time/$ for the relatively tiny market (2006 Outbacks with rear-cargo area subwoofers).

I found this info in a thread on the Parrot UK forums:

i am interested in hooking up the evolution 3000 to an autocom system for use on a motorcycle.

i do not need the super-amplified outputs and relay-speaker cables.

is there a low-output solution (line out) on the evo 3000 or is that just on the higher models?

There is no Line Out on the Ck3000 / Evo, but the output can be attenuated.

The CK3100/3300/3200/3400 all have low level Line Outs as standard.

Parrot shows pin-outs and wire colors on the various installation diagram PDFs. Choose the particular Parrot model, then click on the Subaru logo.

The harnesses labeled "Car kit Parrot Battery" and "Car kit Parrot, car’s speakers" are the ones included with every Parrot. The next two are the Subaru-specific adapters in the QCSub-1 (their "Reference AC000044AA").

I looked at one of the Parrots in a Fry's Electronics store yesterday. There are labels on the loose wires (those not going into the ISO connectors). So you should have enough information to do what you want to do.

The above ISO pin-out can also help you identify the wires/colors going to the ISO connectors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on my kit to arrive.. but from what I gather:

The sub can be moved to a different pin ?

Pin 'x' (forget number) is the mute control.

Pin 'y' & 'z' (need to look up numbers) are the signal +/-

You need to tap a power line somewhere you are mounting.

AFAIK, when you have a signal on the mute line, then the radio itself will lower all inputs, up the volume, display 'PHONE' or CALL, and output whatever is coming in on the signal +/- lines to just the front speakers..

I expect an adventure in hooking it all up as I have radio controls for the steering wheel to hook into there too...

There are two pins (from the steering wheel thread) one for mute and one for phone, so I don't see a problem with hooking both.

Trabbic said when doing the install that he tapped a pin and the radio went into mute and displayed PHONE and took it out, put it on the next one and went into mute and said MUTE, so there are two pins you can use unless you want it done right andus the pin for PHONE.

I just want to know what has to be done to the subwoofer. I want to use the parrotkit.com harness to minimize cale hacking unless yes, there are 3 cable for power and what, 2 or 4 for front speakers and a mute and I can wire those in without a problem.

I may have jumped the gun here but I just ordered the CK3000 and the quickconnect harness. I have a sub and am planning to do the steering wheel mod too.

I don't have much knowledge about this stuff but will be checking back to figure out what to do.

I plan to take it to a professional to have it all done at once (oh yeah, and a 2007 stereo with Aux in). I'll ask him to document how he makes it work so I can report back here.

Cheers!

-Ian

Mine just arrived in the mail today. I didn't order the extra harness because the install *looks* pretty straightforward with which wires I need to plug in...

But then again.. it looks to be annoying to find all those wires and attach... $50 is a bit much for a simple wire harness

Connector CN402 / I85

On 2005 and 2006 Legacy radios

For Subwoofer, Steering Wheel "satellite" controls, and Phone input

Looking at the back of the radio the pins are numbered:

4 3 2 1

8 7 6 5

This is also the number orientation looking at the rear of the subwoofer plug (wires pointing towards you).

Pin assignments:

1 - Signal + (phone input) [no wire]

2 - Tel On (phone input enable) [no wire]

3 - Satellite (steering wheel) switches + [Violet/White]

4 - Subwoofer + [Red)]

5 - Signal – (phone input) [no wire]

6 - Subwoofer – [White]

7 - Satellite (steering wheel) switches – [Orange/White]

8 - Body Integrated Unit (AC controls) [Green] [CORRECTION: Illumination control, not A/C. See note at bottom]

Info derived from the CQ-EF1561L radio service manual*, linked to in another thread. First 3 pages attached. Page 3 has the connector pin-outs.

Wire colors from picture from Deer Killer's 2005 GT (10th picture in his 2007 Spec B Radio information thread). Some colors could be different in other models or 2006 (but all are probably the same).

On the car's harness, five of the pins have wires. The three that do not are pins 1, 2, and 5 (the ones for the phone input).

The phone audio input (pins 1 and 5) is line level. Both pins are floating — they connect through capacitors inside the HU — so it won't be a problem if your car kit grounds one of these two pins.

Connect pin 2 to chassis ground to mute whichever audio source the HU was playing (radio, CD, satellite) and enable the phone input. The display will show "CALL" and the phone audio will go to only the front speakers, with the volume set to 16 (which you may then change). After the call, the HU will return to whatever audio source and volume level you had it on before.

If the HU was powered off prior to the call, the phone enable pin will power on the HU for the duration of the call.

Side note — according to this service manual, the AC controls connect to the car via 2 pins on another 8-pin connector, CN405 (pins labeled TX and RX). However, it actually connects via a single pin on CN402 (pin 8). This is confirmed by Subaru's wiring diagrams, and Deerkiller's thread on transplanting a 2007 Spec B HU into a 2005. [ADDED: I was wrong. See note at bottom of this post]

*UPDATED: There's an error in the service manual. The pin number orientation (on the back of the radio, shown on page 3 of the manual) is correct — e.g., upper-left pin is #4. But the pin assignments in the manual are mirrored, due to incorrect numbers assigned on the PC board. For example, the pin that is really #1 on the connector is labeled #4 on the pad on the PC board.

I've updated my "Pin assignments" list above. I've also added wire colors that Deer Killer observed in his 2005 GT.

I think the pin assignments for CN405 are correct as shown in the service manual, since the pin numbers are assigned correctly on pads on the PC board.

UPDATE: Pin 8 is for "Night illumination dimness cancellation". When you turn on your headlights, the radio display dims. Some Subaru models have a "BRIGHT" button on the clock that makes the radio display go bright again (for times when you use your headlights during daylight). On 2006 and later, rotating the dimmer wheel on the dash all the way up (until it clicks) performs the same function as the BRIGHT button on earlier model years.

0505_CQ-EF1561L_01.pdf

0505_CQ-EF1561L_02.pdf

0505_CQ-EF1561L_03.pdf

I have my radio out and I am looking to get radio controls & hands free installed.

I ordered the parrot kit because, I could use the plug to install everything , rather then tap and add wires.

In progress as well

Just as an update: I did *just* finish installing the kit.. but only on a temp basis as I need to properly locate all the modules. Some random thoughts:

The $50 harness is a great addition for plug in ability, but I think i will end up hacking it up because we are not using the radios built in telephone ability

We are connecting purely to the power / speaker connections, leaving the parrot it to output to all ? speakers and mute the audio. I like it all so far, but I think i would like to make a wire harness that connects to 'pin 3' (display call) and the front speakers... if only to use the radio volume control for adjustment.

all in all, it reall does look like we just need to tap the various 12v leads (battery, constant) and the speaker +/-, and the call display pin...

That said, where the hell is everyone locating the big blue module? I can get all the wires and the power box to fit behind the ashtray.. but I can't think if I want that bluetooth? module accesable or not...

Well.. i finally figured out how to wire the parrot kit to use the standard subie hands free logic..

it seemed backwards though.. there are 2 modules in the parrot kit, one for the fuses & power, and the other controling the speaker output.

I kept the power module (but the wires are clearly marked , i can only keep what i want later) and i wired what seemed to be the 'output' of the parrot speaker module to the +/- pins on the radio.. but no dice.

i ended up using what I would consider the input, as in, this is where the subaru speakers connect into the module, for my output, and it worked.

The real question is.. where the hell can i source the pins to connect to either the subaru module or the parrot kit? The existing subaru module looks to be in 2 halves that hold the pin in the center.. it seems it would be a simple matter to add those pins to a wire, and simply plug it in the existing harness

Archived