LegacyGT.com

Consequences of no front plates in TX?

dr_sharp

Specifically, San Antonio...

I'd guess just warnings?

Anybody else sticking to the man w/o a front plate?

Just moved down here and was fortunate that dealer did not install front mount... hoping to not ruin the front bumper.

lol

should've kept your car registered out of state as I did. five years of Tx motoring and only warnings for speeding, etc.

Would have gladly, just worried about insurance claims :(

How far south of Austin are you? I've traveled to Austin and back 3 times... the traffic I just cannot stand. :eek:

lol

been running no plate for 2 of the 3 years and ~20,000 miles that I've had my car...got pulled over once, told the cop I had the plate in the trunk if she wanted to see it (and told her how stupid it was of me to say that afterwards:lol:) She lemme go with a warning...

kept insurance, DL, voter ID, everything, out of state(own home-property in another state). it's totally legal to do so, just pisses off all the tax lords!

in S. Austin, not south of Austin.

20+ years, only a couple of warnings, no tickets. It's a joke really. The next time you take a trip longer than 10 minutes or so have your passengers count the number of cars w/ no front plate. It's easily 10% or more, and the percentage is even higher on high-end sports/luxury cars and trucks.

I've been driving w/o the front plate since I got mine back in January with no problems (knock on wood). My wife's uncle has been driving many years w/o the front plate and never pulled over. The general manager of the dealership put my front plate in a place sleeve explaining that the law was under review or something like that. Technically the plate can rest on your dashboard and be in compliance. I have two screws and the plate in my car in the event I need to install.

If you get pulled over just act suprised and pissed off. "It was there yesterday WTF someone must have stolen it or it fell off. Maybe it's in my garage. Thanks for letting me know officer":lol: Then they will hopefully just give you a warning. I've never had a problem in the city cause they're too busy. It's when you hit some small town and the local Sherrif tags ya that you get the ticket.

BTW whats the deal with paper plates in Texas? I got pulled over in Houston while on vacation in 1990 for not having paper plates. I had Nebraska "in-transits" in the windows of a new Mustang and got pulled over. When the officer asked "where are your paper plates?" I said "why are we going on a picnic?" He apparently didn't see the humor in it and gave me a speeding ticket for 5 over.

Sorry I'm an outsider, but had to post.:redface:

Let's kick this pig!

When I had my Saab I got pulled over on Plano Pkwy going about 10-12 miles over the limit, got a ticket for that PLUS tint was darker that allowed by law AND ticket for no plate on the front. I had to "install the plate" and take the car to Dwntwn Plano city hall make an apptmt w/ inspection officer to clear me. Hmmm, that was not a waste of tax dollars at all! ... As far as the tint .... well after a major battle I was cleared as it ONLY applies to SEDANS and the Saab was 4-door HTBCK, Outback/Forester/Leg Wagon drives take note ...

When I had my Saab I got pulled over on Plano Pkwy going about 10-12 miles over the limit, got a ticket for that PLUS tint was darker that allowed by law AND ticket for no plate on the front. I had to "install the plate" and take the car to Dwntwn Plano city hall make an apptmt w/ inspection officer to clear me. Hmmm, that was not a waste of tax dollars at all! ... As far as the tint .... well after a major battle I was cleared as it ONLY applies to SEDANS and the Saab was 4-door HTBCK, Outback/Forester/Leg Wagon drives take note ...

What is the min % tint allowed?

lol

You know I really do not know ... I know the Saab I had was REALLY dark, like ghetto-limo dark on the back, looked great. It was done by this co. in Austion. The cop pulled out a testing device and told me to put down the back window - I was not sure what he was asking ... checked the tint and it registered way to dark, like I said ... it was all dismissed when I explained first to the cop what a SAAB even was and to the inspection red-neck who questioned the same ...

If you get pulled over just act suprised and pissed off. "It was there yesterday WTF someone must have stolen it or it fell off. Maybe it's in my garage.

Mine have actually been ripped off before. No joke. Maybe its because they were Alaska plates.

What is the min % tint allowed?

In texas it's 25% on the sides and any amount on the rear window.

I use to drive a lot with my front plates when I lived in central texas and got pulled over a few times but always left off with a warning.

Now I live in north Texas close to the red river and OK doesn't require a front plate so you always see more without plates than with them up here.

Dr Sharp,

Try getting a license plate bracket that looks like an "L" from the side...so when installed, the horizontal portion will actually bolt into the aluminum bumper frame, instead of through the skin & the vertical portion is what you bolt the license plate to.

Junk yard ought to be your place to find that kind of treasure.

As to the original question at hand....no clue. I'm in NH.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 2 years later...

Archived