LegacyGT.com

Radar Detectors

You won't answer but you will comeback.Like an accident ,people always got to look.I know how to use the SEARCH function and often proves usless and like most threads in here, it gets taken over by Cholos trying to give brownie recipes or to "sword fight" with someone who thinks they know it all. Like you just having to chime in to use the word "nOOb".I do have etiquette but I would be better served not to get responses like ..grap,nOOb or da shite.Sorry if your panties got twisted.I'm looking for solid input. So, if hope you've accomplished whatever you intended to do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the difference between the Red display and Blue display X50... (obviously besides the display color :lol:)

none just the display color is different plus blue is more money. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

:munch: catch more flies with honey.............
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Radar detectors don't emit signals, they detect them, don't they? A radar signal is a low frequency em wave...you don't have to 'emit' a signal to see a flashlight beam, and you can see a flashlight beam long before the person holding it can see you.

i understand where you're coming from, but VA state troopers do have a detection system to determine whether or not radar detectors are being used. as far as the tech they use, i'm not familiar with the specifics.......

Go here.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/march-2007/radar-detector-test.html

And go to the very bottom, cops use the Spectre 3 to detect other RDs. V1 doesn't fair very well....

^ Exactly.

The only option - for me at least, if I lived in a detector-prohibited area, would be the Bel STi-Driver.

Spectre and VG2 "radar detector detector" (commonly referred to as "RDD" - and yes, one69chev, you're very correct - VA has been known to use VG2, and they did somewhat recently purchase the Spectre - but it is unknown how many Spectres are in-operation, and this is in-turn the primary threat as aside from the STi, none of the other detectors are able to sufficiently cloak themselves to the Spectre III) will be your worries in VA, Diggs753, and so far, the STi is the ONLY detector which has shown to be proficient in cloaking its presence.

Scotty, mwiener2,and jpapworth -->

cheaper radar detectors reflect back a signal that the police can use to tell it's a radar detector. The more expensive ones are shielded.

I think the microwave reciever in the detector can also emit a low level signal that cen be picked up if it's not shielded properly.

Some shielding works, some doesn't.

Unfortunately, this is not the V1's strong suit - neither is it a strength that the x50 or the 9500i carries.

The only detector that is, so far, "invisible" to the Spectre is the Bel STi-Driver.

Yes, all of the top-line detectors are sufficiently sealed/modulated as to prevent VG2 detection - well, more or less ;) - but the potential of Spectre presence in VA is high, and I would say that it is just not worth the risk.

And yes, it's been absolutely confirmed that only the STi-Driver is Spectre-immune. Not only in hobbyist/enthusiast independent tests, but also in real-world situations. There have been more than a handful of reports from Canadian radar-detector users of V1s and x50s being detected by their enforcers, and confiscated/cited.

[ the following is also for ncretter, as well as mwiener2 ]

The basic premise, however, is not that the detector produces a reflected signal, but that the detector's local oscillators transmit back out of the antenna as it feeds-back through the first mixer. Thus why it's called "leakage."

---

As far as usage is concerned, this is from The Veil Guy's website, and presents a very, very valid point:

For other drivers, realize really astute officers will likely still be able to determine detector usage when your vehicle is targeted by their radar gun if you quickly decelerate (the normal response to an alert) which can be done visually - either by an abrupt drop of your vehicle's front-end under heavy breaking, a rapid decrease in speed readings on the radar gun, or from the rear by observing brake lights or by audio - listening to the rapid decrease in the RADAR's Doppler tone at point of trigger pull.

At any rate, be prepared with a good explanation as to how you "visually spotted" the officer at the same time he/she pulled the trigger of their police radar gun.

And speaking of VEIL:

Laser Veil is the poop.. (not da shite)

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

It has been shown even in independent hobbyist testing that, particularly against certain enforcement LIDAR hardware, that the VEIL coating can *significantly* reduce distance-to-acquire.

Yes, VEIL does have its problems (i.e. variable longevity, aesthetic impact, impact to lighting intensity/effectiveness/code-violations, steep learning curve with respect to application, potential for permanently staining the applied area, etc.), but it is also rather undeniable that its proper use can and will help reduce punch-through (PT) distance and/or even aid/synergize with various active laser jammers (as well as other passive means) in true "Jam-to-Gun" (JTG) capability.

