LegacyGT.com

Tail happy handling?

All I can say is this thread should be a must read for all drivers. I am very fortunate to find this site. Had my first induced rear end kick-out 2 days ago ( Icey + snowy conditions and curious about AWD ) and after reading the whole thread from start to end, I found it to be jam-packed with great info. Thanks for sharing and keep the shiny side up! - Rob (Area-51)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to admit i am new to AWD on a car, I had a jeep cherokee so i know a bit what its like in the snow, better not invincable. With My GT when we get our first real snow i will be heading to a deserted parking lot to find the limits so i can avoid getting to them on the streets. My firts real wreck was my fathers 99 cougar. It was on a 30mph turn that I took at like 50 in what ever i drove and never had a problem with it but it was raining and i was taking it easy at 30-35mph. Went into the first curve passing a cab as it turned to 1 lane and it skided to the left so i corrected this and it skid to the right. As this was happening I was thinking no big deal I'm just going to spin it around a bit make a Uturn and that wil be that. Right after that thought I see a tree and realized the car ic going to hop the curb and hit it. As i hit the tree my head hit the window and it broke at the same time so it wasn't too bad and the seemed ok but i was a bit shaken up, so i try to open the door and it moved less then an inch so i crawl out the passanger side. The drivers side door, was bent in between 8 to 12 inches and the frame was bent a little. The car was repaired, $7k in damage, and it was fixed by the same guy that did all the maintnance on it. He also did rally cars so a trip to his shop was allways fun, but when myu father took the car in for inspection the one way tires were on backwards! they were only on in the front (my father is not all there in new auto tech) and we think this was the problem and part of the reason for the accident because I would alway skid out my cars and knew how to correct skids extreamly well but who knos who cares it's done. On the plus side I walked out of it without and major injuries even though the car would have said otherwise, just a few bumps and bruises and my left knee has a perminant injury form when the inner door panel slamed it. That knee is pretty much shot from that, The 4 car pile up in my jeep a month later (it got slamed into the dashboard) and getting it cought up in the front of a snowmobile when i flipped it. That was fun i limped over picked it up ode the hell out of it, then got on a 700cc and did 110mph accross the lake. I don't learn quick when to take break.

[quote name='area 51'] Thanks for sharing and keep the shiny side up! - Rob (Area-51)[/QUOTE] But what if you have a shiney new turboback exhuast?!? :lol: Yea, there's definitely ways to get ANY car sideways, it's just that you have the luxury to be able to send power to the rear wheels at will (with the certain parameters). This will come from practice. I am pretty comfortable now with an AWD Turbo car as I know now that car can lag a bit (so you have to anticipate your driving to it) and that the car can drive like a FWD at times as well as RWD at times (as the driver, you have to know under certain situations will provoke the car to act like a FWD or act like a RWD). Drive safe and just be careful and properly learn those limits legitimently. If you need help on how to make the car act like FWD or RWD, you can just PM me and I can give you some idea of what to look for. I am not going to purposely write a 9-page post about how to drive the car as if you were born with it. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='agctr']PS, dont try the WRC Rally tail flick too hard or you might find the backend wanting to say hello to the front. I caught it but it was a hell of a ride. Adam. PS Keefe, nice kill shots.[/QUOTE] AKA "Scandavian Flick". Actually, the softer you do it is worse than doing it hard.. the car will tend to understeer more so cuz the tarmac isnt as forgiving as dirt or snow. Just [I]feel[/I] the slide and countersteer according to the slide. Everything is anticipation. Usually for me now, the moment I even see objects going sideways in my view, my steering wheel is already pointed to the direction of the slide. You dont have to point DIRECTLY in the car's traveling path, but steer it so that the tires in the front still have grip to correct the car in the manner of where it needs to go (more a level 2 kind of technique after understanding level 1 of knowing how to correct the oversteer).
Keefe

Yup hear what you are saying but its all in style and make sure if you are going to practice that you set up some cones or points that you can work out how much input you need or dont need. Dont use light poles or other vehicles on the road or it could get messy. This one is all about practice, practice, practice, but remember as stated above by Keefe, that all roads will react differently and as such will bite and lose and bite and lose differenet to dirt which can be to a degree the same. Happy Sliding...... Adam. PS Finally made it to the 2000 Club..

Just be cautious when practicing dry drifts as you should be worry about tire pressures (there's that phrase again).. when you know what tire pressures to run, it will make drifting soo much easier and last longer. Keefe (500 more to go for me)
Keefe

Archived