LegacyGT.com

Wasted a Golf 1.8t tonight.

It had to be modded to some degree because it was actually a pretty close race. But I pwned him at all speeds, top end and starting from 60. I pulled him pretty hard in 4th and 5th, I was just walking away and there wasn't anything he could do about it. And then I came across an R32 on my way back, but the driver wasn't interested in racing. Oh well.

Some people thatg drive cars that are coinsidered to be fast think they are too good to race, but a GT is something to step up to even if it makes the first move. That guy was a wuss chalk it up as a win man. I smoked some guy in a Golf or Jetta just after 1k. The GT is probably the biggest bang for the buck with the speed, handeling, and AWD, so this will get popular soon. So is anyone with me on getting some Civic shaped stickers and putting them on the the front doors every time one gets smoked? WWII fighter style :D

Easy Kevin, its only the lads having a bit of FUN........ Have to admit you should have TOTALLY wasted him. 1.8 Vs 2.5, you should have really killed him anywhere and everywhere. I had a guy two days ago over take me then really cut me off, I though ahh ok, just leave him, but the driver within got the better of me. So I nailed it, caught up to him, had my driving lights on, pulled within a car length, I think he thought, hmmmm Ive bitten off more than I can chew here, he pulled over to the next lane and I flew past. I didnt even have to look at him, he was disgraced enough. Adam. PS. I had a new Liberty GT TRY and chase me down yesterday, ahh no go. He finally caught me about 15Kms later only as I was doing the speed limit but could see him trying to catch up. Disgraceful, he should have served me.

agctr, I agree - the stock 1.8t Golf isn't a match for the LGT, that's why I was assuming he was at the very least mildly modded. Almost definitely chipped, and probably exhaust too. When he got a slight lead on me on the start, I wasn't able to catch him immediately, it took a bit. But as the speed went higher, the speed differential increased and I started walking him with authority. :) We did this a few times and right as we started out our acceleration was very similar, with me having a slight edge. As we got faster I would begin to pull him, then pull him hard. That's what all that extra displacement and a .29 coefficient of drag will get you I guess :) But yes, stock 1.8t Golfs are not nearly that quick. Oh and at one point we did take a sweeping freeway interchange at ludicrous speed, and I'm happy to say that while I didn't lose him in the turns, neither was he able to catch me - and after the apex I began pulling away from him. Pretty satisfying. :)

Yeah have to admit that the GOLF and the AUDI 1.8T's are pretty trick bits of gear. Plenty of go and they love to rev, bit down on weight compaired to the GT as well. Wasnt tryin to flame you at all, sorry if it seemed that way, not my intent but glad to hear that you took him to driving school. Was it an R32 ? A friend of mine has a 1.8T AUDI, I loved driving it, FWD but gee it had some go, big BOV too, niiiiicceee... But they wont be EVER able to corner like the AWD system of the Scoob unless it was an R32 or S3....... Love watching FWD and RWD cars try and follow me thru the same lines, very funny. LOL. Adam.

My cousin has a 1.8t with a chip in it that adds 40 horsepower to it and believe me when he turns it on these cars are no joke he smoked my Celica from rolling start and a stop. I don't have the Legacy yet so don't know the outcome but at any rate I'll have to wait till break in anyway so it won't be for awhile.

R32 = 250 hp 3.2L VR6 Golf IV with AWD, Koing seats, Porsche Brakes, 18 inch wheels etc. Quite a package indeed. People will tell you it's a $30k Golf and that's crazy......but really it's as capable as a $45k Audi TT3.2 for how much less money ;) If you ever see one, make sure you open your window because the exhaust note is simply out of this world, from my personal experience.

R32 240 hp (6200rpm) 236 tq (2800rpm) HALDEX AWD weight: 3400lbs 6 speed manual They are pretty nice cars - like the looks a lot (leather, sunroof, 18" rims, painted brake calipers, etc.) with very nice interiors and an agressive exhaust note (almost better than my old 350Z). But they are also very heavy - so not quite sure about performance.

