LegacyGT.com

Cheap LED Bulb upgrade!(EBAY)

JayMitch2.5i

Just purchased some new bulbes for my car finaly. I was looking for something cheap but not cheap looking and came across this seller on ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Velocity-LEDs. I just bought new reverse and license bulbs just to try them out and there realy nice. Pics's dont do it justice, just thought id spread the word. Gonna be buying interior LED's as well.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x272/JayMitch86/100_0403.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x272/JayMitch86/100_0400.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x272/JayMitch86/100_0404.jpg

LED's are tens times brighter than regular stock bulbs. the stock bulbs cant even compare to how much brighter the LED's are.

That's a very dangerous generalization, there's a lot of crap on the market. :) Which brand of LED are you talking about, which sort of bulb (interior, back-up light, reverse light, or something else?) and how did you compare them?

It's my understanding that LED bulbs are just now becoming feasible as replacements (in terms of power output) for bulbs of this style and output, but I haven't seen any with my own eyes yet. It wouldn't take much to convince me, though.

I'd really like to put some much-brighter backup lights on my car.

I'ld be in for some backup 921 led bulbs if they are bright. I've seen a lot of crappy led bulbs.

I'm tempted to go with these since they list the candlewatt power (not that that means anything 8^)).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/921-912-9-LED-Lights-2-Bulb-Center-Brake-Back-Stop-Tail_W0QQitemZ290125978254QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Most "cheap LED bulb ebay upgrades" I have seen are LED downgrades.

Don't get me wrong, I own 3 high dollar LED flashlights, that all work awesome, but cheap & good seem to be mutually exclusive.

That's my thinking as well. I wonder how many mcd the stock incandescent bulbs put out, it would be interesting to compare the numbers. My guess is that a bundle of regular LEDs still won't equal one stock bulb. I'm waiting to see replacements made from (bundles of) high-output LEDs, like from Luxeon for example.

OP, could you do us all a big favor and put one of your stock bulbs back in? Then take a picture with one side LED and side stock? That would really help us out. Also, if you back up the car so that the reverse light shines on a garage wall, it would be nice if you could take a picture of the garage wall so that we can see how bright it is.

That's my thinking as well. I wonder how many mcd the stock incandescent bulbs put out, it would be interesting to compare the numbers. My guess is that a bundle of regular LEDs still won't equal one stock bulb. I'm waiting to see replacements made from (bundles of) high-output LEDs, like from Luxeon for example.

Exactly, a 1 watt Luxeon, or maybe more would certainly have some brightness advantages. But they cost more. My three 3 watt Luxeon star diving light was around $150.

If i have time tonight i'll get a pic next to a wall so you can see the brightness. I also have tinted windows and there not bright enough to see through the rear. Dont get me wrong there not "The Brightest" bulbs you can buy but for the price there def worth it, there an improvement over stock.

LED's are tens times brighter than regular stock bulbs. the stock bulbs cant even compare to how much brighter the LED's are.

If i have time tonight i'll get a pic next to a wall so you can see the brightness. I also have tinted windows and there not bright enough to see through the rear. Dont get me wrong there not "The Brightest" bulbs you can buy but for the price there def worth it, there an improvement over stock.

I got these the other day because I thought they would be an improvement.

Dead wrong.

See the attached picture.

The light output from the LED bulb isn't very directional. It just shoots the light straight out of the housing whereas the stock bulbs take full advantage of the multi-reflectors in the housing thus sending light in many more directions.

Sorry but in my opinion they're a waste of money for reverse lights.

Note: the color of the light is actually closer to white than blue as seen in that picture, it's still got a hint of blue but no where near as much as that picture.

Oh well, at least they were cheap. Just gotta figure out what the f*ck I'm going to do with them now. :lol:

LEDReverseLights.jpg.70db7b75bef035c40ae027874a345d3f.jpg

That's why they are such pinpoint lights...

If you don't get the ones with LED's all around (pointing backwards, etc) it won't use the reflector at all and it will just shine out through the lens.

That's why they are such pinpoint lights...

If you don't get the ones with LED's all around (pointing backwards, etc) it won't use the reflector at all and it will just shine out through the lens.

While I agree with you and hindsight is indeed 20/20, did this eBay seller ever even HAVE 921/912 bulbs like that when this thread was originally posted?

Archived