LegacyGT.com

05 OBXT Fog light bulbs

sduford

On the legacy, you need to partially remove the underskirt that extends underneath the car from the wheel well to the bumper. Take off three grommets on each side, and you'll have access to the fog light bulb. Easier if you jack the car up a little. Maybe 5 minutes per side. It's probably the same on the Outback.

Guest *Jedimaster*
After having my fogs out, and looking underneath, I'd imagine the easiest way would be to remove the bumper, then remove the fogs and swap the bulbs out where you're not upside down and miserable. Please don't take this post as sarcastic. The bumper is pathetically easy to remove. BTW, I'd like brighter fogs too- let me know how you like the brighter bulbs :)

Don't go higher than 55 watt. In my previous cars I blew 100w bulbs in days; changing to 55 watt they lasted for years. I decided to try 100w in this car and sure enough, less than 3 weeks after installation, one's out. Most fog enclosures get too hot for anything higher than that.

[quote name='EnJaNir']I put silverstars in (low/high/fogs) and it made a wonderful difference. I suppose I could get some night pics one of these days.[/QUOTE] Osram or Sylvania? The former is good, the latter isn't all that good. Though they do change the color temperature of the light, you don't see any better. Kevin

[size=2][font=Arial]Hello All,[/font][/size] [size=2][font=Arial] [/font][/size] [size=2][font=Arial] The fog lamp Bulb in the ’05 Outback is a 9006. Consider replacing with a similar wattage HIR bulb (9005 high beam can also be replaced with an HIR bulb). The tab on the base of the bulb needs minor modification to fit the housing, but the bulb puts out considerably higher lumens (1875 vs. 1000 lumens for a 55w bulb 9006 bulb – 9005 65w even better) for the same wattage. Here is a great writeup by Peaty on Scoobymods.com…[/font][/size] [size=2][font=Arial] [/font][/size] [url="http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3122"][u][font=Arial][size=2][color=#800080]http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3122[/color][/size][/font][/u][/url] [size=2][font=Arial] [/font][/size] [color=black][font=Verdana]~Scott & Nadia '05 Outback 2.5i Wagon Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic 225/60HR16 BFG Traction T/A's[/font][/color]

Thanks for the tip. It is interesting about the spherical globe on the HIR (Halogen, InfraRed), with an InfraRed reflective coating that bounces the sub-light radiant heat energy back to the filament, causing it to glow brighter, without having to passing more current through it, and not sacrificing bulb life in the process. (not overwattage) I wonder, if more of the heat is contained inside the globe of the bulb, if the headlight housing gets much less hot? If these work as advertized, it will be interesting to see if this gets accepted by the OEMs, Besides the Viper. Highly encourage reading the link. Is it bad manners for someone who is subscribed to scooby-mods to copy and re-post some of the comparison photos here, since scooby-mods members only can see the pics?

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']I wonder, if more of the heat is contained inside the globe of the bulb, if the headlight housing gets much less hot? [/QUOTE] Yes, the point of the IR reflective coating is to reflect the IR range of the spectrum back at the filament, where it heats it further so that energy leaves as increased light output. Now, where are the H3 and H7 versions??!!????

[quote name='GTWag']Here is a link to some HIR H3 bulbs... dunno if these are good or anything about the dealer though... [url="http://www.offroadtuff.com/IPFbulbs.htm"]http://www.offroadtuff.com/IPFbulbs.htm[/url][/QUOTE] errrr vertical filament vs horizontal filament? That might even got worse lighting.. IF it fits. Try it and let us know :p

Archived