R32's aside, I can also comment that modded GTI's and Jetta's (Chip & turbo-back) will be anywhere from quicker to slower (depending on the driver and car) than a stock LGT. Modded Leg's aside, you shouldn't [b][i]expect[/i][/b] to walk on them. I have seen 14.3 stock on a GTI. I personally will be curious to see the numbers on the 2.0 16v turbo in the Mk V.

If a stock 1.8T Golf comes anywhere near the Legacy GT, I would be surprised. They are fun and quick little cars but with a twist beam rear axle ala the original 1974 Rabbit (US release) and the breathless k03 turbo, the limitations are fairly obvious. With fairly extensive modifications (front mount, 17 psi, full turbo back, etc...), a 1.8T would be very competitive if not faster than the Legacy GT but the drivetrain is a major limiting factor and ultimately, it's fairly pathetic that an extensively modified turbo MKIV will only just keep up with the Legacy when you start comparing $$$$ spent on one vs the other. I wouldn't even consider a 1.8T MKIV to be in the same class as a Legacy GT modified or not. I would also be surprised if a factory suspended MKIV could remain anywhere near a Legacy through anything resembling a corner. For those who think that the Legacy pushes on RE92's, try driving a front heavy Golf or Jetta without lifting the throttle through any kind of real corner at speed. The R32 is something of a different matter as it utilizes a completely redesigned chassis (from the up and coming MKV) and a fully independent suspension along with poly bushings and the like but it is quite front heavy with the 24V 3.2 VR6. Mild tuning helps with this significantly but don't expect the Haldex (front slip rear grip like the original Synchro VW design) to perform as flawlessly as the tried and true drivetrain in your Subie. If it had the Quattro, that might be a bit different but it isn't tuned to do any kind of slot car racing or anything. If you catch an R32 on the highway, stay very far away from it. The R32 would make a silly mess of you anywhere between 60mph to 90 mph and far beyond. The design and tuning philosphy of something like the R32 is very different from that of the Legacy or any other Subie design for that matter. Almost not comparable but not something to be taken lightly at speed. As for the Beetle that someone was referring to earlier, they did a early concept Beetle that utilizes the same 24V 3.2 VR6 rated at 240hp with an early production release of the Haldex LSD. It is essentially the same design as the Golf but there was a very limited production run and none of them saw the states. As of yet, they have not applied a turbo to the VR6 from the factory but HGP will happily tune an R32 with a sequential twin turbo setup (for driveability) to any number that you would like between 450hp to somewhere around 550hp to the wheels and probably beyond if you were so inclined and didn't mind spending the $$$$. If you see RH's, anything that hints at KW, or HGP, I'd recommend closing your windows and pretending like you didn't see it. But don't expect that HGP R32 to run anything similar to a factory turbo car. As I recall, HGP is using the factory ECU from the R32 to control the whole system with nothing more than a replacement eprom/flash and maybe a boost controller. Not exactly high tech or anywhere near ideal for a modern day turbo. Ok. I'm done rambling. Just thought I would chime in. I love VW's. I've driven nothing but Audi/VW over the last 15 years but there isn't a car in VW's stable that comes anywhere near the performance and quality at anywhere near the price that all of us paid. A 2.8 liter V6 from Audi's ancient part's bin and front slip rear grip 4 Motion drivetrain in a Passat for $35k is pretty scary if you think about it. Certainly nothing to write home about when you could have bought a fully loaded Legacy GT for much less. Don't even get me started on the Phaeton or the new 2.0 16V Turbos (guess 5 valves per cylinder wasn't all that ideal after all). Sheesh....

• 4 years later...

VW is a labor of love.

love my spec but sweat and R32 exhaust note. indistinguishable to me, I can call it a mile away.

so raspy, so angry.

when the stig was racing it, clarkson remarked how nice it sounded. the MK5 was superior to its predecessor on the road course.

Archived