I typically recommend for anyone who faces LIDAR as a primary threat that they invest in a good active jamming setup, and use VEIL and other passive measures as "boosters" to even further increase jammer performance and/or to address specific PT trouble-spots. However, for those who live in jammer-forbidden areas, a complete battery of passive measures (i.e. VEIL for the lights and/or using headlight covers - which itself may be dressed with VEIL, de-chroming, using a black "bra" for the front of their vehicle, "dressing" the front plate with either VEIL, LaserShield, or 3M Clear Duct Tape, or even using a fiberglass or color-photocopied replica plate - or any of a combination or even all of these measures) may be all that the owner is willing to undertake, based on his/her "moral flexibility" as well as how they may interpret the hassles that even comes with just a low-fine civil offense.

Further debate on usage tactics, getting back to RDDs, has brought-up the argument/suggestion of "why not just use a super-leaky detector," so that it drives the RDDs crazy, and use ambient traffic as concealment. This could work, certainly, but its use would be highly tactical in nature, and the end-outcome may depend on a number of factors, the least of which is the interaction between the enforcer's and the detector-user's own tactical abilities.

----

As an aside:

jpapworth - You might want to be careful with the TrueLock, particularly if you have a unit that dates back to the first months of the 9500i's introduction:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1230056&highlight=9500i#post1230056

Start with post 55, on page 4, of the above-cited thread.

I would highly recommend that you pursue in-depth experimentation/testing of your own unit, to insure that you are getting proper/acceptable TrueLock performance.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I haven't had any problems like that. I live in Arizona and the damn photo radar vans and speed traps are EVERYWHERE. I have my unit set to display any frequency it picks up. Stores usually emit some sort of X band and I lock out that band and frequency. I haven't had any problems with overlap at all. I got mine in May so maybe it is a later unit...? The only problem so far is that its not blue like my old X50.

^ It may indeed be your revision - there should be a four-digit number on the bottom of your unit, the first two numbers correspond to the week, of the year (the second two numbers) that your unit was made.

It seems that some are reporting that the "steps" of the band are too large/steep, as well as the problem with the physical lock-out area. Your location in AZ may have something to do with the latter, particularly if you're not in a too-infested zone in terms of noise issues.

Hopefully, the TrueLock, even as it stands now, will serve you well! Just remember to keep "testing" it for a bit longer, just to be sure. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Thanks TSI for the good info I'm beginning to lean towards the Bell Sti got good reviews on SpeedZone and other sites.Definately want the sheilding ,to get a speeding ticket is bad enough I don't want any of the "add ons" like Tint yadda yadda............And it's not attitude PGT ...I don't suffer fools gladly.Never have,never will.I want info...that's all .If you think one person will withold info based on social niceaties I guarantee someonelse will give the answers I want.It's a big Web.If you're feelings are hurt in anyway ..get over it.I will.

Diggs.... while I don't approve of people shitting in others threads... I would like to ask you nicely to lessen up on the attitude.

There is a difference in trying to keep on topic and being a smart ass. It's a fine line... and you seen to have jumped over it.

So..... welcome to the board ....

Now... let's keep the jabs out of this one, ok guys?

^ If he's going with the STi-Driver, though, which I honestly would recommend due to his need for superior shielding, I don't think he's going to be able to do any completely-integrated installs.

The casing has to be intact, and that means that he can't take off the front display.

My best-recommendation would be to use some kind of visor CD-holder or other visor-attached "organizational device" to serve as the mount and also as visual concealment for the STi, and hardwire the SmartCord remote mute button into either our covered ashtray or the covered cup-holder area for discrete remote actuation of primary controls (and to make sure that the unit is on full-dark mode for night-time use).

I'd also rig a secondary power-cut/kill-switch, so that the unit can be easily and completely taken off-line for the inevitable "enforcer in your window" interview scenario, as well as to insure full concealment at, say, rest-stops or refueling stops, where your windows/door may be open, and the start-up sounds (or warning sounds) of the detector can be compromising.

---

I think that there's a lot of outside considerations that the OP needs to work through in terms of detector selection. The choice of detectors, in my mind, is easy - it's the Bel STi-Driver or nothing, simply due to his shielding needs - but how the detector is set-up as well as how it is used, tactically, should be the basis of some serious thought and planning for the OP.

Archived