LegacyGT.com

LGT Foglights functioning with parking lights?

rporter

Well, on the last business trip, I've learned that the LGT foglights are about as useless as most foglights that are required to work with the headlights on. On the other car, I have PIAA foglights, and the switch was rewired to work with the parking lights (or headlighrts, which is pointless), and they are very effective. Anyone familiar with the wiring to know how to rewire them to work with only the parking lights on? I'm sure they would be effective fog lights if you weren't blinded by the glare of the headlights off the fog!! I'm an old guy who only uses foglights when it's foggy (not to blind other people in bumper-to-bumper traffic!), so it would be nice to have them work as advertised!
Ron

These are more amptly described as "driving lights", filling in an area between the car and low beams. I would certainly not drive a car at night with just these lights on! The mod is on my website: [url]http://moojohn.com/subaru[/url]

Guest *Jedimaster*
John- any thought given on how to make them go on with the high beams? In your thread, I'd mentioned that wires running from the high beams to the fogs would do it, then you pointed out that relays would be needed to do it that way- any additional thoughts?

If you do the "second paragraph mod" - grounding the purple/blue wire, you will have fogs all the time - parking, low, and high beams. It will disable the switch completely though, so you may want to run that wire through a new switch and then to ground so you can still turn the fogs off if you want. Splice into it just like with the blue/white wire - cut it, connect to the side nearest the relay and tape up the other side of the cut.

In New Jersey, fog lights are required to be wired to operate with low beams, and off with the high beams. You wouldn't want to use high beams in the fog due to the glare (snow is equally bad). I left work at 1 am on Monday morning and there was heavy fog around Philadelphia. No complaints with the fog lights, they project a nice beam out front with a low cut-off.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='John M']If you do the "second paragraph mod" - grounding the purple/blue wire, you will have fogs all the time - parking, low, and high beams. It will disable the switch completely though, so you may want to run that wire through a new switch and then to ground so you can still turn the fogs off if you want. Splice into it just like with the blue/white wire - cut it, connect to the side nearest the relay and tape up the other side of the cut.[/QUOTE] Cool- thanks!

Thanks for the info, folks!! They are technically fog lights, per Subaru's description and the way they work. I was driving through fog back in October, and they were useless. The first week of the work gig, I took the SHO with the PIAA foglights, and the mod to make them work with the parking lights.....which worked great!! Back in '85 I bought a new Vette,and those foglights were wired to work with the parking lights, which also worked excellently. If the LGT had driving lights, they would be pencil beams that would shine beyond both the headlights and the high beams. BTDT, as I added driving lights to a car in the past.
Ron

I find fog lights very helpful with low/Parking/High beam for these reasons too; 1. with high beam in areas with lots of wildlife on sides of road (fogs light up side better) 2. with high beam when traveling in rain in norrow lanes with concreate seperators 3. with really thick fog, leaving fog light on with just parking lights I'm a ski patroller at a mountain known for heavy fog and this truly is better then with headlight on. jdkobe

Try these babies by themselves and you'll have the headlights on instantly. They are aimed so they light only the road between the car and where the low beams would hit. If you drive more than 5 mph with only fogs on, you will hit something guaranteed.

Archived