LegacyGT.com

New server ordered

Tide

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been convinced by work to use Debian, any geeks with opinions?

I guess work is not at apple anymore huh?

Whoever is doing the convincing are they going to help you admin the server?

What do you use now?

X

---

Heh gt_ltd, I know thats a corner of an eye, but my female boss, out of the corner of her eye, may think its something else.

I work at Facebook now, and it looks like I'd have an easier time maintaining debain over centos anyways, esp for random package upgrades.

Heh gt_ltd, I know thats a corner of an eye, but my female boss, out of the corner of her eye, may think its something else.

maybe your boss like box and she'll give you a promotion for it?

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Is you crazy! :lol::lol::lol:

The biggest part of this site is probably the SQL DB, and I highly doubt that is taking up all 150 GB's!!

Let's put it this way, where I work we have 50 designers, and 15 TBs of space. Only half of it is used, and that is with years of archives and big ass image files.

X

---

Any reason you ordered from Dell rather than "rolling your own"? I know I'm biased because that's what I do now (typical small computer store). When I worked for a college I built many servers that were subjected to large amounts of traffic (millions of hits a week). They were just a solid and reliable as our HP servers that cost well into the 6-digit range.

You're right about disk IO being a main bottleneck. Having several RAID arrays strategically loaded so that the high-demand tasks are spread out among different arrays will do wonders for response time. Of course, no cheap controller cards allowed on a machine of this magnitude. If cost is a concern, SATA Raptors can provide SCSI speeds at a noticable savings, and provide more disk space in return. It's easy to do six hot-swappable SATAs in a 4U enclosure. I know you pay by the U when colo'ing but I worry about heat in smaller enclosures with several drives.

CentOS is my favorite :D

I know since you don't know me in person I'm just some random "computer hack" but I'd be glad to supply a machine at cost (parts only, no labor) should we need a new server in the future. The components chosen could be part of a group discussion as well, so that everyone's input is heard when building the ultimate server.

dell had a couple sales going on and I saved like 800 on the whole box. I priced out a dozen places even building it myself, but nothing matched. given the 3 year parts replacement, seemed like a decent deal. I've definitely decided to go debian + vmware to split it into 2 servers. the drives are sas drives, 15k rpm, so i didn't skimp.

Archived