LegacyGT.com

So I drove WRX wagon...

So just for fun I test drove a used '04 WRX wagon 5 speed today and was shocked at how gutless it was. It has been years since I drove one and this one felt so slow compared to the Legacy. My Leggy has only a few simple mods, XPT roadtune flash with 15.5 psi of boost, panel filter, snorkel delete and straight pipes after the third cat. After romping the WRX around town and on the freeway with a white knuckled Honda salesman who asked "Does this have turbo boost?", I got back into my car and was rewarded with what can only be described as rocketship like acceleration once I sped away in the Leggy. The difference in power was fairly shocking. Has anyone else had a renewed sense of pride in their Leggy after driving a stock WRX?

I can kind of agree, although gutless might be a little extreme. I recently picked up an 05 WRX wagon even though what I really wanted was an 05 LGT wagon. I couldn't wait forever, and there were none to be found anywhere near me while I was shopping.

I would liken the WRX to a Civic or n/a LGT driving around town under 3500 rpm, which is perfectly fine for me, because I just want the extra boost every once in awhile. The extra .5 displacement does make a difference, and the LGT puts you back in the seat better than the WRX does, IMO.

Either car was a step up for me after driving an Accord for 11 years, so it also depends on what you're used to in terms of performance.

I can relate, I went to the subie dealership back in the day to test drive an 05 WRX, didnt feel that fast to me so I tried the "new" legacy gt, guess which one I bought?

No contest, the 05+ LGT owns the 05- WRX (06+ get same engine). I believe that even a stage II 05- WRX will just barely if even pull on a stock 05 LGT (MT to MT)

I actually thought maybe something was wrong with the WRX. In my mind I kept saying, "it can't be this slow". When they first came out in '02 I thought they were so quick. I guess I got spoiled by the LGT. For a comparison I guess I will test drive an '06 WRX now.

I actually thought maybe something was wrong with the WRX. In my mind I kept saying, "it can't be this slow". When they first came out in '02 I thought they were so quick. I guess I got spoiled by the LGT. For a comparison I guess I will test drive an '06 WRX now.

When the WRX came out in 02 it was "that fast" comparitively, nowadays tho it isnt.

I actually drove an 05 mustang GT directly prior to the WRX and LGT.

The WRX was nowhere near, but the LGT had a similar feel torque wise. That was really the main diff between the WRX and LGT, a boatload more torque at low rpm.

I remember when these came out in '02. I wanted one so bad but I didn't have the funds. What is really funny is the insurance (for me in NJ) is about 500.00 more than the Legacy GT. This is probably for the young kids that buy these and keep it at 5000 rpms all the time even while driving in a parking lot.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Archived