LegacyGT.com

Navigation unit compatibility

njsub

I wrote Subaru this morning asking about the rumors that the '06s will have a navigation option and also asked if that option would be able to fit in prior years. Here's the response (it doesn't look good) :( --- [font=Arial]Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your message. We are aware that we are currently researching Navigational Systems for our future vehicles. We hope that have this feature available in some of our 2006 models. We should have information on our 2006 models late next Spring. The necessary wiring is not within our 2005 models. So, I would think that a future Navigational System would not be available as a retrofit kit for current and past Subaru models. Since so much work goes into development for current model vehicles' accessories/parts, we generally do not design parts and accessories for previous model year vehicles. However, I will forward your message to our Product Planning Department for their information. [/font] [font=Arial]---[/font]

My Answer... I bought one of these 2 days ago [URL=http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productde]Dell Axim x50v[/URL] and will be purchasing a software/hardware gps solution to run on the Axim. Total cost will end up being $750ish.. this also allows me to carry it to other cars, run other software (OBDII, MP3, etc...).. with bluetooth it can even interface with your phone. I think everybody here should stop hoping for a built in system and move on. Its not going to happen for us 05ers.. and the 06ers will have a 2k premium added on to the car. I know everybody wants a nice integrated factory system.. but just think how often you actually use it.. A month after you show all your friends how cool it is.. you wont even turn it on. Atleast if you buy a Pocket PC navigation solution, you can use it for other things.. like posting here while in your car via mobile internet.. Fun Stuff!!

[quote name='njsub'] [font=Arial] The necessary wiring is not within our 2005 models. [/font] [font=Arial]---[/font][/QUOTE] That's HOOEY. Where this is a will, there is a way. Just like people here at my company, everything is replaceable. :lol: It just comes down to economics......what would it cost you to source all the OEM parts for a (potential) '06 OEM nav system through the parts dep't? To make my point - I want the black MOMO steering wheel from the 3.0 spec B model offered every where but the US - it has the controls for radio functions. It comes std. on the USDM 3.0 Outback models (but with wood trim), so we know the LGT is (probably) pre-wired for it. The USDM radios are the same model for the LGT and LLBean models (with steering wheel controls) Is it possible? Yes? Financially feasible? Probably not. P.S. I used to work at a hi-end A/V shop back in the day. There is nothing that can't be done as long as you have more money than sense :D

after everything is said and done, you're right. i'll probably just go with a nice magellan unit or something. the money i'd spend on a pocket pc or something like that would be the same as a gps unit. and i'd never use the pocket pc for anything else. especially if i went with sirius or xm (no need to mp3s then)

[font=Arial]*sigh*[/font] [font=Arial] [/font] [font=Arial]1) Your response was answered by the random human that answeres website questions. Unless it is about things that are documented or in the manual. IGNORE HIM. [/font] [font=Arial][/font] [font=Arial]Note the [size=2][i]"..So, I would think that a future Navigational System would not be available.."[/i][/size] [/font] [font=Arial][/font] [font=Arial][b]???? THINK ????[/b][/font] [font=Arial][/font] [font=Arial][/font] [font=Arial][size=2]2) MY05 was a signifigant revision in the exterior & interior. While the '06 won't be 100% the '05.. it will be damn close. If you look at the standard nav options in the non us cars... the entire center dash section between both air inputs is GONE and replaced with a bigger piece.[/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2]You might have to do some creative wiring to get it hooked up.. but it will work.[/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2]3) I bet 10% of the people who want nav actually have a need for it. For the rest.. its just a novelty item... a "Hey, this is cool". I would rather my car $3000 less. if the nav option was offered on '05.. i probably would have turned it down for the cost.[/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2]4) if you really must have a nav.. there are many posts on :[/size][/font] [list] [*][font=Arial][size=2]aftermarket systems that will fit in the existing space[/size][/font] [*][font=Arial][size=2]dealerships that will intall something for you[/size][/font] [/list][font=Arial][size=2] Anything is possible with money.[/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2]please NAV discussion... RIP![/size][/font]

[quote name='RoundBoy'][font=Arial]*sigh*[/font] [font=Arial] [/font] [font=Arial]1) Your response was answered by the random human that answeres website questions. Unless it is about things that are documented or in the manual. IGNORE HIM. [/font][/QUOTE] Agreed, these front line people are usually clueless. As far as I know, other people have verified that the ECU already has support for NAV. Craig

I agree that most people who want in-car nav just want them for the cool factor. Personally, I much prefer using a portable Garmin GPS nav unit. They are cheaper and easier to upgrade, I can take it with me when I travel, I can get databases for just about anywhere in the world, and when I change car, I can bring my nav unit with me. I don't know about you but when I am in a city I do not know, I usually got there by plane and I'm driving a rental car. When I'm driving within 500 miles of my home, I do not need any nav. SLy

I have a 03 wrx and have made a pact with myself that once the legacy gt has HID headlights and a NAV system I'm trading in the WRX. well i've been thinking and the NAV system is great (i get lost A LOT!) but how often do I really use it?! Also my co-worker just got a new jeep cherokee and it has a nav system, it's NOT touch screen though, you have no idea how annoying it is to type in a location using a direction knob and an enter button. just aweful. So hope that the subaru unit is touch enabled. I've decided to go with the garmin software for my laptop. for $170 i get a full featured nav system on a laptop that I can bring anywhere.

Archived