LegacyGT.com

so i was going to change my air filter and they didnt have the one i wanted so they wanted to see what it looked like (O'Reily's) and i took it out and showed them and come to find out they didnt have the one i needed (typical). anyways i put it back in and turned the car on and now i have a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and my cruise light blinks. what is the dealio? Anybody have any ideas?

The air sensor is connected back up by the way.

You're going to have to pull the code.

Use the built in code reader or go to a car parts store and ask them to borrow their OBDII reader.

Chances are that either you didn't fully seat the air filter and box or you pulled one of the MAF wires out.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a new air filter in today and also got a CEL plus my cruise control light started blinking. I just disconnected the negative battery terminal for a minute or two and the CEL was gone.

Later, Ed in Philly

I've got the same issue with the engine light and cruise control light flashing, only difference is I haven't done anything to the car other than put gas in for about a week. Last thing I did to the engine was add oil.

How do I use the built in code reader that is referenced above?

in the fuse panel in the drivers side foot well, look up high in there you'll see 2 white connectors taped up, not connected. connect them, then turn the car to the on position and push the trip meter reset, you'll get the codes.

I remember a couple years back when I first got the my car that I changed out the OE filter to a K&N and had this problem. I looked back at the intake and noticed that one corner of the lid wasn't locked closed and was allowing too much air to bypass the filter and was probably causing turbulence and confusing the MAF sensor. After re-sealing the airbox lid the CEL went away.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived