LegacyGT.com

Legacy Performance Projections using CarTest Software

[quote name='Xaqtly']It appears to be a little overrated actually, but I've only seen one dyno sheet and that was from a LGT that wasn't even broken in yet so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. It was 195 HP and 210 lb-ft of torque which I think is a little low. I'll be dynoing mine once I get another couple or few thousand miles on it.[/quote] Actually not! There's already been a couple guys who've dynoed at higher numbers. One got 202 hp another 216 hp from stock LGT's. And the guy that got the 202 hp had heavier aftermarket wheels on too. The couple who've dynoed in the 190's seem to have been newer cars with low miles on it and hot days. I think we'll see 210 hp to the wheels will be about average for the LGT. I think the WRX STI is putting down in the 230-240 hp range and the FXT has been in the 185-200 hp range The LGT seems to be rated about right. It's definitely NOT overrated. It puts out nearly 2 psi more boost than the FXT and only 1 psi less than the WRX STI, even though all 3 have different turbos.

[quote name='Driver72'] For the FXT manual: Since it's pretty well known this car really has about 235 hp, that's what I put it in as having. It keeps in consistent with Subaru's other 2.5 liter Turbos having the same hp and tq ratings. 0-30 in 1.47 seconds 0-60 in 5.97 seconds 1/4 mile in 14.39 @ 93.61 0-100 in 16.46 0-120 in 29.73 (These are also much more consistent with what other magazine testers have been getting with the FXT. Of course, that excludes the C & D test which appeared to have been a "ringer" car.)[/quote] Most magazines do not abuse their test cars as much as C&D usually do. I contend that the C&D test vehicle was not a ringer - FXT [b]can[/b] be [b]that[/b] "quick". I own a 4EAT FXT and can achieve 0-60 mph in 6.0+/-0.1 secs, as per the G-Tech Pro Competition gizmo (which is not dead-on accurate, but pretty consistent nevertheless), with torque braking to a hair under 3000 rpms. 1/4-mile best times are around 14.7 secs. For those of you still skeptical, here are some "hard numbers" from a NASIOC member with the FXT 5MT: [url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461743&highlight=fxt[/url] I have driven the FXT 5MT extensively and the LGT 5MT a handful (literally) of times. The FXT [b]feels[/b] "quicker" (this is a widely used misnomer, for "quick"="fast" and, as such, it pertains to rate of speed, not acceleration) than the LGT, and it probably does accelerate at least as fast, up to a certain speed (somewhere between 90 and 100 mph). After that, however, the LGT will accelerate faster (albeit not noticeably, given its smoother ride and better stability), due to its higher available hp/torque and superior aerodynamics. The overall feel of the two cars is entirely different, from a standstill launch to highway cruising. The FXT is comparatively more raw and audible - it does let you know that you are accelerating very, very quickly. The LGT, on the other hand, is much more subdued and deceptive: it does not communicate - through road noise (good thing), engine note (not so good), or steering feedback (not good) - as well what is happening between the tires and the tarmac. It is decidedly a touring car, not a sports car. This is in no way a criticism, since this is what the LGT was designed to be - they really got it right. One of the few criticisms I have of the LGT is the somewhat vague steering feel (compared to a 5MT FXT, ot WRX STi; I know the comparison is not entirely "fair"...), not in the sense of lacking precision (the steering ratio is quite adequate for spirited driving), but in the sense of communicating *exactly* what the tires are doing, even on a straight line (BMW's 3 series do this wonderfully; for comparison's sake, Audi A4's are far worse than the LGT). Going back to the 0-60 mph and 1/4-mile times, it is obvious that 5.3/13.8 for the FXT are [b]not[/b] real-world numbers, and very few people will reproduce them (or even attempt to). One thing are "the best possible numbers" (BPN), and another are "real-world numbers" (RWN). More often than not, people compare one car's BPN to another's RWN, and a heated debate ensues... Whether one places more emphasis on BPN or RWN is a personal matter [directly correlated to one's willingness (and ability) to abuse the car :) ], although most sensible people would pay more attention to RWN than to BPN. A couple of obvious questions are: 1. How does the LGT compare to the FXT in terms of BPN? 2. How does the LGT compare to the FXT in terms of RWN? Based on my experiences with both cars, I think the BPN for both cars (up to, say, 95 +/ 5 mph) should be very, very close, perhaps to within 0.1 secs of each other. The FXT might edge the LGT in 0-60 mph, but the roles might be reversed for the 1/4-mile. This is only a subjective impression, and I have no hard data to back this up. As far as RWN, the LGT seems a bit more eager to accelerate under mild throttle than the FXT (you would know this by looking at the speedometer, [b]not[/b] by the "buttdyno" reading :) ), and its RWN should be slightly better than the FXT's. These are very different vehicles, and LGT owners should not feel threatned by the FXT's performance, nor vice-versa. (If absolute performance is your main concern, forget the LGT and FXT - get a WRX STi, or, if you are independently wealthy, a 911 Turbo :D ). The FXT and LGT are both amazing cars for the price, and each of them sets a hard-to-reach standard in their respective categories. Kudos, Subaru! :twisted: PS: Here's another link to software-based performance estimates (using CarTest2000 or something with a similar name...): [url]http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=277&id2=0[/url]

• 5 months later...
Strange, my STi has a huge number of off the rev-limiter launches. I've taken home 20+ slips in just one of the nights its been at the strip. Basicly its all in how you launch if the transmission will last. Of course the clutch isn't the happiest thing about this. Basicly the transmission in these cars (even the current 5spds) can take a huge ammount of abuse. Just please realise that it is abuse, your milage may vary, and if you break something don't look at me.

Archived