LegacyGT.com

Ok, help me out here guys. Vibration in the rain.

wcbjr

Only happens when it is raining, and is repeatable every time now.

Decelleration in 4th or 5th gear(high front-end load) creates a loud vibration I can feel in my seat, pedals, and steering wheel. Comes from the front passenger side of the car, sounds like from the wheel well. Definitely RPM dependent and goes away when the cars slows down enough. Drivability hasn't appears to change and this never happens when it is dry outside. No CELs, nothing else is wrong.

All I can think of is something with the tire, but maybe something with the ABS? I have no idea.

If mods need to move this, feel free. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I'm not a Subaru expert (too new), but what that sounds like is your ABS is doing it's thing properly and something in the geometry/alignment/tire on the right front causes that tire to break loose easier than the front left.

Your comments that all else seems normal and that it goes away with reduced speed indicates you have a relative lack of traction at that corner in the wet - if you're braking hard the ABS will react only at that wheel if its appropriate.

How many miles do you have on your fronts? Is it time for a rotation/replacement?

Just some ideas from my Audi quattro days...

Good luck,

Pete

I guess I didn't quite explain well enough, my fault.

It's just decelleration, not braking. :confused: :confused: :confused: My foot is off the gas and the car is slowing down by itself, presenting a bit more load on the front tires.

I have a little bit more than Abe Lincoln's head left on the tires, 30k miles.

Maybe it's the diff?

The AWD system definitely works in the opposite way (Subaru recommends you leave it in gear when decellerating in snow to provide more stopping power). Could be your diff, but I can't imagine what about the rain would cause it to make that sound.

How many miles on the car? Have you checked the LCA bushing on the right? If the bushing is shot it could be allowing things to flop around under deceleration just enough to cause a shimmy.

Maybe the right hand tie-rod end is shot? Anything that might allow slop in the steering on one side. Have you noticed the car follows road grooves more than it used to? Tire wear might mask tie-rod slop - it should be more pronounced with trailing throttle going downhill on grooved pavement (artificial deceleration).

Wet weather just lowers the friction between the tire and the road enough for the tire to move around on it's own. You might pay attention to see if it's also present on dry pavement but at a much lower intensity.

Bad mojo all the same...

Pete

• 2 months later...
Well, it hasn't rained in a while, but this problem is still here. Also, I have a very distinct issue with vibration due to RPM. I can feel it in the pedals and in my seat, but not in the steering wheel. One time in reverse there was a horrible grinding/whining coming from the front. My rotors were surfaced today and any brake shudder has disappeared. I have rotated the tires and nothing has changed. It really feels like something is broken or bent. Any ideas? CV joint, although there is no visible grease anywhere.

Have you checked your suspension with your wheels in the air? Possible lower control arm bushing going bad? Also, tie rod end is possible as well. Bad wheel bearing? Loose axle nut? I'm just throwing some ideas atcha, Charlie.

Mika

There is one swaybar bushing that could be in better condition, but it appears functional. How can you tell if the stock endlink has gone bad? There is no grease on any boot and all other items look great. No exhaust leaks that I can tell. Next step is to get an alignment.

there's play in the endlink when you move it around, that's when you know it's bad.

this only happens in the rain right? Not in the dry? Do an alignment check and see if your car has excessive toe.. that's the only thing I can think of at this point.

i doubt your tires are slipping (but it's possible if it's the rain) which would cause the center diff to do something differently to where it starts to vibrate due to the load of power that it needs to transfer. Check your tranny and rear diff fluids to see if they are ok or not.

Keefe

Ok, I still haven't figured out the rain issue, but I found the source of my RPM based vibration. It appears the circlip holding my shifter down came out. The shifter was trying to pull itself up and apparently the gears weren't too happy about it. I greased up the shifter again and bolted everything back together correctly and Viola!

Archived